Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Sexual Dysfunction After Hysterectomy

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy

Unread 08-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Unhappy - Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy

I had a total hysterectomy on 10/31/2005. I recently started having sex again. My sex drive is just fine, probably better than it ever was before! My problem is that even though I reach the peak and feel as if I am having an orgasm, there is no evidence of having one. Is this normal after having a hysterectomy? Is there something that I can do to fix this problem? I am afraid that I am going to lose my "new" friend again. I have started seeing my high school sweetheart and he is thinking that I am not satisfied with him. Please help me with this matter. I don't think that I can go through losing him again, and I want him to know that I do enjoy being with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy

Hi Shellshumante,

I too have lost my orgasm. If you find out how to fix this problem, please write and let me know.

Thanks,
Tullip
Unread 08-15-2006, 07:07 AM

I hope that there is an answer to this problem. I hate the thought that the man I still love (and have recently been reunited), feels that he can't satisfy me. We started talking again last week, and it is like the past 20 years didn't exist, that is except for the teenagers that we both have seperately. How can I solve this problem (no evidence of an orgasm)? I will take any opinions on this matter. Like I said before, I sure would hate to lose him again, it has taken 20 years for us to find each other again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2006, 01:21 PM

Hi shellshumate

Welcome to Hystersisters

It's not uncommon to experience sexual dysfunction following a hysterectomy, especially when our ovaries are removed. I personally experienced significant difficulty with orgasm until I found the right combination of hormones which include Vivelle Dot, estrogen vaginal cream, and compounded testosterone cream 1%.

In that regard, it would be helpful if you would let us know if you are on any kind of hormone replacement, what kind, how long, etc.

You might also find the FSD (Female Sexual Dysfunction) articles helpful. There are several here:

FSD Articles

Hope some of this helps.

's
Unread 09-26-2006, 05:52 AM

I can relate to this topic, as I am six months out from surgery, and sex just isn't the same. I had the TAH/BSO, and although our sex life is just as before, I can no longer achieve the "higher" level of orgasm that I used to be able to.
Before, it was with lots of deep orgasm feelings, now, it seems since I do not have the ovaries, the deep muscle feeling is gone, and all I can feel is the minute, quick, outer orgasm that is over in a second and not the kind that makes you feel intense. I'm left with a feeling of "is that it?" It's such a let down. Sex is not the same for me now because of this. My DH feels that if he just tries harder...but I know that is not the case.
I do not regret my surgery, for it was needed, but I mourn the loss of intense orgasms. I guess it's all in perspective, right?
Best wishes to you and anyone going thru this with us.
Unread 10-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Unhappy - Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy

I am in the same boat and am in deep mourning for my "real" orgasms right now. I had my surgery just over a year ago (the anniversary was beyond hard - and it happens to be 3 days after my birthday). Anyway, my DH and I have a wonderful sexual life but I don't have big O's anymore. I used to have orgasms that would go up my spine and seem to explode out of my head. I wget all the sensations that I used to get with a big O all the way up to the end where it would go up my spine and then just Phht. Nothing. No afterglow even. It just stops. Like a bottle rocket with a big squeal, a little pop, then nothing. It makes me so sad. I have a great relationship with my husband and the emotions are there, and all the sensations but the big finish are there. It is so frustrating. Unfortunately, I think it is due to no longer having cervical and uterine contractions, and no amount of hormones can give that back. I've been doing some research (hubby is a medical scientist so I have some access to medical lit) but the research is just insufficient. Female orgasms are so poorly defined that researchers literally don't know that what they are asking women doesn't really provide meaningful data.
My husband feels guilty because he feels responsible for my cancer since it originated in a pregnancy, so hence he feels responsible for this, even though he is a generous lover. He knows that I feel this deep disappointment after making love and that is also very sad. I just don't think there is anything that can be done. I guess its better than death by cancer, but not much.
Is anyone else hurt to read that "most women have better sexual experiences after their surgery"? It feels so dismissive to me. I saw one article that said something to the effect to some women "miss" uterine contractions. Miss? Try mourn, sweetie.
Unread 10-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Some help for Big O

Hi Ladies! I'm new here, 39 y.o., 6 years post op complete hyster due to severe endometriosis. I still have orgasms, but like many of the posts I'm reading, they are not the same as before. The intensity is definitely gone, the whole body effect is missing, it's like listening to an orchestra but no violins. Or like a yawn that won't flip over to the satisfying exhaling side. If I had it to do over again, I would have demanded to keep my cervix. I did mention it and my dr blew me off. I do want to share one thing that has helped intensify them, though admitedly still not to the level they were. I have found that if my bladder is full (not painfully so, but full enough to need to "go"), the orgasms are more intense. I don't know if a full bladder presses on something, or if it contracts too or what, but it definitely helps. Maybe worth a try for some of you. Anybody else experienced this?
Unread 05-19-2019, 01:23 AM
Re: Loss of orgasm since my hysterectomy

I am 2 years post TAH (cervix removed under pressure as was a borderline ovarian tumour). I am devastated that I can't orgasm as before and I am deeply hurt that my consultant did not explain that I would never have the same orgasm again... he said I didn't need my womb or cervix...I can get clitorally stimulated, the feeling builds up, but just fizzles out to nothing... I no longer get the deep 'contractions' inside that I used to. I can't understand why this is not being explained to women, as has come as a big shock to me now and am having difficulty coming to terms with it :-(
Unread 08-29-2019, 10:28 AM

Thank you ladies because I thought I was alone with this issue. I had my surgery 4 years ago and if I knew what I know now, I definitely would've kept my cervix. Sometimes I have to assume I had an orgasm. So frustrating when I use to have great orgasms.
Unread 05-23-2020, 04:32 PM

I had total Hysterectomy 10 years ago. I used to be on HysterSisters constantly getting advice and support. its been years since I have posted anything here. but this subject is important to me so I want to let you know that after I healed from my hysterectomy I noticed that my mental sexual response had totally changed, and my body's response as well. First my desire plummeted and further went downhill when I discovered that my orgasms were SO different without a uterus. I used to have strong orgasms involving my uterus -- deep organisms that were very satisfying. But after my surgery, the orgasms were weak, a shadow of what they once were. I had clitoral orgasms - it seemed that way, but with out my uterus it was just a kerplunk when there once was a Va VOOM, if you will. So why the bother-- This went on for some time until I had to accept this "new normal' in my life. Now I am happy with my sex life because its more in my head than in my body-- fantasys can be very useful. I just accepted that it is what it is. However, I wish someone would have told me that it would be different.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register