Should I keep my cervix or let it go? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I keep my cervix or let it go? Should I keep my cervix or let it go?

Unread 04-29-2002, 07:12 PM
Should I keep my cervix or let it go?

Hello all!

Had my pre-op appt. last Thursday with my Dr.. He answered all my questions and commented that I had done my homework well; most of his patients weren't that well informed. Of course, I couldn't resist; told him about this marvelous website. He asked for the address so he could share it with his other patients!

I now feel pretty confident about my decision to have the surgery; removal of uterus and ovaries. However, I am still debating on the merits of having my cervix removed. I can find no reasonable reason to do so. I have researched the posts but so far have found little as to the positive versus the negative aspects. My Dr says he removes the cervix as a matter of routine but would be more than happy to leave it if that is my wish.

Share your thoughts sisters and help me make an informed decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2002, 07:18 PM

Why do you want to keep it? My doc hadn't asked me, but when she got in there, it wasn't a matter of choice. Before reading this board, I would have preferred to keep it, but finding out it could still produce a 'mini' period, I'd say take it out too.

Talk to your doc more about the pros and cons. There are quite a few discussions on this board about it too.
Unread 04-29-2002, 07:24 PM

Mesa;

That's so great that he was so open to check out HS! I sort of got "yessed" at first about it, but when I mentioned it several times, I think he took more notice!

My doctor told me the same thing about removing my cervix - I'd asked about WHY he would remove it if there was nothing wrong with it. He said he'd leave it if I wished, but after more reading and thinking about it, I decided to have it removed. I read some things about it changing "O"s, but I read just as much or more about it not changing them, or at least not removing them too. I have cancer in my family, and it was one more place that I might not get it.

Also, on my pathology report, they found that I had chronic cervicitis and Nabothian cysts. As I understand it, Nabothian cysts aren't a big problem usually, but they can cause discharge and are a mild infection.

I'm glad I had mine out.

Best wishes in your decision.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2002, 09:02 AM

I wasn't given a choice, he just took it, but after reading all this site has to offer I'm glad it's gone. Why go through all this surgery and still have mini periods after? Really no reason to keep it and it can one day have cancer. Best wishes as you make this decision!
Unread 04-30-2002, 12:03 PM

Hi Mesa,

I didn't have a choice on keeping mine as I had a TAH. Are you having a vaginal hyster? Does cancer run in your family? Sounds like your doctor is a good one going with your wishes. Has your mom ever had any problems with her cervix?

I haven't noticed anything different with sex, except no PAIN and no BLEEDING! Everything is tons better than it was too.

I'm glad you are looking at your options. Please read the pull-down menus on the main page, if you haven't already. www.hystersisters.com There is a ton of information on this site!

You can also use the search feature to look for cervix. I bet you will come up with lots of threads about this.

Sara
Unread 04-30-2002, 02:07 PM

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

I also haven't noticed anything different about sex.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register