Fear of Recurrence | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fear of Recurrence Fear of Recurrence

Unread 06-13-2020, 02:21 PM
Fear of Recurrence

I had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer 7 years ago. I’ve always been plagued with UTIs since and had a cystoscopy to check my bladder.
A couple of weeks ago, I started to show thrush like symptoms so treated with tablet. When itching returned I contacted my GP and they took a swab to check for Infection. I received a call a couple of days later to say no infection but they had noticed a brown discharge! Yikes. I’ve been referred back to the gynae and now I fear the worst.
I’ve not been able to have a relationship with my husband since my op because it’s just too painful. In fact it’s agony.
I’m now in a real flap and fear this is recurrence. My cancer was grade one stage one with no treatment required.
Wonder if anyone has been through similar. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2020, 10:20 AM
Re: Fear of Recurrence

(((susiewest))) I had a different type of cancer but wanted to send some hugs as I think most of us can relate to this experience. The "good" news here is you will be getting things checked sooner than later, and the odds are still in your favor that this is due to something perfectly benign. For now, please try not to let your mind race too far ahead of your diagnosis. Worrying has never changed anything one way or the other and only harms us both physically and emotionally. Hang in there, (((sister)))!
Unread 06-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Fear of Recurrence

I can't say that you don't have a recurrence, but I do think it's far, far more likely that you have hormonal atrophy or radiation damage (if applicable) causing problems. I hope they sort it out quickly for you. That itching can be miserable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2020, 04:38 PM
Fear of Recurrence

Hi,
I am only speaking on something you mentioned, but not everything. I too had endometrial Stage 1 cancer and had a hysterectomy 5 years ago. I too did not have sex ( intercourse) for 4 years because it was sheer , unbelievable pain. But I want to tell you in regard to that, there is a remedy. A friend told me about pelvic floor therapy and so I went, believing it would not work, but after 3 months of twice weekly sessions and some organic creams and Premerin prescription and work at home with a dilator I can have sex again with minimal discomfort. Try it! I hope everything else works out for you.
Unread 06-16-2020, 05:52 PM
Re: Fear of Recurrence

First, I want to wish you the best and pray for peace of mind for you. I, also, had Endometrial Cancer, Stage 1, no radiation or chemo with my surgery 7 years ago as well. I wonder if it might be vaginal atrophy. I will get to that later. I have had various issues as well as an episode of red spotting and brown discharge since my surgery. Initially, I had issues with bladder as I couldn't walk out the door without a leak once my feet hit the pavement shortly after surgery. On a plane trip, I was heading to the bathroom every ten to twenty minutes having to explain to the flight crew that I had a medical issue fearing they would think I was up to no good. I found I had to really watch certain irritating foods (OJ, spices, etc.). This led me to pelvic floor therapy as well. You want to be sure that you find a therapist that works internally as my initial therapist kept saying she would go there and after using up almost all of my PT, I gave up on her. I found someone who worked internally and it seems that my bladder has been strengthened as she stretched out that area which made sex more comfortable. I have had a couple of scares: After surgery, my oncologist told me coconut oil was safe to use for dryness. I was given a sample of YES moisturizing by a therapist and some of their products have beeswax. I had a reaction and started spotting red. I followed up with my OB GYN after an awful exam (hit the ceiling) with my family physician and it turned out everything was fine and vaginal atrophy was diagnosed. The beewax irritated my tissue and caused the red spotting. I follow up with yearly visits with OB/GYN and she uses a narrow speculum and is willing to warm up the metal. Plastic is too uncomfortable for me. My husband and I have been able to have sex but have to use lots of natural moisturizers. I find there is a dry spot that initially hurts but lets up. As my sister told me, the more the better once you do. A time after the beeswax incident, I went to a Naturopath. He put me on a small dose of Estriol for dryness that my OB/GYN said was ok. I had become lax in my stretching for that area, etc. I started having brown discharge and he took me off of it. I need to follow up with him to see if there is a way to insert the coconut oil as it tends to melt fast as I started noticing dryness again or if he has a recommendation of another natural product. I am working with him on healing "gut" issues so my priority has been that lately but we are considering looking at my hormone levels once I am finished with healing my tummy. Carlson has suppositories but I discontinued using because they have soy in them. One thing that I have noticed is that I get itchy and it signals me to think about my recent diet (rice, sugar, alcohol, etc.). The itching improves once I take a product for candida. I have been tested for a couple of UTI's early on after the surgery. Also, I really work on taking supplements to boost my immune system including mushroom supplements as that was recommended after my surgery. I am allergic to Astralagus so I have to be careful of any with those. Praying that everything will turn out well for you and that something I shared may be helpful.
Unread 06-16-2020, 07:06 PM
Fear of Recurrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiewest View Post
I had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer 7 years ago. I’ve always been plagued with UTIs since and had a cystoscopy to check my bladder.
A couple of weeks ago, I started to show thrush like symptoms so treated with tablet. When itching returned I contacted my GP and they took a swab to check for Infection. I received a call a couple of days later to say no infection but they had noticed a brown discharge! Yikes. I’ve been referred back to the gynae and now I fear the worst.
I’ve not been able to have a relationship with my husband since my op because it’s just too painful. In fact it’s agony.
I’m now in a real flap and fear this is recurrence. My cancer was grade one stage one with no treatment required.
Wonder if anyone has been through similar. Thanks.
I too had stage 1a endometrial cancer two years ago. No chemo or radiation required after a robotic surgery. I have not had a recurrence but know the threat of one is very scary. I am responding to you and this is the first time that I have responded on this site. I was particularly moved by your comment that you are in agony with intercourse since I experience the same. This is not something that is talked about and I hope to connect with others about this issue. I am hopeful that you receive good news about your brown discharge. Us girls need to stick together during these rough times. If there is anyway you can keep in touch with me I would appreciate it. I’m sort of clumsy using this site. My best wishes for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register