PEG (polyethylene glycol) Allergy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PEG (polyethylene glycol) Allergy? PEG (polyethylene glycol) Allergy?

Unread 10-13-2021, 10:26 AM
PEG (polyethylene glycol) Allergy?

I had an allergic reaction to the Moderna vaccine and it appears I have an allergy to PEG (polyethylene glycol) which is in MANY things. Does anyone else have this allergy and how did you get through surgery? What medicines were substituted for the normal ones?

I already found that regular strength Tylenol doesn't contain it and neither does one version of Advil. Of course, I had already stocked up with the other stuff since prior to the vaccine, I didn't have any strong reactions to those medications, but now I can't take them.

I had also stocked up on Miralax because I used to take it pre-vaccine and now it causes intense inflammation because it's PEG! There goes my plan on keeping ahead of constipation. Guess I'm stuck with magnesium? There is a prescription stool softener called Lactulose but I've never tried it.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2021, 01:54 PM
Re: PEG (polyethylene glycol) Allergy?

I'm so sorry. This sounds so stressful. I can't help with you allergy questions, but I can say that my doctor gave me all of my prescriptions at my pre op appointment which was about two weeks before my surgery. I was able to go into surgery with all of my medicine at home.

As far as constipation goes maybe you could check out "Smooth Move" tea by Traditional Medicinals. I got mine at Target. I've seen it at the grocery store.
Unread 10-13-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaineyBob View Post
I'm so sorry. This sounds so stressful. I can't help with you allergy questions, but I can say that my doctor gave me all of my prescriptions at my pre op appointment which was about two weeks before my surgery. I was able to go into surgery with all of my medicine at home.

As far as constipation goes maybe you could check out "Smooth Move" tea by Traditional Medicinals. I got mine at Target. I've seen it at the grocery store.
Aw, thanks! Tea closes up my throat otherwise I'd totally try it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Yesterday, 03:55 AM
PEG (polyethylene glycol) Allergy?

Please do not try any constipation remedies prior to your surgery without your surgeon's approval; he will expect your bowels to be in a particular condition when you arrive for surgery, and doing anything without his approval can lead to complications, so I recommend that you discuss your allergy and your concerns with him, so he can modify your prescription accordingly. If you do want to be proactive about preventing constipation, then I recommend seeing to it that you have the following items on hand, to be brought into use after your surgery: a good pair of walking shoes; an easy-open water bottle; fiber from frozen blueberries, whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, and maybe a supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; ground flaxseeds - I buy them whole and grind them in a coffee grinder; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; sugar alcohols from apple or pear juice, prunes, dried apricots, frozen cherries or sugarless gum; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Also keep in mind that narcotic painkillers that are commonly prescribed after surgery can cause constipation; as an alternative, I suggest asking your surgeon about taking naproxen (Aleve), an NSAID like ibuprofen (Advil), which worked well for me after I had to stop taking the narcotics because of an adverse GI reaction, and which a study recently published in the Journal Of The American Medical Association indicated can be just as effective at relieving pain without causing constipation. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
Please do not try any constipation remedies prior to your surgery without your surgeon's approval; he will expect your bowels to be in a particular condition when you arrive for surgery, and doing anything without his approval can lead to complications, so I recommend that you discuss your allergy and your concerns with him, so he can modify your prescription accordingly. If you do want to be proactive about preventing constipation, then I recommend seeing to it that you have the following items on hand, to be brought into use after your surgery: a good pair of walking shoes; an easy-open water bottle; fiber from frozen blueberries, whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, and maybe a supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; ground flaxseeds - I buy them whole and grind them in a coffee grinder; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; sugar alcohols from apple or pear juice, prunes, dried apricots, frozen cherries or sugarless gum; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Also keep in mind that narcotic painkillers that are commonly prescribed after surgery can cause constipation; as an alternative, I suggest asking your surgeon about taking naproxen (Aleve), an NSAID like ibuprofen (Advil), which worked well for me after I had to stop taking the narcotics because of an adverse GI reaction, and which a study recently published in the Journal Of The American Medical Association indicated can be just as effective at relieving pain without causing constipation. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Thanks! I don't have another surgery date (last year it got canceled the day before) but I need to try out medicines beforehand to know if I have an allergy. I mainly like to try a child's dose because that's safest. I don't want to wait until after surgery to find out the hard way and be even more miserable.

Some of the things on your list I can't have because of other allergies or intolerances so I'm trying to build my own custom list.
Unread Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Hi Starlight2020 -

Make sure you inform your doctor and your entire medical team about your allergy. It is important that they know. ((Tiger_Eye)) provided good advice to not take any stool softener or any other medication without approval from your doctor. This goes both before and after surgery. Make sure you tell your doctor everything you are taking: both OTC, herbal meds and prescription. Some can cause blood thinning or can have unwanted interactions with other drugs. Your life can really depends on this. Here are articles that may provide information.

Medications, Vitamins, and Supplements before Hysterectomy
Should I Do a Bowel Prep before Hysterectomy?

Unread Today, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marestail View Post
Hi Starlight2020 -

Make sure you inform your doctor and your entire medical team about your allergy. It is important that they know. ((Tiger_Eye)) provided good advice to not take any stool softener or any other medication without approval from your doctor. This goes both before and after surgery. Make sure you tell your doctor everything you are taking: both OTC, herbal meds and prescription. Some can cause blood thinning or can have unwanted interactions with other drugs. Your life can really depends on this. Here are articles that may provide information.
My entire allergy list is already in the hospital system and my doctor's office is connected to that system. It's awesome when I choose a doctor that is connected so my health information plus past surgeries, test results, etc are all posted for the team to see.

Like I said, I don't have a new surgery date scheduled yet. I'm still waiting for it to be rescheduled.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register