Should I wait to see if I'm a candidate for LAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I wait to see if I'm a candidate for LAH? Should I wait to see if I'm a candidate for LAH?

Unread 02-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Should I wait to see if I'm a candidate for LAH?

I can get a TAH with my gynecologist, whom I like and trust, in a few weeks. Or I can keep an appointment I made for a month from now to see a laparascopic expert. I have 4 fibroids, 2 are at least grapefruit size. If he says he won't do it without using Lupron to shrink them, I would just go with the regular TAH, because I'm afraid of unnecessary, unnatural hormones. If he does say he'll do it, I don't know how long the wait will be between finally seeing him and getting the surgery, but if he's in demand and it's a longer surgery, I guess the wait could be a while. My symptoms are stable right now.

Did anyone here have to wait a while to get surgery from an expert? How long was your wait?

Also, is it true that you get more gas with laparascopic surgery? I heard they pump you up with it so they can see, or to move organs around. Do they NOT do this in open abdominal surgery?

Is there anything I can read about the risks of LAH for large fibroids? or that compares the risks & benefits of lap vs. abdominal hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 01:59 PM

Hi Purplesea,

My 1st Dr. wanted to do a TAH due to the size of my fiborids. I did get a 2nd opinion with a laparsocopic surgeon and he suggested a LSH, after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for surgery.

As you mentioned, you do not want to do lupron. It is not for everyone since it causes temporary chemcial menopause. I kept my ovaries and I have not had any hot flashes or night sweats since before my hyst last April. In my case, I am glad I did the lupron since it got me to my less invasive hyst and I feel great 9 1/2 months post-op. A plus for me with a LSH was also being able to keep my cervix.

Do you know what lap surgery your Dr does?? LAVH?? LSH?? TLH ?? Here is a H.S. link that goes over laparoscopic hysts. Just scroll down:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/vie..._articles_list

I had two small hip incisions and a belly button incision. No vaginal work. From what I understand, my Dr. used a machine called a morcellator that basically...sorry for the graphics... pureeed my fibroids and they were brought out through a tube in one of my hip incisions. The belly button incision was used for the laparoscope camera. It projects photos of the surgery in the abdominal cavity onto a T.V. in the surgery room for the surgeon to look at.

Gas?? I had about 3 days of gas pain in my shoulder area post-op. My Dr. said that was due to the gas you mentioned travelling. The shoulder pain was mild.

Best wishes. You will make the best choice for yourself.

Mary
Unread 02-06-2005, 04:22 PM
lsh

Hi-

I did much reading after being diagnosed with fibroids and decided I really wanted the lsh! The dr. willing to do the surgery would only do it if I agreed to a 3 mo. time release lupron shot first (the lupron also decreases blood loss during surgery.) I too, was afraid of messing with my hormones and I didn't really want to wait the 3 months.....but I really wanted the lsh!

So the end of Oct., I had my shot-it did induce the chemical menopause which has been annoying-nothing more. My dr. did give me a daily 5 mg. tablet of norethindrone, 'add back' hormones to lessen the lupron effects.

My surgery was 1/28 at 7:45 am. The dr. said my uterus filled my entire abdominal cavity-that it was melon sized and filled with fibroids. I was ready to go home by early afternoon but then my bp crashed so I ended up staying overnight for observation. I ate a regular meal for dinner at the hospital with no ill effects. I did have some of the gas pain in my shoulder during the night at the hospital.

By the time I left the hospital at 10:00 1/29 I was just sore-experienced no real pain....I took an ant-imflammatory drug and darvocet for the first week as instructed-not due to any pain. I have never had to use any of the anti gas meds or stool softeners the dr.'s office recommended.

I slept a lot the first week-I think because of the meds. Yesterday I walked on a local bike trail for about a half hour, today for about 45 minutes. No speed records were set but I feel really good.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd do it the same way-lsh is the way to go.

Good luck with your decision making.
Edwina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2005, 07:29 PM

While I would never advocate for one type of surgery over another, (because I believe that what's important is not the type of surgery, but the ultimate result of the surgery and its impact on your health), since you say that your "symptoms are stable," my feeling is...why not investigate all of your options? If you are not suffering in excrutiating pain and desperate, I think it would be wise to check out all surgery options. Even if you decide not to go with the "laparoscopic expert," you will at least feel at peace that you explored all possible avenues in your journey to good health.

Many s and Best Wishes to You!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register