Thank you for this site! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thank you for this site! Thank you for this site!

Unread 04-24-2002, 09:54 PM
Thank you for this site!

I have been here for three days (nights, actually) since my gyn (a woman, thank goodness) told me she was leaning in recommending a hyst (not sure which yet, waiting for endo biopsy results next week). I barely knew what a fibroid was (5 cm) much less that there were so many types/options of hysts!

My history: had a 12 day period about 2 years ago, then about 9 months ago had a VERY heavy period, lots of HUGE clots, scared me to death (lasted about a month!). Went to my GP who gave me hormones to stop the bleeding (it didn't). He then tried to give me a endo biopsy (I felt totally violated!!). Since then I've had either spotting or flowing 3 weeks out of 4. I finally asked for a referral to a female gyn.

She's a blessing! Would not even address the bleeding until I had tests done (blood work, sonogram). Turns out my blood level is 9 (normal is 12-15 --- does that mean volume? I was too embarassed to ask) but have been on iron pills since the results came back. She informed me that I had a 5cm fibroid and was leaning toward recommending a hyst, but didn't want to talk about it until the endo biopsy (seemed like little more than a pap!) results cam back.

Because of the size of my fibroid, my understanding a TVH is probably out of the question. I'm currently trying to compile a list of questions to take to the doctor next Wednesday.

She had also mentioned that because of my low blood level (?), she could give me a shot that would shoot me into full-blown menopause (temporary, she informed me) that would REALLY stop the bleeding, allowing me to build back up (and experience hot flashes & night sweats). She mentioned this as an option to a transfusion (and who wants one these days!).

Since I don't have kids, I don't have any particular attachment (pun intended) to my uterus, but I'm wondering about whether to have my ovaries removed or not. Please excuse my ignorance, but my understanding is that the argument for removal would be no ovarian cancer possiblity; the argument against would be that I wouldn't need to start hrt right away. To be honest, I feel like I've been having a period for 9 months, it's just that some days are heavier than others.

Again, thanks to those who started this site, the wonderful hostesses, and the members willing to share their stories! I've never been one to share to this degree, but was inspired by those whose stories I read!

Love to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:56 PM
welcome

gustogal,

You sound exhausted! I too have fibroids and have given BIRTH to blood clots. Fibroids are the number one reason for hysterectomies. You have come to the right place. Many of us here suffer from . Sounds like you have a great doctor now. The blood level is probably reference to your hemoglobin. Your red blood cell count. We are commonly given iron to increase our count (9 back up to 12 ).

Please ask your doctor about the shot. Find out exactly what it is and do research on it if you are not familiar with it. We really need to know what is going into our bodies, because we do have choices.

Besides the iron, which you must take daily, make sure you add iron fortified foods to your diet. Been feeling tired? Heart racing when you make the bed? Cold or dizzy? When you build your iron back up you will feel so much better. I couldn't take just iron because it would upset my tummy so I found the time-released and it is much better.

You're right about the ovaries. Also, sometimes the doctor takes a look at them during surgery and makes a decision with your permission, if one or both don't look healthy.

Try the pull down menu on hormones and maybe that will help you make a decision. At my age, 53, I would take the ovaries as the average age for ovarian cancer is 62 and menopause should be here any moment zaping the hormones. But...it is a hard call. Best of luck and...welcome to this wonderful supporting site filled with great women who we call sisters.

Maralyn
Unread 04-24-2002, 11:06 PM
more

Hi again,

Check out page two(at the bottom) look for the thread by Tess called, Lupron and bleeding. Is this the shot your doctor is talking about?
Nite
Maralyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2002, 02:17 AM
Thank you for this site!

Hi, and welcome to the best site on the web. Talked to you a bit in chat earlier today as well, please come back there often, we have a lot of fun and answer questions and concerns as best we can.

I too am a HUGE fan of female doctors. I had a great male OB/GYN when I was pregnant with my daughter (26 years ago), but other than my daughter's great pediatrician, have had negative experiences with most male docs. Now, that is not to say there are not good male doctors out there, just that when it comes to female problems and concerns, another female has, IMO, a better understanding of what we are going through, and more sympathy for us fellow females.

I had ongoing problems for eight to ten years, growing more severe with each passing year. By December of last year, I was hemorhhaging on and off constantly, landing me in the ER in January for an emergency transfusion. I had two Lupron injections to try to shrink my VERY large fibroid and stop the bleeding, but alas, I was one of the .01 percent of women who actually get worse on that particular drug. The fibroid and adeno got worse, and the bleeding never stopped. By the time I had surgery on 3/20, I had to be admitted a day early for another transfusion, and was still anemic when I left the hospital.

But the good news is, I am feeling so much better than I did before surgery that I can hardly believe it!! My energy level is improving every day. I'm actually making plans to do fun things once I'm really back in the groove again. I see possibilities in the future that I couldn't even dream of before, because I was so debilitated by bleeding and pain.

Keep reading and posting and learning, and come to chat often. This site is the greatest place to get information and support, and there is always someone somewhere on here who is having or has had the exact same experience you are having - whatever it is! It's just downright amazing.

I hope to see you around often.

Unread 04-25-2002, 07:16 PM
Thank you for this site!

Hi Maralyn and Giofog,

Thanks for your responses --- it's great to know I'm not going crazy or alone in this mess! If it's Lupron she's talking about, I don't think I'm interested --- I've read too much wierd stuff here! But I am taking iron twice a day (I've got a pretty strong constitution) and eating lots of leafy, green things! Am really looking forward to my appointment on Wednesday. I'm currently compiling a list of questions (and it'll be extensive, I'm sure), because I want to know exactly what's going on. Thanks for your support and advice ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register