Do you ever have to stop estrogen patch if you have no ovaries or uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you ever have to stop estrogen patch if you have no ovaries or uterus? Do you ever have to stop estrogen patch if you have no ovaries or uterus?

Unread 10-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Do you ever have to stop estrogen patch if you have no ovaries or uterus?

This month was the 10 year anniversary of my hysterectomy. Had uterus and both ovaries removed. Went on estradiol patch soon after and I’m still on it. (.05 mg) I’m 60 years old now and I was wondering if anyone else has been on the patch for 10+ years. My gyne seems to think its ok if I feel better using it but my primary definitely thinks I should get off of it. Also, if I stop, do I do it cold turkey or is it better to wean off of it. And how do you do that anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Re: Do you ever have to stop estrogen patch if you have no ovaries or uterus?

I’m in a similar boat. My GYN says I can continue but my PCP says risks go up at a certain age. So for now I choose to stay on. I’m on the lowest dose so not sure what I would do so hope someone has experience on that front.
Unread 10-29-2020, 05:19 PM

I had my hysterectomy/oophorectomy when I was 46 years old. I'm almost 65 now and I am still using 0.1mg estradiol in a transdermal patch. My doctor is fine with me staying on it forever if that's what I want to do and that's my plan. If I ever did decide to stop using it, I would wean off slowing so as to more closely mimic natural menopause. With the patch, weaning could be done by gradually lowering the dose over a period of time.

If you're feeling well using it, I wouldn't change anything unless there is some compelling medical reason to do so. Just my opinion based on what I would do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2020, 06:08 PM

Thanks for your response! I was hoping someone would say that! I’m inclined to leave things as they are for now. What’s that saying? “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”
Unread 10-29-2020, 06:45 PM

My sentiments too. I prefer to continue if allowed. But I see it may depend on the Dr.
Unread 11-06-2020, 04:34 PM

Hello, complete hyst 2001, started with 1 mg estradoil, about 8 years ago went to .50. I am 62, GYN advised due to increased risk of heart disease and other health risks for women in my age group, I am attempting to wean off. I went from .50 a day to .50 every other day for 45 days now. It is tough, I have had hot flashes. I dont have night sweats but I do get hot and it wakes me up. I just stepped down again to .50 every third day. I guess it takes time, if I have really bad flashes, I will go back to every other day and wean off slower. My gyn said women my age stop producing estrogen with or without ovaries...I am giving it an earnest attempt!
Unread 11-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Buddhadoll, I am on .25, I wonder why they don’t step down to that as part of the plan? Just wondering, I’m surely not a GYN. I wonder if your weaning plan is what I have to look forward to. Let us know it goes, because I’m sure my PCP will bring up weaning off again.
Unread 11-07-2020, 12:57 AM
Do you ever have to stop estrogen patch if you have no ovaries or uterus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clt421 View Post
This month was the 10 year anniversary of my hysterectomy. Had uterus and both ovaries removed. Went on estradiol patch soon after and I’m still on it. (.05 mg) I’m 60 years old now and I was wondering if anyone else has been on the patch for 10+ years. My gyne seems to think its ok if I feel better using it but my primary definitely thinks I should get off of it. Also, if I stop, do I do it cold turkey or is it better to wean off of it. And how do you do that anyway?
My doctor said that I can take it the rest of my life and that women that he sees are healthier and have less aging problems being on Esteogen . My density is as if a 30 yr old , he said its because I'm on Estrogen. Also, protects your heart and many others benefits of estrogen. I had a few friends that stopped it and said their arthritis started acting up and just didn't feel good.. I know ladies in their 80s still in Estrogen to this day . My doctor explained that when the ovaries are gone , you can treat it like natural menopause where women can stop HRT and still manage but with no ovaries is a different ballgame, your body is not longer producing small amounts of Eateogen as if you were in natural menopause. This is what was explain to me . I will never stop taking it . I've been on it for 30 years.
Unread 11-08-2020, 02:02 PM

Thank you all for the info, I had a total hysterectomy on September 10th of this year. Even though I’m 58 I was still having periods. After the surgery I started having intense hot flashes and joint pains. At my two week follow up I begged the doctor for Estradiol. I’ve been taking it 1 mg since and no joint pains or hot flashes!
Unread 11-22-2020, 04:31 PM

I'm planning on keeping on Estrogen but probably at a reduced dose from 60, when in natural menopause your ovaries do keep producing hormones, but at a much lower amount. When you're in surgical menopause you don't get anything at all and that means you're at a much higher risk for bone density issues. I'm currently on Estradot 75 and I'll trim that patch a wee bit to reduce dose until I get down to 50; but not for a while yet!
I'm currently 49 so don't have to make that decision yet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register