Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure?? Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 10-25-2020, 02:37 AM
Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

Hello everyone

I'm Kate - 30 years old, no kids or spouse. I've had irregular periods since the very beginning (I was 12, was told they'd eventually even out - they did not), most of the time they're only 2-3 days long once a month, but some months, they're 5-6 days and occur twice a month. I used to t hink I was lucky to have such short periods, but then took stock of the horrible cramps, severe mood swings, increased anxiety, mess of hormonal acne that I still get (another lie - being told I'd grow out of acne) and realized that The Big Man in the Sky thought it was humerous to just double up on PMS symptoms in exchange for a shorter duration. I also have a few other chronic illnesses like IBS and Panic Disorder that flare to a miserable degree with each period.

Never had a pap smear, but in my defense, until recently, there weren't any gynecologists in the area that accepted my insurance. My GP has let me slide by without because I'm a virgin/not sexually active and wasn't having any issues - but I know that will only get me so far. I did genetic testing through an outside company for a different health issue and I can say that I do NOT have a BRCA mutation, so outside of dense breast tissue leading to an increased risk of Breast Cancer, I'm not an any kind of increased risk of ovarian or uterine cancers. I've tossed around the idea of "having my tubes tied" for a few years, but within the last 48 hours, I've started having pain that can really only be caused by an Ovarian Cyst, judging by the location. Combine that with my lack of desire to have biological children, and it's just further cemented my decision to have a surgical procedure to end all of this.

HOWEVER, it wasn't until I started to legitimately research that I realized there were several different KINDS of procedures - Hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Salpingo-oophorectomy, etc. I'm more confused now than I was before. I want to have my ducks in a row before I approach my GP about this, since I know many doctors are reluctant to do procedures like this that could affect fertility in young, single women unless there is some kind of imminent risk (my doctor also works for a catholic-based healthcare system which is even worse)


Have any of y'all had a hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Saplingo-oophorectomy (with or without hysterectomy) done on a completely optional basis, particularly if you were in your early to mid 30's? Which procedure would you recommend and why?

Thanks for any tips, tricks, support, or words of advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 10-27-2020, 06:38 PM
Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamhysterical20 View Post
Hello everyone

I'm Kate - 30 years old, no kids or spouse. I've had irregular periods since the very beginning (I was 12, was told they'd eventually even out - they did not), most of the time they're only 2-3 days long once a month, but some months, they're 5-6 days and occur twice a month. I used to t hink I was lucky to have such short periods, but then took stock of the horrible cramps, severe mood swings, increased anxiety, mess of hormonal acne that I still get (another lie - being told I'd grow out of acne) and realized that The Big Man in the Sky thought it was humerous to just double up on PMS symptoms in exchange for a shorter duration. I also have a few other chronic illnesses like IBS and Panic Disorder that flare to a miserable degree with each period.

Never had a pap smear, but in my defense, until recently, there weren't any gynecologists in the area that accepted my insurance. My GP has let me slide by without because I'm a virgin/not sexually active and wasn't having any issues - but I know that will only get me so far. I did genetic testing through an outside company for a different health issue and I can say that I do NOT have a BRCA mutation, so outside of dense breast tissue leading to an increased risk of Breast Cancer, I'm not an any kind of increased risk of ovarian or uterine cancers. I've tossed around the idea of "having my tubes tied" for a few years, but within the last 48 hours, I've started having pain that can really only be caused by an Ovarian Cyst, judging by the location. Combine that with my lack of desire to have biological children, and it's just further cemented my decision to have a surgical procedure to end all of this.

HOWEVER, it wasn't until I started to legitimately research that I realized there were several different KINDS of procedures - Hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Salpingo-oophorectomy, etc. I'm more confused now than I was before. I want to have my ducks in a row before I approach my GP about this, since I know many doctors are reluctant to do procedures like this that could affect fertility in young, single women unless there is some kind of imminent risk (my doctor also works for a catholic-based healthcare system which is even worse)


Have any of y'all had a hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Saplingo-oophorectomy (with or without hysterectomy) done on a completely optional basis, particularly if you were in your early to mid 30's? Which procedure would you recommend and why?

Thanks for any tips, tricks, support, or words of advice.
I had a saplingo-oophorectomy with total hysterectomy in Jan 2019 because I’m BRCA2+. I’m incredibly high risk and yet, had I known the extent that having the surgery would affect my mind and body, I probably would have opted out. I am 39, but feel 60+. The joint pain is insane sometimes, my mental fuzziness and lack of focus drives me nuts (I’m not ADD but I feel like I am now). My hair is falling out, my skin is so dry. Exercising is so much harder as I have lost muscle mass and I love exercise but I struggle with it. Sex isn’t terribly enjoyable (that may not be an issue for you) because nerve endings are cut and things just don’t feel the same. I am on the highest dose of hormone replacement I can be on with my risk level. Worst of all is the insomnia.. I love sleep and used to be an 8+ hours a night and now I’m lucky if I can get to sleep and stay asleep for 6 hours.

