Cervical Cancer Questions - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervical Cancer Questions Cervical Cancer Questions

Unread 07-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Definitely don't panic

Hi Soon2Be,

Jeanine has given you an excellent overview, and great advice not to panic. A lot of women will clear CIN I and CIN II with no treatment at all.

This is not to say that careful monitoring of your health is not necessary-there is a reason that occurrences of CIN are relatively high in the U.S. while occurrences of cervical cancer are so low-and that reason is the Pap smear. Regular follow-up and monitoring after a diagnosis of CIN is often all that is needed.

To answer your original question, I had more of the "classic" progression, with my first abnormal Pap (CIN I) about 10 years before my diagnosis. In between, I had several abnormal Paps.

Bear in mind that this is a hysterectomy support site, so you are seeing a skewed sample of women who DID have those rare cases of cervical cancers. There are loads of women who have had CIN but never needed any further treatment, but you won't find many of them here .

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Cervical Cancer Questions

Hello,
I guess I fall into this catagory.I got results back from a cone biopsy.There was invasive cancer,they got that with the biopsy.What they saw at the margins is CIN III.The way he put it was,why should we wait and see if this turns to cancer as well.Let's get it before it does.So I said okay,sounds good.He actually said it was dysplasia.So does that mean CIN III is the same as dysplasia? I get so confused with all these terms.So I am having my hysterectomy on the 19th of August.I too hope this is the right move.Good Luck to you....Melissa
Unread 07-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Thank you all for your replies. After reading all of them i felt kind of foolish for being so worried, but i still have fear of the unknown. I guess i just need to trust in my doctor, who is very good about listening to my concerns. My next appointment is Sept. and i'll let y'all know how it went. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2004, 12:13 PM

's

You should never feel foolish about being concerned about your health. This is your life, your health, your future. It's difficult to be faced with the unknown. But it's also important not to panic when faced with the unknown. You need a clear head on your shoulders so that you can ask appropriate questions, do the right research, and then make the choices that are best for you. We're just trying to help you with the clear head part. All of us are prone to panic. We go through periods of time that even an ingrown toenail can become a sure symptom of cancer in our over-active imaginations. Fortunately, we all have each other here to help us out.

Good luck! I hope you have a future filled with health and happiness!

Unread 07-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Referring to Spankee etc.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their input and compassion! I would also like to know if CINlll and Dysplasia falls into the same category?

It is certainly an eye opener to read about all of your experiences and at the same time very scary!I realise that most of you have had bigger problems than me, but I can relate with being scared!

It just shows that it is difficult to find the balance between worrying and being possitive, I am going for a LLETZ next week and hope with all my heart that it will clear up and not become a long term process, but at the same time I feel like I should try to prepare myself that things can get worse! Reading about everyone's experiences is scary, but I guess the best to do is stay positive and pray for things to work out well!It can be a good thing to stay on your toes?

I will think of all of you and always be thankful that atleast this website helps with the lonely feeling of these diseases!

My friend has never been to see a gynaecologist and prefer not to know about whatever can/go wrong. I hope that what I am about to go through will open her eyes and show that ignorance is not always bliss!!I just think what could've happened had I never gone for my PAP!!!

Thanks to all of you for these letters, hopefully you will all realise how much you are helping!!!

P.S Does anyone have msn messenger and would like to chat? Is it appropriate?
Unread 07-06-2004, 08:37 AM

's Begaltiger! Welcome to Cancer Concerns!

I'm so happy that you decided to go get that PAP! Since things have been caught early, you have a great chance of being cured by this next procedure. I know that a LLETZ and LEEP are similar, and the statistics show that 80-90% of women who have a LEEP for cervical dysplasia are considered cured. That's pretty good odds.

Cervical dysplasia and cervical interepithelial neoplasia (CIN) are the same thing. Over the years, the terminology changes to try to make things more consistent and more concise. Mild dysplasia=CIN I, moderate dysplasia = CIN II, severe dysplasia = CIN III. The even newer terminology is LGSIL and HGSIL which are low-grade and high-grade squamous interepithelial lesions. But they all refer to the same stuff.

Good luck with your surgery! I hope it puts you on the road to a happy, healthy future. And tell your friend to go get a PAP--early detection is the key!!!!

Unread 07-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Jeanine

Thank you so much for your reply and answering some questions for me. It makes more sense now!!

Thank you for the good luck with my surgery next week, I will let you all know how it went.

Thanking all of you once again for all your efforts, its always nice to know that youre not alone and to be able to speak to people who understand!!!It makes a huge difference!!!

Greetings from Bengaltiger!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register