Crying Spells almost 7 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Crying Spells almost 7 weeks post hysterectomy Crying Spells almost 7 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 11-23-2020, 04:03 AM
Crying Spells almost 7 weeks post hysterectomy

Hello my sisters!

I've did my research before my surgery and after my surgery. What i wasn't expecting was the emotional toll after I've officially healed. If that makes sense. Now i feel like I'm in the recovery phase which could take a while. After being released from restrictions and back to work. I feel okay! Just okay! I'm in such a gray area now. I'm always gonna say this was the best and only decision I made. Now what. My emotions aren't matching up to the way i thought i should be feeling. I'm free from the pain, the bleeding, the swelling. Why do i feel just okay? I'm currently up at 4am for no reason crying my eyes out!!!!! I have work in 4 hours yikes!!!! I know i know it takes time. I just wish i would have read up on it more to be better prepared. That's all. I just don't want this to be my new normal....:bigcry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2020, 05:01 AM
Crying Spells almost 7 weeks post hysterectomy

and
If you check in with the ladies on your recovery thread, you may find that many of them are dealing with similar emotional issues. The 3 most likely culprits would be hormonal imbalances from your ovaries temporarily shutting down because of reduced blood flow; antibiotics used in the surgery indiscriminately killing off the good bacteria inside your intestinal tract, which account for 90% of serotonin production; and Seasonal Affective Disorder, in which reduced levels of sunlight at this time of year can cause a further reduction in serotonin levels. If you're okay with eating soy, 2-3 daily servings of plant estrogens from organic tofu or soy milk can help with hormonal balance until your ovaries resume normal functioning. A broad spectrum probiotic supplement can help to boost serotonin production by restoring your intestinal bacteria; other helpful supplements include 2,000 IU of Vitamin D per day, a B complex supplement, and omega 3 fats from fatty fish, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, or a fish oil supplement with your doctor's approval. Taking a daily outdoor walk, as local pandemic restrictions permit, can also help to boost serotonin levels, plus it can help by stimulating production of endorphins, which act as a natural antidepressant. Sending you and best wishes for continued health and healing!
Unread 11-23-2020, 06:33 AM
Re: Crying Spells almost 7 weeks post op.

One of the hardest things to wrap our brains around is just how long this recovery takes, and there's nothing magical about our 6 or 8 week exam. Even after our release, full healing takes 4-6 months, maybe longer. I didn't fully buy into it either, until I had a few more months in the rear view mirror.

Until the time of full healing we can experience post-op symptoms, from twinges of pain and swelling, to fatigue and hormone imbalance. You might've kept your ovaries, but the compromised blood supply and trauma of surgery could have them "off line" for several weeks. Mine weren't back up to speed at 7 weeks... best guess is that they were fully functioning again between 12-16 weeks.

You're not feeling like yourself yet, and add to that the onset of longer nights and all this COVID stuff in addition to anything else going on in your life... very little is what we're used to, and that all wraps up in a stinky little package ! I wouldn't bet on your emotions being a "new normal". Give it time, try some of Tiger_Eye's suggestions, and know that you're not alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2020, 08:02 AM
Re: Crying Spells almost 7 weeks post hysterectomy

Hello Kmorris! I’m in Week 7 of my recovery and have also been mostly emotionally feeling “okay” also. I too thought I would feel happier and more joyful at this point, but I do not. I feel frustrated with my body and slow and ungainly and have to remind myself constantly that “it’s okay, you’re a survivor, you’re healing!” I second the advice about daily walks outside to blow the cobwebs away. It really helps me. Also, I recommend some dark chocolate! This pandemic stress is no joke. We are dealing with so very much right now, and it’s okay to cry and feel flat. It’s not going to be this way forever. You survived! You’re healing! Big hugs
Unread 11-23-2020, 08:20 AM

Taking all of this into consideration has been really eye opening for me. Being the so called strong one in my family. It's complicated to just be ME!!! To take care of me to be verbal and transparent that at this stage of my life. I'm not the strong one! That I need to nurture myself. It feels weird and good that I'm putting my needs first. Its an adjustment that I'm slowly coming into. Hope I'm not all over the place with my thoughts. It's ME!
Unread 11-25-2020, 10:38 AM

I'm sorry you are going through this. You are not alone. Many of us find that recovery isn't a linear process--sometimes it's two steps forward, one step back. And physical recovery doesn't just mean the absence of pain, your whole body was affected by your medical condition and by the surgery--your muscles, blood, bones, and hormones. They will all recover at different rates.

I do just want to add that if you did not have your ovaries removed, you will still experience normal hormonal fluctuations and menopause. The hormone changes that you experienced monthly will still happen, you just won't have cramps and menstruation to go with it. My mood swings aren't as strong as yours seem to be, but I definitely experience them. Without other telltale symptoms I have to remind myself why I'm so irritable/tired/etc. It's a weird feeling. But there are treatments a doctor can offer if your severe symptoms continue. Please don't suffer unnecessarily--ask your doctor for help if they continue.

Take care of yourself. This is a terribly stressful time even without the added stress of recovering from surgery!
Unread 12-10-2020, 08:20 AM

Hello,

I am on week 5 and I cry... All the time. Every day. And it's an intense cry. Over meaningful stuff and not so meaningful stuff. Im an emotional person, but I've never felt so emotional in my life. Also, I kept both ovaries.

I'm hoping this goes away soon. I cry multiple times per day and upon awakening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register