Did you get a second opinion? - Page 153 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,181 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,339 22.80%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,074 52.34%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 279 4.75%
Voters: 5873. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 09-07-2020, 04:33 PM
Did you get a second opinion?

My consultant said my options were uterine artery embolisation or hysterectomy. I had the former in June 2019 and it had no impact whatsoever; in fact everything got much much worse. Hysterectomy was the only option and although I felt unsure, the surgery proved how necessary it was as I was ‘packed full’ of fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2020, 04:27 PM
Re: Did you get a second opinion?

I was diagnosed with adenomyosis which means I passed so much blood that I could barely do anything. It's a progressive condition which means it has only gotten worse and worse over the past decade. I've been fighting anemia since forever but the bleeding was just terrible. Adenomyosis also causes excess pain. There's only one cure so I didn't have much choice.
Unread 10-03-2020, 06:35 AM

I was my second opinion. Over 2-3 years, I saw my stomach get larger because of the uterine fibroids; so I knew something had to be done.
Unread 10-03-2020, 12:12 PM

I was diagnosed with endometriosis and fibroids after having an ovarian cyst removed in 1998. I had already been dealing with heavy, painful, and irregular periods for years but after having the laparoscopic surgery for the cyst I started working with doctors to get it under control. At least 3 doctors suggested hysterectomy over the years but I was resistant and opted to continue to put up with my symptoms and pain, and controlled them as best I could with natural methods. Periodic ultrasounds showed my fibroids would expand and recede and I had the understanding that once my estrogen levels dropped off at menopause they would likely recede altogether.
Once I did reach menopause, I was so relieved to finally be rid of my horrible periods that I didn’t really pay attention to the continued abdominal sensitivity and occasional pains zi would have. I felt like I had won until 2&1/2 years in to menopause I had what I thought were UTI symptoms but turned out to be an adhesion mass crushing an ovary that also had a large blood filled cyst and was crimping the Fallopian tube. The MRI I had that identified that also showed my fibroids we’re still there and were worse, so also likely contributed to the UTI like symptoms so I decided to finally get the hysterectomy that had been recommended by multiple doctors over 20 years.
Attempting to wait out my problems meant I had additional years of pain, bad periods, and possibly put myself at additional risk for nothing. I also ended up having to have my surgery during a pandemic and in my mid 50’s instead of my more resilient 30’s, but I try to live without regrets. I’m glad to have it over with now.
Unread 10-13-2020, 08:43 PM

No I did not, I had endometrial cancer... I did not want to take any chances and wanted all of it out. Fine by me!
Unread 11-08-2020, 03:29 PM

No, I did not get a second opinion. My cousin had a fibroid the same size mine is and once she had her hysterectomy and told me how much better I'd feel afterward, that was all I needed to go for it. My original gyne did not do surgeries but she retired and I started seeing her associate who does robotic surgery so I'm excited to get this done and feel no other opinion is necessary from other doctors.
Unread 11-10-2020, 05:43 PM

I wish I had gotten a second opinion, or at least had more details on the procedure. I had been struggling with anemia from heavy periods for years and finally went to the doctor in Oct. She sent me to the hospital right away because I had a blood clot in my leg and a hemoglobin of 4.4. In the hospital they said I had autoimmune and iron deficiency anemia, plus needed blood thinners for the clot. They told me I wouldn't survive another period so scheduled a hysterectomy the next week. At the preop appt the surgeon just said matter-of-factly he was going to take out my uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes. I felt I didn't have a choice, despite my ovaries being normal. It would have been nice to have time to educate myself about it.
Unread 11-26-2020, 07:13 AM

I did not get a second opinion. I am 47 and had been on birth control since I was 16 due to heavy abnormal bleeding. I had my tubes removed and was supposed to have ablation but my unteral canal was too small. I bleed all but 5 days for 30 days after my 2 week post op. I had the option of going back on bc or hysterectomy. My OB/GYN is one of the best and I trusted her. I am 3 weeks post op and the only thing I regret is it was not done sooner.
Unread 12-07-2020, 11:29 AM

My hysterectomy WAS my second opinion. I have been suffering from heavy, constant bleeding and gut-wrenching pain for 3 weeks a month since I was 25. No one was willing to allow a hysterectomy 'as I might change my mind and want children.' Ultrasounds never showed much, so nobody believed me.

I found a new ob/gyn who came highly recommended a few weeks ago. We started with an ultrasound, which showed numerous fibroids. Ten minutes into my appointment, she suggested a hysterectomy and I jumped at the chance. I hope it is the right decision, but I couldn't continue with what I was doing-- my life revolved around bleeding, the BCP I was on were failing to control anything anymore and contributing to weight gain and high blood pressure, and I was just tired of not feeling good for weeks at a time. I'm 41. I actually want to be able to live my life without pads and tampons and pain as a constant companion. I didn't want to have my surgery during a pandemic, but I have been bleeding constantly since August and was becoming anemic, and was told I either had to do very heavy HRT to try to get things stopped, or do the surgery.

My husband has been so supportive. For the first time in a long time, I feel empowered about decisions regarding my body, after doctor after doctor disregarded my pain for years. The day after my surgery was the first day I wasn't bleeding or spotting in months.
Unread 12-09-2020, 12:01 AM

I am having mine Dec 11th 2020. I got second third forth opinions. I know I will never carry a child but can adopt if my health gets better. But I know this is the best desison and after seeing all the comments I feel better about my decision. I didn't want to do in this pandemic but there was no other option.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register