Unless your symptoms are so beyond horrible, I’m not sure that you wouldn’t be trading one set of awful symptoms for another.. and you have a long life ahead of you!
  #3  
Unread 10-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgetlost13 View Post
I had a saplingo-oophorectomy with total hysterectomy in Jan 2019 because I’m BRCA2+. I’m incredibly high risk and yet, had I known the extent that having the surgery would affect my mind and body, I probably would have opted out. I am 39, but feel 60+. The joint pain is insane sometimes, my mental fuzziness and lack of focus drives me nuts (I’m not ADD but I feel like I am now). My hair is falling out, my skin is so dry. Exercising is so much harder as I have lost muscle mass and I love exercise but I struggle with it. Sex isn’t terribly enjoyable (that may not be an issue for you) because nerve endings are cut and things just don’t feel the same. I am on the highest dose of hormone replacement I can be on with my risk level. Worst of all is the insomnia.. I love sleep and used to be an 8+ hours a night and now I’m lucky if I can get to sleep and stay asleep for 6 hours.

Unless your symptoms are so beyond horrible, I’m not sure that you wouldn’t be trading one set of awful symptoms for another.. and you have a long life ahead of you!
I had total hysterectomy 2 years ago at age 57 was told since I had gone through menopause I would not need hormones and everything would be fine. Btw had hysterectomy because of a large fibroid abd chronic pelvic pain.

The past two years have been the worse in my life. I have seen 31 drs . I have muscle weakness, dizziness, joint pain, insomnia, nausea that has ruined my life. I used to play tennis 4-5 times a week. Now I don’t want to leave the house because I feel so badly.
I’m so sorry I had a hysterectomy. I would rather live with the chronic pelvic pain than live no life at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 10-27-2020, 08:33 PM
Re: Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

  Quote:
Have any of y'all had a hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Saplingo-oophorectomy (with or without hysterectomy) done on a completely optional basis, particularly if you were in your early to mid 30's? Which procedure would you recommend and why?

Thanks for any tips, tricks, support, or words of advice.
I will give you the advice I wish I had gotten prior to having a hysterectomy with ovary removal due to horrific PMS at age 34. It may help you avoid this major, irreversible, and often complication-ridden surgery.

I highly recommend that you look into an herb called vitex or chaste tree. It is very possible that vitex can help you keep your internal organs where they are and to make them function as intended. Basically, vitex helps to correct the underlying hormonal problems causing the symptoms you describe. It has been safely used for millenia to treat a variety of female issues, including PMS, PMDD, PCOS, endometriosis (is prescribed for this in Europe), menopause, and fibroids. It is not uncommon to have a positive change in mood when taking vitex, and some women experience weight loss as well (myself included). There is an excellent article about this herb on the Wellness Mama website, and it includes studies and sources.

Vitex can be acquired in capsule or tincture form, though the capsule seems to be the easiest and most popular. I use one called Vitex+ from a company called VH Nutrition. It is inexpensive and can be ordered through several outlets, including Amazon, where you can read thousands of reviews from women who have found it helps them. My sister, who has had irregular periods and infertility problems for years, is now beginning to cycle normally. She began feeling calmer and less anxious within a couple days of beginning the supplement. Bear in mind that it can take some months of consistent use for the full effects to become apparent, but many women feel a change within days.

For my part, I have found it to be effective in taking the edge off of surgical menopause, and it has helped with a few other things such as weight loss. Unfortunately I did not learn of vitex until years after my hysterectomy. It is one of the biggest regrets of my life that I did not know of it beforehand, because if I had, it is highly unlikely that I would have even thought of having the surgery.

I sincerely hope you explore this option, and I wish you the very best of luck.
  #5  
Unread 10-27-2020, 08:45 PM
Re: Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

Hi, Kate ~ I am in a different place in life now at 63 yr, but when I was younger I didn't want children either. It was only after meeting a kind, faithful man who loved and cared well for me that I opened up to wanting children. The rest is history ~ 3 children and thankful feelings that I waited. That's me, though, and we all need wisdom to find the way that will be best for us personally. I am so sorry you are also having to deal with concerns about an ovarian cyst, too. Just a thought that addressing hormones might be something to consider for that as well as the symptoms that have been going along with monthly (or not so monthly ) cycles.

