Need some input..... ablation or hyst or ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need some input..... ablation or hyst or ? Need some input..... ablation or hyst or ?

Unread 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Need some input..... ablation or hyst or ?

I have always had rough periods, used to be very light but have always had an extreme amount of pain, and have gotten much heavier as time goes on. I had my son just about 4 years ago, and started having abnormal paps just after that. I have had 3 cervical biopsies (sp) and always just end up back in 6 months to do it all again. Last July I was passing very large (even for me) blood clots during my period and ended up back in the Dr. office. They put me on Yaz, which is my 5th or 6th different BC over the years. Yaz turned me into the most irrational person ever. Decided to go off the Yaz and give up on pills all together because every one I have tried gives me extreme mood swings...either very angry or depressed. Flash forward to September....I woke up having HORRIBLE pain in my right side and went to my family Dr., who thought my appendix was the problem and got me to the ER. Turned out to be a ruptured ovarian cyst on my right side, with two more cysts on the right that had not yet ruptured, and two more cysts on the left that had not yet ruptured. Gave me pain pills and sent me home, told me to see my OBGYN Monday. I was still in pain and not doing very well. Went to the OBGYN on Monday to find out that the other four had ruptured and was told to let everything be and we would monitor my body. Since then, I have had the same problems each month, but have not gone into the Dr. for an ultrasound each month b/c I have been able to manage my pain with vicodin, perciset and heating pads. Well, pain meds are gone and I ended up back at the Dr yesterday. Uterus looks good, a little heavy lining, but there are cysts again on my right ovary and my left looks inflamed, but do not see cysts. Dr. does not want to keep trying me on different BC pill (Thank goodness!!!) and mentioned both an ablation and a hysterectomy and sent me home with a bunch of information to think about. My question is this….if my hormones are all messed up (which I am doing blood tests to see), which I really think they are because I can go from a raging witch to crying in a matter of hours, and my cysts are on my ovaries, then why is an ablation even an option since it will not help either of my main problems. Sure, a reduced period would be great, but I do not feel it’s my main problem. Also, why a hysterectomy if my uterus seems okay? Why can’t they just take my ovaries? I suppose just taking everything while they are in there is good, because then I get rid of every problem at the same time, but I just do not get it. I was very overwhelmed when I was in the Dr. yesterday (even thought I knew this was coming) and didn’t think to ask everything that I now have questions on. I have a call into the Dr. to see, but needed to get this “down on paper” and see if anyone has been through what I have. Sorry this is so long, but I feel a little better just getting it out there for opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Re: Need some input..... ablation or hyst or ?

It is easy to get overwhelmed at the doctor's office! I have arrived home on several occasions with a list of 101 questions I wished I had asked at the appointment!

I would suggest that you start making a list of all of your questions and concerns. Then plan to schedule a consultation type appointment where all you do is sit down and talk to your doctor. I have found these types of appointments invaluable on more than one occasion!

There are women who have issues with their ovaries and they have a bilateral oophorectomy and do not have a hysterectomy. Ask your doctor if this is an option for you and if not, why it isn't.

Also, ask how an ablation is suppose to help with your current symptoms.

I would also recommend seeking at least a second opinion before scheduling any surgery.

In the meantime, keep a symptom diary that will help you and your doctors see a picture of what you are going through so you can find the right solution for you!

s
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM

I agree-if cystic ovaries are your problem, there may be no point to an ablation which basically just burns off the lining of your uterus. A second opinion is a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 06:05 PM

I had an ablation about 5 years ago. It worked for the first 4 years, then blead non stop for 8 months untill I finally had a hyst. talk with your doc, but in most cases the ablation is successful. I happen to be one of the few that it fails..
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:17 PM

I had an ablation in September after 5 months of bleeding problems(never had any problems before this). After the ablation ,my MD told me it probably wouldn't be successful due to the size of my uterus.I had heavier periods after the procedure than before. My robotic hyst was just 2 days ago.I am an OB nurse and have worked with my OB/GYN for 19 years and trust him immensly.But it sounds like you need a second opinion.Even though you have cystic ovaries you also have heavy bleeding. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register