Another cervix question!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another cervix question!! Another cervix question!!

Unread 02-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Another cervix question!!

The plan was to remove my cervix because in the past I have had abnormal paps, one about 7 years ago, they did cryo surgery on it and removed them, then the last one I had was 1 1/2 years ago, and it was pre-cancerous - or whatever they call it, but nothing to worry about at the time!!

Stupid me didn't get one the next year like I was supposed to - so when I went to the obgyn, he insisted on doing one because he wanted to know what he would be dealing with- but told me that the cervix would come out because of the abnormalities in the past -

so today (4 weeks and 1 day after the test is done) I finally get my results - FINE - EVERYTHING IS FINE -

Sooooooo.....do I really need to get my cervix taken out, maybe the bad paps were flukes, or whatever it was has since been taken care of -

does anyone know???

I am going to ask my Dr. at my pre-op, but that is the day before surgery, so I wanted to get a grasp of the issue before hand, so If I needed to argue my point w/ him, I would have some ammo!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2005, 08:29 PM

Rochelle,

When I first met with my surgeon he said that he would do a TVH, which is what my regular gyn had recommended. I have never had a bad pap, the reason that they both gave was that I would never have to worry about cervical cancer or mini periods. The more I thought about it and research that I did--much of it thru links I found in the resource sections on this site----I decided that since there was nothing wrong why not keep it. When I went for my preop with the surgeon I told him my decision and he was fine with it---he actually said that he is seeing more and more patients requesting keeping the cervix. We discussed that as many medical articles that you can find that say to remove the cervix you can find just as many that say to keep it. And that it you see 10 doctors you will probably have 5 say keep it and 5 say remove, that there is really no concrete evidence either way. If there is no danger in leaving the cervix he will go with whatever the patient wants. He made sure that I understood that I would have to have a SAH and the recovery time etc would be longer.

I was like you had all my articles printed and in my bag just in case I needed to plead my case, but I never had to, he was fine with my decision.

I am 7 weeks post op now and feel great. I don't even feel like I had major surgery.

It all worked out very well for me----I hope the same for you.
Unread 02-25-2005, 08:29 PM

If you haven't already, please click on checkpoints which is located in the lavendar stripe near the top of the page. Then go to the PreOp checkpoints. You will find hints and articles there, and there is a discussion of keeping vs removal of the cervix.

Everyone has their own opinion about the cervix. My DR told me the cervix is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

My experience with sex is it is the same without the cervix as it was with it. I am three years post op and so far have no problems with bladder control or any type of prolapse, etc.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2005, 05:51 AM

Hi, Rochelle!

If you have a history of abnormal PAP's, then you really are not a good candidate for keeping your cervix. Because of the mechanism of cervical dysplasia, it can recur at any point in your future, and since it has already recurred for you once, well, you are probably more likely to have a recurrence than someone who had an abnormal PAP 20 years ago and has not had one since. And (not to frighten you), but PAP's will not always pick up these cells immediately, so you could have a few abnormal cells in there right now (remember that there are thousands and thousands of cells on your cervix) that cannot be detected yet--you are only
1-1/2 years from your last abnormal PAP.

My own history of this was a long one. I had my first abnormal PAP at age 23. Then not again for 10 years. Then they came about every 2 years after that until I finally had my hysterectomy. If your doctor provides you with the option of keeping your cervix, you need to remember to keep those follow-up appointments religiously.

If you need to have your cervix removed after a hysterectomy because of continuing abnormal PAP's, well, that procedure is called a trachelectomy. It is another big surgery with an approximate 4 week recovery time. So consider everything before you make this choice.

I feel no different without my cervix. Four years later sex is still the same, and my internal organs all appear to be staying where they should.

Good luck! I hope you have a successful surgery!

Unread 02-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks ladies,

I will visit w/ my Dr. about my concerns and go from there - I trust him to make the best decision for my situation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register