Just a suggestion that it might be worth seeing an endocrinologist who is experienced in dealing with women's issues before taking the final step for surgery. Dr. Marina Johnson (an endocrinologist) has some online videos, and in one she describes a patient with what I think may be similar symptoms and how addressing the hormonal root cause for those symptoms could have helped her to avoid surgery and the risks that can come with it or any other major operation. Although your case may be different, it might be worth checking into. I am now dealing with prolapsed bladder issues a year after having a hysterectomy (that's one of the risks mentioned on many sites) and so think it's good that you're posting the question and wanting to explore all options.

One more thought ~ just wondering if you've been able to see a Functional or Integrated medical doctor about the IBS and possible ties to gluten, dairy, or other gut issues that might be addressed? Interestingly, in recent studies, gluten is being connected to endo as well as some of the other symptoms you'd mentioned since hormones are processed and absorbed in the GI tract. That's a whole study of it's own, for sure. I'm just thinking that if there are ways besides major surgery that could help, those possibilities might be worth looking into. Either way, praying that answers and healing come in the very best way possible for you very soon. ~Sending hugs to you, Barb
  #6  
Unread 10-28-2020, 03:17 PM
Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

Hi lamhysterical20,
I'm so glad you've reached out for insight before making a decision about having a hysterectomy or even getting your tubes tied. Bear in mind that this is a life changing major surgery that cannot be reversed & with it can come major complications. First, it will thrust you into early menopause. Your hormone levels will be altered. You'd be surprised what all our hormones do for us. Some women can't do hormone therapy for one reason or another. I agree with Letsgetlost13 that one set of awful symptoms could be exchanged for another.
I'm 68 now & had my hysterectomy in January of this year. I am 9 months post op & still recovering. I've been very active my whole life. My daughter & I actually started ballet together( in separate classes) when I was 35. I loved it & stuck with it until just several years ago...on point! I've continued dancing in one form or another until just before my surgery so I was physically in good shape. I had my surgery because of a severe prolapse of the uterus pushing on top of my bladder. I had the recommendation of 3 doctors before I proceeded. Even then, many times I have regretted having this done but have to remind myself that it was the best option presented to me & that I needed it. I had to have surgical mesh put in for support that comes with complications in itself. Bear in mind that a hysterectomy can cause vaginal vault prolapse eventually. Something to consider.
I had a cyst in my ovarie when I was pregnant with my daughter ( who is now a mother of her own children) . With rest & an ice pack it resolved itself. Thankfully they don't always require surgery. As for PMS symptoms mine were very mild until I had my tubes cauterized in my 30s. Then my PMS symptoms became greatly intensified. I had already had my family but was unable to take birth control so that's why I had it done. I only wish someone would have told me how this could change my cycles...not for the better.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you & I hate to sound so negative. It's just that you are so young to go into surgical menopause. I was so happy to hear Lavender&thyme tell of her experience with love & family because that is the first thing I thought of when you said you didn't want to have children. Maybe you won't ever change your mind about that. You have to do what's best for you...but at least you would have the option if ever you did. With a hysterectomy there is no longer the option for that decision. I just couldn't live with my conscience if I didn't at least try to warn you.
Since this is not a medical necessity, I would strongly suggest looking into none surgical options first as some of the other ladies have suggested. I hope the best for you!! Big hugs
  #7  
Unread 10-29-2020, 09:15 PM
Re: Optional sterilization - hysterectomy / ovary removal at 30? Which procedure??

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Magu View Post

I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you & I hate to sound so negative. It's just that you are so young to go into surgical menopause. I was so happy to hear Lavender&thyme tell of her experience with love & family because that is the first thing I thought of when you said you didn't want to have children. Maybe you won't ever change your mind about that. You have to do what's best for you...but at least you would have the option if ever you did. With a hysterectomy there is no longer the option for that decision.
Very well said. I'd like to add a bit, if I may. Severe PMS/PMDD/PCOS can make a woman feel overwhelmed with the world, which can make it difficult to have a relationship, and It can make parenthood seem like too much to bear. That's the position I was in. I was a hardcore childfree person and positive I never wanted children and was sure a hyst/BSO would prevent any such urges in the future. I was very wrong about this, and it haunts me every day.
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
2 Replies, Last Reply 10-14-2020, Started By Clswannack7
14 Replies, Last Reply 04-26-2018, Started By workingk9
0 Reply, Started By anairisleon
0 Reply, Started By laura1111
1 Reply, Last Reply 08-26-2014, Started By aibriley
111 Replies, Last Reply 02-27-2014, Started By cantw84surgery
4 Replies, Last Reply 08-26-2013, Started By Shankool
3 Replies, Last Reply 09-04-2011, Started By rlcombs70
8 Replies, Last Reply 12-13-2009, Started By IDontLikeRed
3 Replies, Last Reply 01-22-2009, Started By ziggy_5k
9 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
0 Reply, Aching Hearts
20 Replies, Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues
2 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
0 Reply, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
1 Reply, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
4 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
4 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
13 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
13 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

November 27,2020

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement