Opinions please? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Opinions please? Opinions please?

Unread 05-21-2002, 10:25 AM
Opinions please?

Hi ladies

Well, I talked to my surgeon...who basically told me no.

I felt flustered - so I wrote this, and faxed it. Could you wonderful women read this and give me your views?

Thanks...

Tess (depressed)

Fax:

After we talked briefly about hysterectomy and Lupron, I was able to think, and consult with my husband about the situation. I did feel somewhat rushed during our conversation, thus I put down my thoughts and wishes on paper.

I’ve suffered for almost 20 years now, from excrutiating and debillitating pain with my periods. I’m 28 years old – my quality of life is currently unacceptable. Regardless of the endometriosis that we cleared in January, prior to that my periods were either incredibly painful, would last 10-14 days and longer, or both.

Although the Lupron appeared to work for around 6 weeks, i.e. no pain or bleeding, the side effects, combined with those of Aygestin, approach intolerable. My quality of life right now is very poor. I lost my job in April due to taking too much time off sick – for persistent LLQ pain and bleeding during the prior 12 months. Although the effects of Lupron were tempered by the addition of Aygestin, the Aygestin itself causes me to suffer severe depression, which has up to this point been controlled by Paxil.

Although you’ve theorised that the pain could be GI related, I’m doubtful of this, as the Lupron seemed to work for awhile, and this pain is the same type and quality that I’ve experienced all along.

At this point, I would like to make it clear that continuing with the Lupron and Aygestin is no longer an option for me. The side effects simply outweigh any benefit for me, especially as the majority of endometriosis patients do suffer recurrence after the cessation of treatment. I do not wish to begin birth control, for the same reasons. I’ve read several books on both alternative treatments, and hysterectomy. As such, I have made an informed decision to request a hysterectomy to alleviate my discomfort, pain and suffering. I am aware of the surgical risks and benefits, and I am also aware that I will need HRT afterwards. I believe that hysterectomy will also provide lifelong protection against uterine cancer, which is not a benefit of other treatments. I do not wish to preserve my fertility, as my husband and I made a conscious decision to adopt as and when we start a family. I also believe that avoidance of hysterectomy at this point would unnecessarily subject me to the risks of undergoing the procedure at a later date, when the risk of complications may be higher.

I do need to discuss this with you further. If you are unwilling to consider my request at this point, please let me know of your reasons. I respect you both as a physician and a compassionate man, however this is a decision I have made, and I may need to seek care elsewhere, depending on our future discussions. Please contact me as soon as possible so we can discuss this further. At this time, as I’ve made the decision not to continue Lupron, the sooner I could have the surgery, the sooner I can get my life back. I want to live again, and feel like a 28 year old woman. I look forward to hearing from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2002, 10:45 AM
You GO girl!

That letter is very well written. It completely outlines what you have been through and what you want. If this DR does not feel comfortable doing a hyst for you, then seek help with a different DR. You have suffered enough already and your "biological age" should have nothing to do with his decision. You come across as a well spoken, intelligent woman who knows what she wants! I had the same problem concerning age and a procedure. I had a c-sect at 21. Had conceived on the pill. Wanted no more kids! I asked for a tubal while they were doing the C. They tried to change my mind and then told me I needed hubby's permission! He was in the waiting room and happily obliged! Just because you are 28 does not mean you can not make informed choices concerning your health. Have hubby go with you and see if he can help make an impact. If not, by all means see another DR!
Keep us updated, please.
Unread 05-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Excellent letter!

Hopefully you get the response you are looking for! If not, I would find a new dr, one who is more open to considering your choices in this matter.

It's funny how some drs take a conservative approach to this and others just let you make that informed choice. My dr gave me three choices and left it up to me: Try another BCP (not a good option as I have severe migraines already), live with the pain (not a good option, as it affects quality of life) or hysterectomy, when I'm ready. I didn't even need time. I had done my research and know that this is the best route for me.

Many s to you as you are waiting to hear from your dr. In the meantime, keep reading this site! And please do keep us posted!
Unread 05-21-2002, 11:07 AM
Opinions please?

s

What a frustrating merry-go-round to be on!

I've been on one (though with different music) & am finally almost off the ride.....has taken many years, lots of 'alternative treatments', misc. different doctors, gynecologists & second & third & fourth & fifth opinions......

I agree with Lil Hellion ~ your letter is wonderfully orchestrated. It comes across clear, preceise & non-defensive. It accurately outlines the why, the how, & the when.

You keep copies of that letter & show it to any other doctors you may have to go see if this one does not want to be a 'team player.'.

I also agree with Lil Hellion ~ take the hubster with you! Show hubter your letter, make sure he's fully aware & familiar with your feelings & history. Unfortunately, even though it's your female health at question, a male, many times, will respond better to another male. If need be, have your hubster 'stand up for you', speak 'on your behalf' - or just punch that nasty doctor in the nose!!

It IS your life, your body - your quality of life, your health. You have every right to take control.

Many s & lots of strength. You CAN do this!!!

Please! Please! Please! Keep us posted.
Unread 05-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Opinions please?

Excellent letter, Tess. You are intelligent and articulate and have obviously done your homework. If this doctor doesn't agree with what YOU know is best for you and your life, definitely find someone else ---
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Shelley
Unread 05-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Proud of You!

That letter was so well-written! If your dr can't seem to agree to the treatment that you feel is the best choice for you, FIND A NEW ONE! What a sanctimonious child-born-out-of-wedlock!!! (I figured that the editor would change that one.) You have educated yourself, tried the alternatives, and opted for the best treatment. You even gave him the choice of helping you or being fired. If he has any morals as a dr, he will help you in the method you see fit. It IS your body and it IS your life! I am glad you stood up for yourself!

In the meantime, s to you and I hope you are able to find some peace and comfort while you wait. Good luck and keep us posted!
Unread 05-21-2002, 11:35 AM
Good For YOU!

Tess,

I'm 31 and finally having my surgery on June 10th but it took five years of suffering to have someone listen to me. I won't go into the struggle with my gyn but finally, I left her and found a wonderful doctor who told me that he was a bit more open minded than other docs. Although I'm just 31, he said that I should no longer have to suffer for my age and that he was more than happy to help me to reduce my risks of cancer and alleviated my pain. He may have graduated from medical school before I was even born but he is definitely up on his medicane!!

So, in short, you search and do not, I repeat, DO NOT BE AFRAID OF TELLING YOUR DOCTOR WHO'S BOSS. They are providing you with a service that you are paying for and I think that a lot of them forget that!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register