Last minute details and nerves | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last minute details and nerves Last minute details and nerves

Unread 05-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Last minute details and nerves

Well today is my last day at home. I have done just about everything I could possibly do. Right now I am doing the last of the laundry. I have stripped the bed, so I have a clean bed. My bag is packed for tommorrow. I have to be at the hospital at 6am surgery is scheduled at 8, I guess that allows them plenty of time to do the preop stuff. I am a nervous wreck. In about 30 minutes I have to start drinking the magnesium stuff to clean out. THen I have two enemas to do later this evening. So much fun.
I have cleaned the house from one end to the other.

My husband has been so wonderful and helpful. So has my 15 year old daughter. However, my daughter is involved in cheerleading and just found out she has practice tomorrow and Wednesday. I hate asking people for help but it looks like I am going to have to.

How do you all deal with getting past asking others for help and trying to keep people from just stopping by to see how you are? I guess I should note, that my inlaws as wonderful as they are live next door. It is good, but also a pain in the rump sometimes. I am afraid that they will be here all the time and I don't want them here that much.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM

nancy...I feel your pain. I am actually living with my in laws (very everybody loves raymond, without robert). I have talked as much as I can about what to expect after surgery. I just keep saying "I really dont know how I will feel, except I might be a little cranky so I am asking for forgiveness now." This way, I don't feel so guilty if I act horribly. I put some weight on DHs shoulders, I told him how i am not gonna want alot of visitors, could he please keep them at bay. He is my appointed bouncer and personal slave.
Don't worry about "hurting anyone's feelings", this is your time to heal (and you only get one shot at it).
AS for asking for help, just do it as simply as possible. To someone you trust, who has offered assistance (like mil for example) just say,"you know, its really great that you offered. I hate to impose, but I could really use some company the day of my surgery." this will make them feel special and useful. I already told my mother that I will be all alone the day before and I don't want to go crazy, so my sister, my mother and I have planned a girl's day out. I have already let some friends know that as much as i would love to see them, please wait until my DH gives the ok for a visit. Its better to set the rules now and be able to relax than worrying about things after the surgery. Hope this helps a little.
Unread 05-29-2006, 10:05 AM

HAHA, I was just about to say you are the Barone's. Your daughter has a whole squad of girls who can give her a ride. STOP being a people pleaser RIGHT THIS SECOND. I found it easier to write a note with instructions. Maybe if you leave your in-laws a note or just tell them you will call them when you are ready for visitors & you need your rest. You appreciate their concern but you need peace & quiet. Change that lock today if you need to, they are very easy to change. You can ask your doc to write you a note saying NO VISITORS if that is what you want. You are the princess, they are the servants, LOL.

The way I got past asking for help THIS time is explaining how I tried to be Wonder Woman after my last 2 surgeries, tried to do too much too soon & have ended up with adhesions both times. I've already had one surgery to remove adhesions & here I go again. I would love nothing more than for this to be my last surgery ever. Explain that you CANNOT lift anything, you need personal assistance (when you are ready to deal with people), you will need help going to the grocery store. Let other people put things into the cart & on the roller thing at the register & put the bags in the cart & in the car & bring them into the house & put them away.

Don't forget to use a NEW razor if you plan on shaving your legs in the morning or tonight. If the razor has been in the shower, like mine, it will have bacteria on it.

Mine is tomorrow too so I feel your anxiety. Just think, this time tomorrow you'll be in recovery. Godspeed to you & you're in my prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2006, 10:07 AM

Hi Nancy,
My surgery is Wednesday (5-31) and my cheery facade has faded for the moment. I'm shaking, too, while I'm cleaning out the fridge, doing laundry, etc. We just moved into our new home (under construction for 15 months and we lived on-site in a cottage the whole time!) --So, there's still so much to do.

But it scares my DH (who is fabulous) when I get scared. Makes him think there is alot to be scared about, and I don't want him to be scared, too! So, I'm trying to stay on a reasonably even keel even when I want to turn the house into one big primal scream room!

Good luck tomorrow. I'm sure we'll both do fine.

Beth
Unread 05-29-2006, 10:10 AM

Thanks both of you. I do need to sit back. We have already been to the grocery store, and spent $300.00 so we should be okay for a little while. I sure don't want any adhesions. I had surgery in October to remove adhesions that had wrapped around my small bowel from my 2 c-sections. The surgery did not bother me, it was the pain that I was in prior to them finally doing the surgery. RIght now, I am drinking the wonderful bowel cleanser.
I love this web site. I am so glad I found it. Thank you to whoever created it.
Unread 05-29-2006, 10:15 AM

Thanks from me, too. You folks (and the participants) are tops in my Gratitude Journal today.
Unread 05-29-2006, 10:28 AM

I agree, the surgery to remove the adhesions was cake, but the months of pain leading up to it were awful. I just don't want them again. I know there is no guarantee but I truly believe my trying to do too much contributed to my getting them.
Unread 05-29-2006, 12:37 PM

You ladies are all going to do great this week, I just know it! Then, when you're feeling up to it, you will come back to this wonderful website and guide the next group of princesses as they prepare for the castle.

Funny, isn't it, how none of us really know anyone here personally yet we feel so close and connected to one another? When I was at the castle, I thought about this place and all the ladies in waiting. I was happy to have the waiting behind me yet anxious for the ladies with their surgeries ahead of them to see that the waiting is really the hardest part.

Good luck to all of you having your surgeries this week! Before you drift off to sleep, know that all of us here will keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register