Anesthesia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Anesthesia

I'm having surgery on 1/29, my told me that I won't be under general anesthesia, that they will do a spinal tap, and an epidural. On my last C-section I had a spinal tap, and before they were done, the feeling came back, my said that I won't have that problem this time since they are doing an epidural also. Has anyone else had this for their surgery verses general anesthesia?
I have to have everything removed, but the is going to try and do it vaginally, with only a small incision for a burch procedure.

Mizmangager surgery 1/29/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 01:08 AM
epidural

I read a fasinating article on pain which I tried to post on this site so others could read, it was pulled to be evaluated and they said they would repost it under fyi so try and find it there, but basically they were saying in the article that if you are having serious surgery it would reduce your future pain experiences by having spinals and or epidurals to totally block the pain.It seems the more pain you experience in life lowers your tolerence to pain you use up a chemical your body produces(chemical p) and your pain receptors are more sensitive the more they ar used, more or less. I plan on asking for both if possible as I had indometriosis removed years back and it hurt worst than anything I have ever had, but I have had alot of pain in past surgeries,broken bones, etc....see if the hostesses have o.k.d the artcle maybey they will give you the address to find it on the net.
good luck on your proceedure regardless of what you decide I am sure it will turn out great.
Yukon Diva
Unread 01-18-2002, 07:46 AM
three cheers for spinals

I had 2 c-sections with spinal and epidural anesthesia and was very concerned when my wanted to use a spinal for my TVH. I expressed my concern to the anesthesiologist saying how nervous I was about it. He was very understanding and explained that for c-sections they can't give you much medication because it passes to the baby.

On the morning of my TVH the last thing I remember was in the holding room before surgery when I was told " we are going to give you something to relax you" . The next thing I remember was waking up back in my hospital room. I would not have worried nearly as much if I had known this.

Now I am an advocate for the spinal

Hope this helps. Sending you a and hoping for a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Spinal worked great!!!

Hi,

I requested a spinal for my TAH/BSO simply because I don't like general. They gave me valium and I dozed comfortably through the whole surgery. When I woke up the valium really helped me cope with the numbness. I would definitely choose a spinal if I had to again!!!

Blessings,
Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register