Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 - Page 84 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Unread 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jul 09-Jul 16,2007

Hello, Sisters. I am in extreme shock right now; a bridge over the Mississippi River just collapsed here in Minneapolis. My daughter and granddaughter drive it each day; they are usually on it the time it collapsed and today they were on it 1.5 hours before it collapsed. I will try to 'chill' but it's hard..................hard, hard, day.

Thank you all for your stories of the OR. I will read them in more detail later. Right now my hands are literally shaking. Everyone here is trying to reach people whom they know are on that bridge each night. My granddaughter's daddy............he lives over there and we can't find him. He likes to ride his bike and jog..........I pray he wasn't on that bridge today. You all have a good evening. E. I'm just in shock!! Mpls will be on national news and CNN/ MSNBC tonite, but for all the saddest of reasons.

TVH/CIN3/CIS clean path report
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Oh something else kinda funny I remember...when still in that holding type room my surgeon came in to talk to me and I told him I was so upset that I had started my period the night before, (very light) I was going on and on like I had to deal with it for the next 5 days, he said "it's only going to be a matter of minutes now and when you wake up it's going to be gone...we both laughed and I said I am ready I was so mad that morning about starting my period (like I usually am, and never was a pad girl so I went that day for surgery with a tampon LOL, I had to ask in that holding room what to do with it LOL LOL...then they had me walk down to a bathroom and gave me a pair of mesh type underware and a pad...nothing like going out with my worst fear...a pad...I was almost appologizing for it LOL WTH, I thought it was funny my surgeon wasn't making a big deal of it like I was...he had kind of a puzzled look like that's what wer're here to get rid of LOL...
Unread 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM

E ~ We must have been posting at the same time!

Oh No E ~ Praying all your family and friends are safe...we just tuned into CNN and it's on.............WOW looks devistating!

Prayers going out to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Thanks for writing, gemini3. All the cell phones don't work. We can't find my granddaughter's dad and i'm praying he wasn't over there even though it's his neighborhood and he likes to bike/jog over there. My granddaughter's school where she goes for summer program was labeled right on the map of the bridge span. I got hold of teen..........she's in shock. When we lived over there like i said she asked every single day, mom, what if the bridge goes in the river while we cross. Every day, over and over for six years she asked me until we moved. I don't even know how my daughter and granddaughter will get over there tomorrow. Looks like all bridges are closed so how to get from one side of the city to the other when that's the only way to go? Maybe I'll have granddaughter here now again........we don't have to cross any rivers between our houses. It's unbelievable. I walked one lap. I was tearing up. One more to go. It's too stressful watching it and it's too hard to get anyone on the phone. They are begging people not to use their phones. But everyone is to call people.

And they say not to stress during recovery.

The one saving grace is that bridge wasn't to full lane capacity because of resurfacing. If it had been full lane capacity there would be four times the number of trucks and cars in the river and smashed. Four times more.

Thank you for your prayers. I will post if we find Junior (my granddaughter's daddy)...........E
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:26 PM

E -
I am watching the coverage of this disaster right now - I am so happy to hear that your daughter and granddaughter are safe. How far are you from the bridge? I can't image the devastation. I think we all should just stop for a moment and say a prayer.
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:31 PM

I am about 7 miles from there. I used to live over there. My teen used to ask from age 2 to 9 when we moved: mom, what if the bridge falls if we are on it? She asked me every single day for all those years. I always told her what we'd do, over and over and over. My big daughter calls me every five min. She can't get ahold of her daughter's dad. He loves to bike and jog after work. He could have been on there and she's in tears. I keep telling her he's okay but I don't know if he is. And my daughter drives it every single day w/the granddaughter to go to the Marcy summer school (I've seen Marcy on some map coverage)... now she is in panic mode of how will i get to daycare in the a.m. There are still two other bridges that go over: one is a span w/no supports at all (that's the one that always scared my teen) and the other is a 'regular old one' that's even older than the one that collapsed. The only saving grace is that the bridge wasn't up to four full lanes each direction due to resurfacing. Then it would be fourfold number of people in the river. My daughter who drives it each day is remembering all the workers she sees each day and said she always feels for them working in the heat. It is all unimaginable. I turned off the t.v. It is too sickening to watch. Stress, stress, stress. I pray Junior is okay.

Hystersisters, I apologize for writing on this strand about the bridge. I know this is for post op only. I apologize up and down. This is stressing us all out. I almost lost my precious family members today by 1.5 hours. And we are still missing one of them. Life is so precious. Lucky there is some thunder around; it is keeping me from walking myself into the grave just because of the stress tonight.

Everyone have a good night and thank you for your prayers. I hope we all continue gracefully on to recovery. I can't think straight anymore tonight. Take care everyone............E.

TVH/CIN3/CIS clean path report
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Try to stay positive about your granddaughter's father. Easier said than done, I know. He just may be unable to get in touch.
Unread 08-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini3
E ~ LOL, no I didn't jump in...Putting that on hold til next summer for sure!!!

I also was rolled into the operating room awake...looked just like on the TV shows,LOL, ALOT of doctors etc., already with masks and gloves on, quickly everyone had a job to do and I helped myself to another bed (like a board thing)everyone had a job to do head to toe, I do remember them stretching out both my arms but don't know if they strapped them down or not, seemed like everyone was doing something and I remember the anestesiologist quickly appeared over me so I forgot about the rest and said I was going to get very sleepy FAST cause they were putting something in my IV, I didn't even know one of the people had already put an IV in they were all doing so much so quick, I remember trying to talk and say I'm not sleepy enough and thought no one was listening and that's all she wrote zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzLOL I didn't even see the mask coming at me LOL!

:
That was my experience when I went in for my DNC and biopsy, everyone was introducing themselves to me, lot's of people. I felt very important. Probably took them longer to scrub up than I was in the room, 20 min at most.
When I went in for my hyster I was pretty much out before I left preop. I remember them saying something about a mask and what it was for and then they must have been trying to put my arms out and I must have kept pulling them back because I remember them telling me that they had to have them out....and that's all she wrote. I don't even remember recovery except them saying they were taking me to my room. Woke up in bed a few hours later.
Unread 08-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini3
Oh something else kinda funny I remember...when still in that holding type room my surgeon came in to talk to me and I told him I was so upset that I had started my period the night before, (very light) I was going on and on like I had to deal with it for the next 5 days, he said "it's only going to be a matter of minutes now and when you wake up it's going to be gone...we both laughed and I said I am ready I was so mad that morning about starting my period (like I usually am, and never was a pad girl so I went that day for surgery with a tampon LOL, I had to ask in that holding room what to do with it LOL LOL...then they had me walk down to a bathroom and gave me a pair of mesh type underware and a pad...nothing like going out with my worst fear...a pad...I was almost appologizing for it LOL WTH, I thought it was funny my surgeon wasn't making a big deal of it like I was...he had kind of a puzzled look like that's what wer're here to get rid of LOL...
I had those pretty mesh undies too.
this was so funny, I had told dh that if they came out and said that for whatever reason they could not do my vaginally then they were not to do it. Well, the nurse suggested we tell the dr that ahead of time so they called him back out to see me.....he walked up and said:
"What? Did you change your mind?" LOL, he's pretty funny.
Unread 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM

I will pray for you because I know this is a huge stressor at this already stressfull time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register