Pre-OP questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-OP questions Pre-OP questions

Unread 07-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Pre-OP questions

Hi from sunny South Carolina:

I am a 46 year old woman who was diagnosed in 1998 as having a fibroid on top of my uterus. After years of little or no period, I began having swelling of my right foot, ankle and calf. I also began having pain at the inside top of my right leg.

I went to my doctor who ordered ultrasound test of my right leg and my abdomen leg. The tests came back as negative tests for my leg (no clots). But he determined that my uterus was the size seen in 4 to 6 month pregnant woman. He referred me to a gynocologist I had seen in the past, who confirmed his findings and recommended that I have an abdominal hysterectomy.

I made an appointment with my doctor. He was very honest and helpful, and answered all questions.

Now my dilemma. I have suspected since I was first diagnosed with a fibroid that I would adventually have to have a hysterectomy. My maternal grandmother had one at age 29, and my mother had an ovary removed at age 45...both for fibroids. I have mourned this and have accepted having to have one. Both my doctor and gynocologist have given me their opinion that I should have a complete hysterectomy (including the removal of my ovaries). They can not guarantee that this will solve the problem with my leg (even though I do feel it contributes). Because I have no history in my mother, either grandmothers, or great grandmothers of having breast cancer and the fact that I was on birth control pills from age 18 to 30 with no problems, my doctor feels this is a good indication that I could handle HRT. As I had to have my cervix frozen in my 30's due to pre-cancerous cells found in my uterus, I am concerned about leaving my ovaries. My doctor tested my hormone count on a related consultation for my irregular periods (some months I went 4-6 months without), and my counts came back as good so I know my ovaries are working correctly.

So now I have gone around the world with my story to get to this point. I am interested in hearing the experiences of my new "sisters" who kept their ovaries and those who began HRT. I know that this decision is one I have to make on my own, and I would like to here how your decision affected you, and if you feel you may a wise choice. This is the sticking point with me that I can not decide on. I have an appointment with my gynocologist on 7/16 to tell him what I have decided about the hysterectomy.

I would appreciate any comments anyone can give me. My prayers and a go out to all of you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Pre-OP questions

Hi,

I had my ovaries out due to my Mom having ovarian cancer, but she had a complete hysterectomy when she was 27. You can still get cancer in the lining where the ovaries were because all the cells cannot be removed. It is a rare chance of getting cancer from this. I decided this because of my age (54) and Mom and cancer. The dr left it up to me. He said it would be rare if I would get cancer and could keep them if I wished. I decided to take them out for the cancer in family, my age, ovarian pains and irregular hormonal fluctuations as well.

I did just fine on hrt and now have been off of it for 5 months with very slight hot flashes that are no problem enough to take hrt again.

It is a personal decision. I would have kept my ovaries if I had been younger and no cancer history. It is recommended to keep them if they are healthy and aren't causing you any problems.

Please check out the Hormone forums and see how ladies do after this surgery with no ovaries.

Good luck

s
Unread 07-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Pre-OP questions

Hi Theresa:
I also have the option of keeping my ovaries, but my DH and I decided that we want them taken out. Here's my rationale: 1. Ovarian cancer is very difficult to detect. 2. My mom died from breast cancer at age 42. (I'm 41) 3. Breast cancer and ovarian cancer are very closely related. 4. We know someone who had a hyst years ago, left her ovaries, and is now on hospice care because of ovarian cancer. 5. For every woman who has problems with HRT, there are 200 who have no problems at all.

I read the hormone jungle page a lot and all the problems they talked about really scared me. Then I talked to everyone I know who's had a hysterectomy and none of them are having any problems at all with HRT. I found people that I didn't even know that had hysterectomies and all of them told me that it was the best thing they ever did and they wished they had done it sooner!

This is big decision and a very personal one. I just want to get it overwith and have everything out at once. I'm really looking forward to it!! Get a lot of information and make an educated decision, but I do recommend talking to people as well as looking at the message boards.

Good Luck!
Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register