Keep second guessing all of this - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep second guessing all of this Keep second guessing all of this

Unread 10-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Re: Keep second guessing all of this

Queenie - just what I needed to hear! Did you lose your ovaries, or are hormones freaking out over the surgery in general? I'm counting down - one more cycle EVER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2011, 01:03 PM

I agree with Queenie!!!

Best decision I ever made, and my periods weren't even as bad a what you ladies are talking about.

I have more energy, no lower back pain, SEX IS FANTASTIC and NO MORE PERIODS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you are all on the other side, you will know you did the right thing.

I wish you all an uneventful surgery and quick recovery.
Unread 10-13-2011, 11:34 PM

Hi kbid,

I dreaded making the call. I had been in serious discussions about this with my doctor for nearly 2 years. Being self employed, I worried that I might schedule for a bad time and miss a potentially great client, or that the finances weren't there.

But I also worried constantly: I can't do this or that because I'm going to be having my period, How many times during a heavy flow day will I need to change clothes?, Am I bleeding into my client's upholstery? (never happened, but the fear was always there) How long is this one going to last?, How bad will my migraine be this month? .....

My cycles are irregular and there are days I can flood a pad in no time, but you know - the minute I called to make the appointment, I was relieved.

I realized that the improvement in my quality of life is going to make the rest of my life that much better. I'm saying good-bye to back and joint pain, stress, missing out on fun stuff, down time and hopefully migraines and I'm saying hello to more energy, more fun and more life.

I expect to feel like Queenie and PoliceBound and that I'll kick myself for waiting so long.

Best of luck on the 23rd!
Unread 10-14-2011, 02:38 AM

I am 2 weeks post op so I can't say everything will be roses and lollipops, I can tell you this:

I don't regret it for a second. I have less pain post op than I did pre op. No more periods. And best of all: answers! I had years of unexplained pain and long heavy periods. The hysterectomy gave me what I really needed after all this time...a diagnosis (endometriosis).

I think we doubt our decisions out of fear. Am I doing the right thing? Will it change my life for the better? What if something goes wrong? On my surgery day, as I was being wheeled into the OR, I jokingly said "is it too late to change my mind?" I still doubted my decision!

Now I agree with others: Best Decision Ever

Good luck and be strong!
Unread 10-14-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLila View Post
Hi kbid,

I dreaded making the call. I had been in serious discussions about this with my doctor for nearly 2 years. Being self employed, I worried that I might schedule for a bad time and miss a potentially great client, or that the finances weren't there.

But I also worried constantly: I can't do this or that because I'm going to be having my period, How many times during a heavy flow day will I need to change clothes?, Am I bleeding into my client's upholstery? (never happened, but the fear was always there) How long is this one going to last?, How bad will my migraine be this month? .....

My cycles are irregular and there are days I can flood a pad in no time, but you know - the minute I called to make the appointment, I was relieved.

I realized that the improvement in my quality of life is going to make the rest of my life that much better. I'm saying good-bye to back and joint pain, stress, missing out on fun stuff, down time and hopefully migraines and I'm saying hello to more energy, more fun and more life.

I expect to feel like Queenie and PoliceBound and that I'll kick myself for waiting so long.

Best of luck on the 23rd!
Like you this is what I want also, to have my life back. My back pain is so bad I can hardly stand or walk along with all my other symptons. Since my appointment with my GYN/ONC things have went down hill. Sometimes I wake at night being sick to my stomach. Had problems in the past but last September things took and all new turn. Like you I have experineced the same symptons but not the migraines. Life will be good.
Unread 10-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Get the surgery done now, rather than later. The more damage that is done to your uterus, the bigger fibroids get, the more enlarged the uterus gets, the more difficult and longer the surgery will have to be, and the longer and more difficult your recovery will be.

It seems like for a long time hysterectomies were getting a bad rap and you always heard some people saying that they should be avoided at all costs, that they were unnecessary, etc. Well, obviously you shouldn't just go out and get a hysterectomy unless you have issues...BUT...if you do have problems, a hysterectomy is a good thing! I am so glad I had it done ASAP when my dr. said I needed one.
Unread 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM

I put off going to the dr for 2 yrs. Once I saw a gyn didn't bother trying any other treatments, went straight to surgery. So glad I had it done. My periods were 10x worse that the surgery. Almost 3 months now and I feel great. Best wishes.
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Keep second guessing all of this

I am second guessing too but I'm in pain all the time. Consent cramping for the past 4 months with little reprieve. I doubt because my doc isn't sure that it's my endo that is back since I've been on meds to kill it for ) of the past 7 months. But doc says we've tried everything else reasonable and nothing else is showing on any other test. It would be a shame to go through all this and the pain not to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbid View Post
Anyone else in the same boat? I've had four doctors say that this really is the best option. I've had ultrasounds, CT scans, an MRI. Two trips to the ER. I know logically what all is wrong. I know how much the cycle interferes with my life and energy. Most of the time I feel at ease with this; no anxiety scheduling the surgery, and hubby is 100% on board. But then I'll start worrying and wondering. My period should start later this week, so I imagine THEN I'll remember why I'm going through all of this, but at this exact moment, I'm not in an unbearable amount of physical pain. Any other second-guessers out there?
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:43 PM

I have not been second guessing myself because of the pain I have been in last month. well maybe once.when I had a really good day.then that night the worse pain ever. not going to do that again. I figure when you spend more hours in a day in pain than not... it is just time..
I am thinking of you....
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:15 PM

I'm having some of that. It'll probably get worse before... I'm just trying to focus on how much better I will feel when it's all over.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register