One Week Post-Op and Not Feeling As Well as I Think I Should | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Week Post-Op and Not Feeling As Well as I Think I Should One Week Post-Op and Not Feeling As Well as I Think I Should

Unread 02-11-2008, 11:42 AM
One Week Post-Op and Not Feeling As Well as I Think I Should

Had my surgery last Monday, 2/4, and all went well with the surgery. Doctor said it was "texbook." He took the uterus and the cervix -- said the ovaries were healthy so left them in. Got through the first two days in the hospital fine -- uncomfortable of course, but not complications.

I was sent home on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. and was enjoying being in familiar surroundings. Then around 5:00 pm Wednesday evening, I was feeling very nauseated but not nauseated from pain meds. It turns out I came home with a ravaging case of the stomach flu!!! I threw up from 7:00 pm Wednesday evening to about 3:30 am Thursday morning, then had diarrhea for the next two days solid. All and all, even with the stomach flu, everything relating to the surgery felt fine.

Then yesterday I started having some pretty bad pain down in what feels like the vaginal area -- it's more of a constant pressure but it's painful to sit too long and I can lay in bed for about four hours before I have get up and move to a new location.

I had no trouble urinating when I came home from the hospital but then when the pain and pressure started yesterday, so did the pain when urinating. I also feel like I might have some gas that needs to come out, but passing gas is horribly painful.

I'm just concerned because I feel like I'm going backward in my progress. I was feeling pretty good over the weekend and then by last night, not so good at all. I realize that getting hit with the stomach flu two days after having surgery and then not being able to eat solids for four days probably didn't help (I also couldn't take any pain killers until I could keep solids down, so pain killers have been extinct ... I took my first one on Saturday afternoon).

I have no bleeding, so that's not a concern for me. Haven't had to wear a pad since Friday. I'm hoping this may be just a delayed reaction from the catheter and gas build-up after the flu and diarrhea, but not sure.

If anyone has any feedback, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Hello Brier44,
It sounds like you may have some gas. The gas x strips are wonderful. It could also be a uti from the cath. It wouldn't hurt to place a call to your doc just to be on the safe side. If you do have an infection(bladder) it would be wise to get started on something soon. I wish you the best of recovery. Sorry you have had such a rough beginning. Sending lots of & Just remember that it takes time to heal properly. Just sit back & pamper the
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brier44
Had my surgery last Monday, 2/4, and all went well with the surgery. Doctor said it was "texbook." He took the uterus and the cervix -- said the ovaries were healthy so left them in. Got through the first two days in the hospital fine -- uncomfortable of course, but not complications.

I was sent home on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. and was enjoying being in familiar surroundings. Then around 5:00 pm Wednesday evening, I was feeling very nauseated but not nauseated from pain meds. It turns out I came home with a ravaging case of the stomach flu!!! I threw up from 7:00 pm Wednesday evening to about 3:30 am Thursday morning, then had diarrhea for the next two days solid. All and all, even with the stomach flu, everything relating to the surgery felt fine.

Then yesterday I started having some pretty bad pain down in what feels like the vaginal area -- it's more of a constant pressure but it's painful to sit too long and I can lay in bed for about four hours before I have get up and move to a new location.

I had no trouble urinating when I came home from the hospital but then when the pain and pressure started yesterday, so did the pain when urinating. I also feel like I might have some gas that needs to come out, but passing gas is horribly painful.

I'm just concerned because I feel like I'm going backward in my progress. I was feeling pretty good over the weekend and then by last night, not so good at all. I realize that getting hit with the stomach flu two days after having surgery and then not being able to eat solids for four days probably didn't help (I also couldn't take any pain killers until I could keep solids down, so pain killers have been extinct ... I took my first one on Saturday afternoon).

I have no bleeding, so that's not a concern for me. Haven't had to wear a pad since Friday. I'm hoping this may be just a delayed reaction from the catheter and gas build-up after the flu and diarrhea, but not sure.

If anyone has any feedback, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Hi
wow to have the stomach flu right after surgery, horrible.
I had a LAVTHBSO on 1/23/08, had minor bleeding in hospital, then none for first 4-5 days home, then it came back, not unusual per MD, also had bladder spasms/pain, on starting and finishing to pee, that also subsided in 10-12 days, the gas pain/GI symptoms and poor appetite are also related to the body's response to surgery, it is a shock to the system and it takes a few weeks to wake it up, you will feel better gradually. Eating light the first few weeks is best.
Try to go to urinate every two hours while awake, need it or not, it trains the bladder to "wake up", an overly full bladder will be painful at this point.
get plenty of rest and alternate it with time upright because that will also help get things going.
In my own recovery, it is a balance of some good and bad days, take all the help you can get. you will be okay.
Do pass things by your MD if you feel you are getting sick, no one knows your body like you do.
best of luck in your recover
L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM

youre very early in your recovery and pain is normal..but you might want to call your dr to see if you can bring in a urine speciman. you could have a uti and you'd need a prescription for that. hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Geez Brier!

What a way to start your recovery. I'm sure you're a little achy boned after that nasty virus. It does a number on your stomach muscles - especially since they're freshly wounded. It's also normal to feel those aches and pains just from being inactive. The hard time with urinating is a little more of a concern though. I would call the doctor and let him know what's going on. I think a urine culture might be in order to rule out a uti or bladder infection. It's not uncommon after being catheterized. If there is an infection the sooner you get on antibiotics the better. I hope you're back to your old self soon. Please let us know how you make out.

Unread 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM

Bless your heart! To be recovering and then have stomach flu on top of it. Your recovery sounds similiar to mine. I was recovering and then started having the uncomfortable feelings like you describe. When I went back for my 1 week Post Op I had a bladder infection and the new pains I was feeling was bladder spasms which is pretty common following a catheter. I would do as other sisters have suggested and call and get a urine speciman. It took me two different antibiotics and finally a shot to get my infection under control but I am feeling a lot better now.
Good luck and I'll be praying that you get to feeling better soon!
Katrina
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM

You can definitely have a UTI from the catheter. I did on a previous surgery.
I don't think you are really going downhill though. for some reason the second week was harder for me than the first week. I think you're just more worn out, even though all you are doing (or should be doing!!!) is resting and sleeping. Plus the pain pills made me feel not so great, but I couldn't seem to get through the day without them.
Drink lots and lots of water, no caffeine and pamper yourself!! Call your doctor to have them check for the uti!
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM

If you had the stomach flu, it is understandable that you are having discomfort. Think about when we are well-bodied with the stomach flu and multiply that by 100 because are insides are healing. I cannot imagine vomiting post-op. I was scared of sneezing, coughing and lived on crackers much of my post-op to combat nausea...haha

Hope you feel better soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register