Nervous about surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous about surgery Nervous about surgery

Unread 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Nervous about surgery

Hello,

I am 27 and a mother of two (three and five year olds) and have just found out that I need to have a TVH for uterine prolapse and a cystocele repair. It is causing a lot of pain and the pessary doesn't help much.

I am a single mom and I am nervous about recovery time and the time spent in the hospital. My kids have never been away from me so the hospital stay is a big deal right now. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Re: Nervous about surgery

Who will help you with the kids and everything?
Plan ahead, ask friends and relatives to help out, not only during the hospital time. I learned here that we need help while recovering.
And hugs. You are so young to go through this.

Ask the hystersisters about details - so much wise women here...
Unread 05-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Make some meals in advance that can be frozen.

Get a bag of new toys/activities to keep them entertained your first few days at home.

If you don't have anyone that can come to your house right after surgery, think about hiring someone to come help. If it is during the summer, think about a high schooler. They would love extra money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Is it bad to say that I feel better that somebody else is in a similar situation? This sounds cruel, but I keep reading all these posts about family not being as supportive as desired, etc... and while they are entitled to feel that way (obviously) and deserve better, it makes me feel a little hostile - because they all have a whole heck of a lot more than I do. They don't have to worry about who's going to go pick up their prescription or anything they may need... somebody who can at least stick a bowl of soup in the microwave - and is big enough to atleast REACH if they need to wash some clothes... just somebody to do the little things they take for granted. It's just going to be me and my son. My family hasn't stepped up (to be fair, I live 6 hours away) and most of my friends have moved away due to job situations. I can't hire anybody - I've been unemployed since March, and haven't even been able to pay May rent... Rather than being reasonable, I can expect harassing calls from the police department b/c I won't be able to drive my son the hour trip to go there, and he'll claim I'm violating the court order (which actually isn't true, but he loves to make false allegations, and calls the police about 3 times a month claiming some kind of violation - when in fact he's looking at going to jail for his interference with parenting time (he gained custody b/c he's a psychologist and the courts lapped up his BS, leaving my son to pay the price). Fortunately, I learned the importance of recording EVERYTHING related to him, and he and his latest wife recently went to court and lied their tails off... which I can prove, so the tables may be turning). But my little boy's home all summer, and he's so damaged and needy now from the events of the past year.. it's goin to be so hard for him. I'd told him he'd be home all summer before I knew I was going to need this - when I told him I may have to pick him up a few weeks later, he was devastated - I just don't think I can do that to him... not as damaged as he already is.. especially since he asks me every time he gets to talk to me when he gets to come back home...
sorry... kinda of went on a tangent there...
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:21 PM

Babegrl -

I am glad that you found us. There have been several members who have recovered alone and with snall children.

Here is a post-op article on Recovering Alone

ALthough this one does mention a partner you may find some useful items here as well Recovering with Small children

I don't know if you have a church or other organization where you could ask for some assistance in watching the children while you recover. Maybe they can go for some overnight visits now while you are around to get used to things or have whomever will be watching them stay in the house.

You will be on lifting restrictions so you'll have to get creative in finding help when you are home. High School in the area where you could find some help before they are out for the summer????

Use the search function to look for threads about recovering alone because there have been others.

Definitely freeze ahead meals or things you can microwave. Also help with the laundry.

sending

G.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register