Sisters I need you | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sisters I need you Sisters I need you

Unread 05-09-2002, 11:36 AM
Sisters I need you

I am supposed to go in On Monday, and now my hands are shaking. I was okay yesterday, tried to get my mind off of it. The fact of the matter is I've never been hooked up to a catheter before, etc and the thought of the whole hospital experience really puts me in terror. I have been able to cope up until now and I had no idea the anxiety would get this bad for me. I need your support, and I just feel so afraid at times that I don't want to go through with it. And other times I'm more relaxed. How do I get by till MOnday? I think I'll phone my pharmacist and ask him if I can take a nerve pill. I think I can just to take the edge off.
I feel like a coward, but I'm afraid that I'll be a mess emtionally, as I've been diving up and down. I'm not trying to scare any ladies in waiting, this is just me, and everybody is different.
I love you sisters! Big s
Sandy
(LAVH with anterior repair for prolapse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Sisters I need you

Hi, Sandy,

I am aware that you have extra-special reasons to feel anxious about this surgery.

I hope your hospital will respond to your exceptional needs with caring and sensitivity. As I suggested in another Forum, please speak up for yourself and make your concerns and needs known.

I hope you'll benefit from medication to relieve anxiety.

I'm praying for you, that your surgery will go well, and that all of your needs will be met. You are precious to your Hystersisters, and we care very much about you.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 05-09-2002, 11:47 AM
Big hugs to our sister

Sandy,
I have not had my surgery yet but I have had other surgeries. I find that the closer it gets the more I worry. First of all, the cath is only uncomfortable, a bit like a burning feeling for a few moments. I kind of find myself on "automatic pilot" when I get close to surgery. You are going to do fine and none of us think of you as a coward. You are scared. That's normal. Try to stay busy if you can, without wearing yourself out. I am unable to sleep on most nights because I can't get my brain to turn off. I ask myself what am I most worried about? PAIN! LOL Try to llok at it this way...yes, there will be pain. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel. No periods, no cramping, no flooding, no pain evey month. Look at this as a short term kind of pain. Do you have a support system at home? What are your fears exactly? Maybe we can help. The hospital staff know you are scared. They will be pleasant and help you along your way. Ask for something to help you relax. they can do their jobs better if you are comfortable. BIG BIG HUGS. Hang in there!
Unread 05-09-2002, 11:48 AM
Sisters I need you

Hang in there! The waiting is surely the most difficult part. My catheter was inserted while I was under. Don't worry about that. Before you know it-you will be in recovery. Having something to get the edge off-may b a great idea.
Take care.
Unread 05-09-2002, 11:56 AM
((((HUGS)))))

Sweet Sandy,

Don't be scared! Catheters aren't THAT bad. (They will probably do it when you are asleep and can't feel it.) You can DO this!!! Just think about how great your life will be when you are done and it's all over. s

Call the dr and tell him how scared you are. See if he will give you something to calm you down. You'll be O.K.

Take a bubble bath, watch a chick flick you have always wanted to see but your dh won't go with you; paint your fingernails AND your toenails; go get a massage; do something to your hair that you have always wanted to do but were afraid because you didn't want to go out in public with it that way (you'll have all summer to grow it out! ) Go to the nursery and buy a plant to put by your bed that will smell sweet all summer long (jasmine is WONDERFUL!)

Do any of these suggestions help? I wish I could hold your hand and give you a I guess this will have to do. Just remember, you CAN do this!

Love and prayers,
Unread 05-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Me too on Monday

I think its perfectly normal for you to be scared. This is a big deal. I too am going on Monday....but for a TAH. I cry and get shakey sometimes when I think of it too. But then I think of how may women have said "Wow, you're going to feel like a new person when this is over with!" Almost every day I encounter someone who re-itereates this thought! Focus on the positive outcome of this and realize that sometimes we have to go through #### to get to heaven! I've had so much pain in the last 3 months that I welcome surgery pain if this constant pain goes away! Don't be hard on yourself for your feelings. You're entitled to feel how you feel and express it! Cry if you have too, then pick yourself up and march in to the hospital on Monday and just do it! By the way, you don't "feel" a catheter, in fact your bladder doesn't fill up and create pressure which in itself is a relief!
Hang in there, and good luck to ya!

Rachel
:
Unread 05-09-2002, 12:10 PM
Sisters I need you

Thankyou sisters for responding so quickly. I am new in this town where I live so I have literally reached out to people that I can instintively trust. So someone is coming over later for a cup of tea and just to be with me. I'm alone with my baby during the day. Trying not to whine. No real support accept for this site. However if I can just hang in there until Sat afternoon, my sister should be here. Also checked with the preop and I can take what they have recommended for anxiety. So I'm going to get something to eat and take a mild nerve pill. Because I get these thoughts like what if I don't come out of the surgery, I don't want to leave my children, and I want to have a chance to have a good painfree life.
Thankyou sisters, I truly hope I haven't scared anyone.
Love and s,
Sandy
Unread 05-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Monday

I am also going in on Monday. It is a scarry thought after all this waiting. I have read so much on this sight that I have not been nervous at all. I have felt totally prepared until my doctor called about 30 min ago and moved my surgery up by 1 hour now my heart is racing tell me what is up with that. Like 1 hour makes a difference why can't I settle down!!!!!!! Good luck on surgery I will be going to Branson for Friday & Saturday so this will take my mind off everything I hope!
Unread 05-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Sisters I need you

I have had several surgeries. What you imagine is always a LOT worse than what actually happens. Most of the women here have said that they were given a sedative (before any other anesthesia) and the next thing they knew they were in the recovery room. The epidural, catheter, and even general anesthesia all happened and they didn't remember it. That's the way it was for me too. They even have a topical anesthetic these days so that when they put in your IV (to give you the sedative), you won't feel even that!

Try to remind yourself that there are many of us that were just as scared as you that have gone before you. We all came out of the whole thing saying "The waiting was the worst part!" We can't ALL be wrong. You will be saying the same thing soon.
Unread 05-09-2002, 12:51 PM
Sisters I need you

((((((SANDY)))))))

You are so perfectly NORMAL!!! Personally, if you got on the site and posted about how totally at ease and worry free you were, I'd think you were a loon!! This is a VERY big deal. Did I say Very big?? I mean VERYVERYVERYVERY BIG DEAL!!! You're looking at surgery and change in your life that is permanent. Trying to ignore the fear will only create a pressure cooker inside of you.

Like many of the sisters have said, just think about the things that have you worried. Say them outloud. THEN, think about the counter points to them. Pain now...no pain later. Planned surgery where you can educate yourself about the hospital procedures.....emergency surgery where you have no say so in what happens. Planned surgery with a doctor you know....or repeat ER visits with docs you've never seen.

I am sitting here waiting for the hospital to call and tell me what time to show up for my surgery tomorrow morning. I'm totally calm right now. This morning?? Not so much. I was wailing like a baby and refused to let my 4 yo son get down and play because I felt the need to hug him to death..lol It's not that the worry will go away, you'll just realize that this is happening no matter what, and dang don't I have somethign better to do than worry about something I can't control? That got me off the crying jag this morning and into the playroom with him.....tear-free (almost)!

I'm wishing you the BEST of luck. I'll be in Princess recovery when your May 13th well wish goes up, so I wish you good luck and and an uneventful surgery now! You can do this!!!I can't wait to hear you after-story next week!!!

Believing in you!
Joby

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register