Doubts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-15-2003, 07:15 PM
Doubts

Okay...maybe I'm a gOOf...I don't know if I'm imagining my symptoms or, because I seem to have a high pain threshold and I've had them for so long they seem normal...? Can you ladies tell me if these are what you experienced? I have an appointment with an ob/gyn/surgeon on the 31st to beg her to take my ute out! I'm 49 and have never seen an ob/gyn before...always used my GP, but I'm just sick to death of the following:

A) I have super duper unbelievably heavy periods...like passing small babies.
B) I have a period every 16 days.
C) I had an ultrasound in early 2002 that revealed fibroids, but I don't know how large, and my doc said since they usually reabsorb after menopause I should live with them.
D) My abdomen seems more swollen than usual, is painful, and I feel like something is growing in there (started 3 weeks ago while were caring for my husband's mother while she was dying...stress?)
E) Horrible, no...excruciating, constant back pain.
F) My hips keep going out of joint.

Sound familiar? Am I wasting the gyn's time?

Simone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-15-2003, 08:54 PM
Doubts

Hi Simone

Ah, tell me Simone, do you really think you are imagining those heavy periods with the huge clots? Or frequent periods? No, I didn't think so. You wont be wasting anybody's time to go check this out. But it's possible there are other options than hysterectomy for you. Maybe not, but possibly. You are probably nearing menopause and some of these things will get better when you finish that process.

As for your hips going out of joint - did you tell your about that? Because it doesn't seem to me that would be connected to the other problems you list.

I hope you find a good GYN and find answers that satisfy you.

Joselle
Unread 03-16-2003, 05:29 AM
not a goof!

You are not a goof. You are having actual symptoms that are not "normal" everyday, "everybody has this" stuff.

I have all the same stuff! I know the pain is bad. I get it terrible in my back , even up to my ribcage. The frequent cycles also, the tender abdomen, and yes, when it's really rolling, the strange feeling that something in there is growing and making pressure.

You march right on in and ask for help, and let the dr run his tests. At least then you will know exactly what is going on, and that is the first step to getting BETTER!

The hip thing? I know that happened when I was pregnant. Other than that, I've never had that. Maybe with your sore back, your hip joints are having more stress from compensating? It's amazing how pain and weakness in one area of your body can make other parts react.

I am not a doctor, this all my humble opinion but You go right ahead with your instincts and get things checked out. It's YOUR body and you need answers to your questions.

Good luck to you, please post again and let me know what's up. This is a terrific website and I'm glad you found it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2003, 05:53 AM
Doubts

I'm with the other ladies - you can't imagine those heavy periods or their frequency! You said you had fibroids diagnosed, so I'm guessing that's the cause of those periods. You should make sure they check our iron levels - I know my heavy periods lead to my anemia. So it does definitely need to be checked!

My doctor put it all to me this way: when you bleed heavily every month, it reduces your quality of life. But when you bleed to the point of anemia - then your health is at risk, and something needs to be done. For me, I chose a hyst, but there are other treatments available too. It's ultimately your decision.

Keep us posted!
Unread 03-16-2003, 07:12 AM
1-900-IMA-GOOF

Thank you ladies...you reassured me.

I honestly do think that my hips going out is a related symptom...my physical therapist said that my kidney keeps "dropping" 1-2 inches, pulling my hips out...isn't that odd? Why would a kidney drop? My theory is that my uterus is putting pressure on/pushing things around, causing the kidney to drop, causing my abdominal muscles to hold it up by compensating, and hence, pulling the hip out.

Nonetheless, I'll go on the 31st and see what's what. I'm really ready to get the gear out of there anyway...I'm sick of all this mess and pain...the heavy/clotty/frequent periods have been going on for 5 or 6 years!

Fondly,
Simone

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register