Leaking urine after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leaking urine after surgery Leaking urine after surgery

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Leaking urine after surgery

I never had a problem with this prior to surgery but everytime I go to the restroom a few minutes later I leak a little. I use panty liners but YUCk. I didnt want to change one problem to another .. Doctor said it could be from the foley or the surgery itself and should repair itself but if its still bothering me when I go for my post op she will check into it further.. Anyone else have problems

I had a TAH no cervix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2008, 04:12 PM

I also have problems with this. I am 6 weeks post op - TAH/BSO. Mine progressed to literal flooding. My dr is now treating me for a bladder infection and seems to think that is the problem. I went to see her 10/31 the first time. She did the tampon test, which came back negative, and started me on an antibiotic. By Monday, 11/3 I was much worse so she started me on a different one. It seems to be improving some, and the leaking has become leaking again instead of flooding. I am hoping this is the problem and there is nothing more to it.
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:52 PM

I had the same problem after my second surgery, it was totally uncontrollable it only lasted 10 days,my Dr said the reason was my bladder got really beaten up during my surgery. Hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2008, 07:18 PM

I had my surgery 9 months ago and we had quite a long post going on about urination post surgery... It takes me quite a while to go as it seems to come in spurts... go, wipe, go... etc... and the stream is totally different... kind of sprays side to side.. (hopefully not too much information)..
I asked my gyne at 6 wk check up why that was... He said it was not related to the surgery... ( I AM NOT BUYING THAT) My best guess is that the bladder sits differently since there is no uterus...
Mine has not gotten better, but I have learned to adapt and just allow more time when I have to go..
Best of luck to you.
Unread 11-08-2008, 02:05 AM

Ladies, not sure if this will help....

I have found that if change position (lean forward & back) after I think I am finished, more comes out.

I started to do this after I got home as I seemed to be leaking the minute after I stood up.

Hope you all get this issue cleared up soon as it can be miserable to deal with.

Hugs

Katy
Unread 11-08-2008, 04:03 PM

Yes I try that too, I even bought a life stool for the bathroom, it elevates your knees so hence another way to void, I even have stood up and sat down again. I know I retain urine in my bladder, about half and half.. not good!! I started taking Ditropan (sp ck) a few days ago to keep my bladder muscles working better so I can fully void.. it takes practice to fully void, I really need to get it right soon.. GOOD LUCK TO everyone!
Unread 11-08-2008, 05:03 PM

I am pleased to update everyone that this is my 5th day on the 2nd antibiotic and the leaking has improved GREATLY! Apparently the biggest problem really was the infection. I go back to the Dr. Mon. to see if she wants to continue for another week or not.
Keep thinking positive - it does get better!
Unread 11-08-2008, 06:10 PM

I had the birch procedure done in 2000 and was having trouble empting after the Dr removed the super pupic catheder and thats what he told me to do, bend over head resting on knee, it actually worked, eventually everything went back to normal, I am doing it again, and really seems to help.
Unread 11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
leaky bladder

I am 4 and half weeks post op and I was so looking forward to never wearing pads again. I have to wear one all the time now because a cough or sneeze and I flood it with urine. I stood up and walked across the room the other day and trickle trickle. I am to young for depends. Will it really go away?
Unread 11-09-2008, 10:08 AM

Hi all, my bladder was beat up!! I had horrible spams and pain in my bladder for about 6 months. I tried to eat less acid foods and no tea or sweet and low it seemed to help. BUT now past few months its all back UGH.

When the nurse took out my cath I just went to sleep. When I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom urine came flooding out all over me and the floor/bed/jammies what ever was in the way. I was scared as you can imagine. Thank God it didnt last long and slowly got better. Have you checked with your DR rj1234 if you have a UTI? I had leaking problems a few weeks after surgery and it was a UTI. Get some AVO UTI testers at the drug store.. if it tests positive, to take a urine test at your dr! GOOD LUCK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register