Anyone Have Regrets About Operation? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Anyone Have Regrets About Operation? Anyone Have Regrets About Operation?

Unread 07-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Anyone Have Regrets About Operation?

First off...I have to give you guys your "props", you guys are awsome! I was reading sunshine_elaine's post crying because I feel so bad for her and no one's helped her feel better ( her DR), and you guys whip those reply's to her, and I was thinking that I had NO idea what to say to her to make her feel better...and then I read your posts and you guys said it all. That is just awsome!
2nd is I don't regret my Hyst. Best decision i've made for myself..there was no way in heck I was dealing with that pain @ my periods any longer..5 months was enough! I don't feel less as a woman, matter of fact I feel more sexy because I know my DH doesn't get that "week" off for good behavior anymore!! I knew I wasn't having any more kids 4 was enough for me..they're too expensive..lol. I'm 33 and i'm really glad I got it done.
And for all of you that are suffering thru recovery, my heart, prayers and thoughts go out to you guys, there's no way I could really understand what you're going thru, but, we're all here to vent if you need us.
Hugz
Bernadette
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2005, 02:52 AM

I agree with Bernadette! Even with all of my problems, I truly feel for you, sister!! Depression is nothing to mess with. Sending plenty of s and wishing you the best!
Unread 07-30-2005, 06:24 AM

I am upset I did not have a different surgeon and I really think this guy has a an ego larger then teh entire US. He never wants to admit anything can happen when he does surgery. OH well. I have ahd a hard time with this surgery healing to du the trouble but, if I compare taht to my 15 day periods and all of teh apin and vomiting when i ovulated. I am so glad I did this. I am sure in a few months I will be happier.
Also if you r DR told you that he saw no endo when they get your pathology report it may tell tehm that you had adneymosis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-30-2005, 07:05 AM

Elaine, though I don't really know what you're going through, I do feel for you. My situation was almost opposite. Before surgery I felt horrible all the time. I spent precious little time with my husband and friends because I didn't want to be around anyone. Now I feel as though my life has changed completely, I'm back in it and I'm here to stay come what may.

This surgery is not something to take lightley. You have to go in it with the right attitude. I do believe that's everything. First and foremost find the right doctor. My first gyn dumped me and that was the best thing that happened. My new doc was compassionate, understanding and very patient. When I was in his office it was all about me.

Second, learn everything you can. There are risks, lots of them, some are minor some are not. Most will be minor setbacks.

Third, resign yourself to settling in for a long recovery. Expect 6 weeks minimum. There's a good chance you won't feel great before then. I see many women writing that they are so frustrated about feeling awful after a couple of weeks and they regret the surgery. It takes times, if you go in knowing that, then it won't be as hard to take.

Elaine, you asked what women in other countries do differently that causes them to not have as much surgery. The answer is nothing, they have the exact same problems that we do. And for the most part, they spend the best years of their lives suffering with their symptoms. I think their own countries don't care enough about women to pay for their surgery except in extreme cases, and maybe not even then. I'm thankful to live in a country that has a cure and that I have an insurance company that is willing to pay for it. A few weeks or months of recovery are nothing compared to the years I've already suffered and would have suffered had I not gone ahead with the surgery.

Elaine, don't lose faith in God. There is a passage somewhere in the bible about pain and suffering that goes something like this:

Suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, and character produces hope.
Unread 07-30-2005, 09:25 AM

No regrets. The pain and bleeding so interfered with my life. I'd been anemic for ages. And I have one surgical result I never even expected. Prior to surgery, I got up 4 or 5 times nightly to go to the bathroom. This had gone on for so long, getting worse as the past few years went by, that I just accepted it as part of being in my forties. As soon as I got home from the hospital, I noticed that I was sleeping for stretches up to 7 hours long. I thought those days were gone forever! Then I went to my son's baseball game last night and didn't have to use the Porta-John. This was an unprecedented and exciting development for me, LOL! Guess my bladder is enjoying its extra space without fibroids!
Unread 07-30-2005, 09:28 AM

HI!
NO REGRETS here!
CIN 3 removed LVAH July 12th.
Feeling and healing good, Big weight lifted not having to worry so much about cancer.
Good luck to y'all!
Unread 07-30-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Worm
And I have one surgical result I never even expected. Prior to surgery, I got up 4 or 5 times nightly to go to the bathroom. This had gone on for so long, getting worse as the past few years went by, that I just accepted it as part of being in my forties.
Wow. You know, I just realized this has happened to me! I used to have to get up several times during the night to use the bathroom, but I have not been doing that - in spite of all the water I'm drinking during the day! I bet my fibroids were pushing on my bladder, too. This is wonderful because I was getting tired of always having to go to the bathroom. I just thought that was "normal."
Unread 07-30-2005, 10:07 AM

I agree with Swank, I have also read where the death rate is higher for women in other countries, that have female problems because the countries don't have the money for health care. They have to do all that they can just to survive on a daily basis much less take care of their health. Pinklemonade, I couldn't have said it better. Just remember it all takes time, for some of us it may be longer. and to all. Carol
Unread 07-30-2005, 10:44 AM

Enduring my post op has been a challange, but I am one of the ones with complications. My ureter was damaged, probably kinked or pinched during surgery. This caused a build up of urine up the ureter and into the kidney. Causing the kidney to swell to 5 to 10 times normal. Requiring a second surgery to implant a stent, the jury is still out on further damage. I hope to find out soon.

But as to your question "do I regret having this done"? Not one bit. I feel good, except for the kidney - it likes to ache. But aside from the ache I feel great. I do have worries but they tend to deal with my complication.

Ces.
Unread 07-30-2005, 12:42 PM

I was taking presciption pain meds each month to get thru my periods, we tried every birth control pill, but they all caused my already high blood preasure to sky rocket. The bleeding each month was getting worse, anemic, every time. And you know what taking extra iron can do to you! Eight years ago at age 28 I was told due to my hypertension, I shouldn't have any more children, I could have stroke and die, (or worse end up a huge burdan to my family). So for eight years I have been on all kinds of Birthcontrol and scared when the time of the month didn't show up on time. It was a huge decision to do this surgery! And yet not so big - no more worry about getting pregnant - and birthcontrol making my blood pressure higher - no more heavy pain meds - no more heavy bleeding - no more risk of uterine or cervical cancer. A few months of discomfort in exchange for the rest of my life to spend with my children, my very DH (and an uninterrupted sex life). Almost care free! Man I feel like a woman! No regrets here!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register