hello I just found out 2-21-2002 that I need a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hello I just found out 2-21-2002 that I need a hysterectomy hello I just found out 2-21-2002 that I need a hysterectomy

Unread 02-22-2002, 07:53 AM
hello I just found out 2-21-2002 that I need a hysterectomy

I hope I am doing this right
as I am new here
I found out yesterday that I need a hysterectomy
I am 42 years old and I have 3 daughters and 9 grandkids
I am just so afraid that I will not be normal again after I have this done
my problem is this I am a healthy women
for the past 6 months I have been having pelvic support problems and I lose urine when I am coughing ,sneezing,lauhging walking or moving to fast
my uterus has been tipped for the last 19 years
and now that i am getting older all my female organs are falling down
and pushing on my bladder which makes me have to go use the bathroom it is not just alittle
it is alot
it don't matter if i just went to the bathroom
it is so bad that i have to wear depends now all the time
I can't work (I drive a forklift )so that makes it realy hard to do my job
well anyway sorry to ramble on so I was wanting to know if anyone else has had the same thing and had a hysterectomy do to pelvic support problems
and if so what was the outcome
and If i have this done what would be the best way to go cause I want him to take everything out I don't want to have to go through this again
thanks
and hugs
ladypeewee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2002, 08:22 AM

l((((((((((((LadyPeewee)))))))))))))

I welcome you to hystersisters. You will find many great ladies here who have gone through the same type of problem that you are facing.
There is also an options forum you can check out to research your specific questions about the validity of your hysterectomy. Likewise, the site offers and 'Aching Hearts' site to address your fear of becoming less of a woman after the surgery. I urge you to do a lot of research in order to calm your fears.
It sounds as if you have been living in misery for quite awhile now and the surgery is neccessary but only you and your doctor can make that decision. However, I do believe in doing homework to ensure you are making the right decision for you.

As for 'taking everything out', well I felt the same way until I came here and realized that if the ovaries are healthy and in no danger of becoming diseased then they should stay. The hormonal imbalance created with their removal cause surgical Menopause to occur. Instead of going through menopause over several years, your body is thrust into it all at once. However, if the ovaries need to be removed for your life's sake then there are many, many hormone treatments out there to talk to your doctor about.

Your fears are valid, your sense of loss is valid and you are in the best place in the world to arm yourself with knowledge about what lays before you.
I would also recommend WebMD.com as a pure informational site to supplement the practical information that you will receive here. I am so very glad you found this site, for I know that you will treasure the discovery all your life.

Many Hugs and prayers on your journey,
Unread 02-22-2002, 09:49 AM

Hi Ladypeewee, congratulations on finding the right place at the right time! I am sure you will find lots of information at this site that will help you, and lots of support too.

I had my surgery on 2/4 so I am 18 days post so far, still new to this. Before the surgery I had a 3rd degree prolapse plus a cystocele and rectocele. My cervix was visible outside my body (freaked me out!), I had the problems you describe about constantly having to urinate, plus I had the same problems at the "other end". I felt like I was always in the bathroom for something or other, and I had to push my cervix in with my fingers every time I went!

I had a TVH/BSO/A&P repair and resuspension of the bladder, rectum and "anything else she could find hanging down while she was in there". Already I can tell you it was SO worth it. I am still sore but nothing I can't handle; the worst part is the restrictions on activity because I feel pretty good (but I know I won't if I overdo it, you can read plenty about that on this site!), and the best part is that yesterday I sneezed suddenly for the first time since the surgery, and I instinctively tried to cross my legs fast but didn't make it, and -- get this -- NOTHING HAPPENED!!!!!

As far as HRT goes I am gathering from this site that everybody's different. It's still early for me but I can tell you that I am using an estrogen patch and so far no problems at all; in fact the symptoms I was having before the surgery (hot flashes, night sweats) have stopped!

Probably the most important thing I want to tell you is to make sure you have a DR you trust and keep good communications with him or her. Don't feel like any of your questions are "too stupid" to ask. Now is the time to get all the information you need to make yourself comfortable with your decision. Good luck and lots of

- Linda
Unread 02-22-2002, 02:55 PM

Ladypeewee. Welcome to hystersisters. During my pre-op days..I was very worried about how I'd feel and if I'd be different after surgery. The only difference I've noticed is that I have more energy and my moods are stable.

What type of surgery are you having???
Unread 02-22-2002, 05:51 PM
I think I am having a TAH/BSO

is going to do a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy
if everything goes as planed
I go for my pre op apt . on march 15th then in the hospital on the 18th
this is the first time I have ever had to face anything like this
even when I had my kids I had it easy I never had any labor pains
so now to face something like this is just too much but I am tired of all the trips to the bathroom and wearing depends all the time
I don't have anything hanging out of my vagina as of yet but I am sure if I wate I will
I was having abdominal cramps and was in the hospital for 4 days last july the doctor ran alot of test but could not find anything then last nov. it started again so my doctor had an abdominal ultra sound done and found out I have a fibroid on my uterus it's not very big only about 13cm
every time I have had a pap smear done over the last few years I had said something about losing pee when I coughed but the doctor didn't say anything about it so I thought it was normal with age so I quit saying anything about it
this doctor I am seeing now asked me about it when he did my last pelvic exam to feel the fibroid and I told him all about it that's when he said that he thought I should have a hysterectomy
I want to thank you ladies for your support
and understanding
can someone tell me how to get ready for something like this cause I need all the help I can get
ladypeewee
Unread 02-22-2002, 05:59 PM

Here's a link for you to look at. Go to the Ladies in Waiting section - there's lots of info there that will get you started.

We'll help you get ready...AND we'll be here with you through recovery.

https://www.hystersisters.com/#table

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register