Breast cancer/ lymphoma scare - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Breast Health

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Breast cancer/ lymphoma scare Breast cancer/ lymphoma scare

Unread 12-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Breast cancer/ lymphoma scare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Be sure and mention the weight loss to the oncologist, as that's potentially a clue. When you say "down to 104," what was that from?
From 140 in less than 6 months.
I have had people asking me for months if there was something wrong with me. Also friends telling me I look tired. I started taking protein bars and a large cup of milk with me every morning to eat on my way to work and taking yogurt, fruit, nuts, raisins and things to snack on every couple of hours for energy. Hoping to gain some weight. I gained about 5 pounds. But it has been difficult to say the least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Re: Breast cancer/lymphoma scare

The reason I was asking is that doctors tend to be a lot more interested if you've lost more than 10% of your body weight. If you want your doctor to pay attention, you say, "I went down from 140 lbs to 104 lbs in less than six months and I don't know why." That gets their attention more than saying that you're down to 104 lbs.

In addition to the pain in your armpit and chest, do your joints feel stiff?
Unread 12-02-2018, 02:18 PM

Okay. I will be sure I share the weight loss I don’t have joint pain at all. Just swelling and pain under the arm. I do feel short of breath at times and pain between my shoulder blades.

I was hoping it would be something hormonal and would be a simple fix but I’m just unsure and so are the doctors apparently. But it really had not dawned on me to mention the weight loss. (The armpit has had my undivided attention) 😂😂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2018, 02:32 PM

I used to have a boss who had polymyalgia rheumatica. Unexplained weight loss would be one of the symptoms of that, which is why I was asking. But for PR, you should also be having stiffness as well as pain, so I don't think it's that.

Tell your docs *everything*, because you don't know what's related and what isn't. If your little toe on your left foot's been hurting recently, tell them that too. Let them sort out what's relevant and what isn't. That's part of what they're trained to do.

Make a list to bring with you when you see the oncologist. So far we've got:
- Pain in armpit and chest, above breast, *and* between shoulder blades.
- Lump in armpit.
- Swelling in armpit if you meant that this was separate from the lump.
- Unexplained weight loss: 140 lbs -> 104 lbs in < 6 mos.
- Shortness of breath.

Now for *me* in *my* particular situation, two, possibly three, of those things are potential symptoms of an endometrial cancer recurrence, even though they have no obvious connection with my pelvic area. See what I mean about needing to tell your doctor *everything*?

(Unless your hysterectomy was for endometrial cancer in the first place, that's not what's going on with you now. I'm just mentioning it as an example of how different symptoms can be connected.)
Unread 12-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Does this ring any bells?

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sh...d.php?t=611123

"I am having severe chest tightness and having a hard time breathing. Also pain in my back between shoulder blades." That's you posting 08 Sep 2015. Was that ever resolved?
Unread 12-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I used to have a boss who had polymyalgia rheumatica. Unexplained weight loss would be one of the symptoms of that, which is why I was asking. But for PR, you should also be having stiffness as well as pain, so I don't think it's that.

Tell your docs *everything*, because you don't know what's related and what isn't. If your little toe on your left foot's been hurting recently, tell them that too. Let them sort out what's relevant and what isn't. That's part of what they're trained to do.

Make a list to bring with you when you see the oncologist. So far we've got:
- Pain in armpit and chest, above breast, *and* between shoulder blades.
- Lump in armpit.
- Swelling in armpit if you meant that this was separate from the lump.
- Unexplained weight loss: 140 lbs -> 104 lbs in < 6 mos.
- Shortness of breath.

Now for *me* in *my* particular situation, two, possibly three, of those things are potential symptoms of an endometrial cancer recurrence, even though they have no obvious connection with my pelvic area. See what I mean about needing to tell your doctor *everything*?

(Unless your hysterectomy was for endometrial cancer in the first place, that's not what's going on with you now. I'm just mentioning it as an example of how different symptoms can be connected.)
Thank you so much for all of your advice. I will definitely make a list of everything that’s been going on.

I didn’t have any type of cancer. I was just having heavy bleeding that wouldn’t stop. But i did have breast implants from 2002-2012 and was originally diagnosed with Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma from the implants. I had the implants taken out. That was the recommendation from the doctors at the time. Also had drains to remove all the fluid around the outside of the implants. Which was the original reason they suspected ALCL.

The pathology report came back after surgery clear. So I’m unsure if that’s what it was? It was so rare in 2012 that only 60 women worldwide had been diagnosed with it.

I’m thankful they are sending me to an oncologist so I can give him all this information and hopefully get some answers soon.

I’m so sorry you’ve been through the dreaded disease. Thankful you are here! You’ve been a great help to me. I really appreciate you very much!
Unread 12-02-2018, 02:54 PM

In my case, the bark of the "dreaded disease" was worse than its bite. I had a hysterectomy, the cancer turned out to be early stage. My gyn oncologist and I thought I didn't need further treatment. Oops! Nine months later it was back. We zapped it with radiation and poisoned it with chemo. Not the most fun six weeks of my life, but also not anywhere near as awful as I anticipated. More than four years active treatment, I'm happy, healthy and physically active.

Whatever the results of your lump biopsy turn out to be, ask the oncologist, "What's the next step?" Because there's always going to be a next step. It's *always* too soon to give up! :-)
Unread 12-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Does this ring any bells?

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sh...d.php?t=611123

"I am having severe chest tightness and having a hard time breathing. Also pain in my back between shoulder blades." That's you posting 08 Sep 2015. Was that ever resolved?
Yes this was shortly after my surgery and they thought I had trapped gas. I do believe that’s what it was because it went away shortly after.

That’s the only other time I’ve experienced chest pain and tightness until November 18th this year.
Unread 12-02-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
In my case, the bark of the "dreaded disease" was worse than its bite. I had a hysterectomy, the cancer turned out to be early stage. My gyn oncologist and I thought I didn't need further treatment. Oops! Nine months later it was back. We zapped it with radiation and poisoned it with chemo. Not the most fun six weeks of my life, but also not anywhere near as awful as I anticipated. More than four years active treatment, I'm happy, healthy and physically active.

Whatever the results of your lump biopsy turn out to be, ask the oncologist, "What's the next step?" Because there's always going to be a next step. It's *always* too soon to give up! :-)
I am glad to hear your happy and healthy. It’s great of you to continue to pop in and help all of us with questions and worries.
Thank you so much! 😊
Unread 12-04-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKris24 View Post
I started having shooting pain in my armpit Aug 18, that would come and go. Over the last few weeks the pain has increased and become more persistent. I feel a lump toward the back of my armpit. It is not tender to touch. My armpit hurts and causes pain in my chest as well. Should I be concerned? I went into urgent care November 18, they sent me to ER. I was admitted for heart test. Everything came back normal. I went back to ER a few days later and was checked for Pulmonary Embolism. I have not worked since November 16th. The pain will not go away. What else should I do? My mom had breast cancer but she had no pain. She passed away in 2006
I had a painful lump. I went to urgent care and took a round of antibiotics. It was still there and painful. I was sent for an ultra sound and mammogram. I was told it was a sebaceous cyst and if it still bothered me to see a dermatologist to remove it. Now I’m waiting on a referral to dermatology.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register