New to HRT - still have hormone flucuation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to HRT - still have hormone flucuation New to HRT - still have hormone flucuation

Unread 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM
New to HRT - still have hormone flucuation

Hi,
I had my gallbladder removed 11 months ago. I was on synthroid at that time, but have been taken off of it 8 months ago. TSH currently 3.6. I have been switched instead to HRT at the Mayo Clinic, as I suffer from insomnia, migraine, anxiety, hot flashes etc. HRT has eliminated the heart palpatations I was experiencing and I have improved. My problem is that I still seem to experience hormonal flucuations no matter what dosage of estrogen/progesterone I try. I used prempro, but have been switched currently to estriodol 1 mg. and prometrium 100 mg. for the last 8 weeks. I was given high dosage amoxicillin this month for a dental abscess. Could that be interfering with my hrt? Doctor said he didn't think so, but I was given 850 mg. x 2 for the abscess for 10 days.
It seems like most people get relief quicker from hrt. Can anyone explain hormone flucuation to me and how this hrt is suppose to help? I am 3 years post menopause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Re: New to HRT - still have hormone flucuation

I did not notice any problem with taking antibiotics while on HRT. My symptoms seems to stay down and not a problem.

Did you have a hysterectomy, do you still have your ovaries? Ovaries fluctuate hormones until they final quit working. I have found that the vivelle dot patch gives smooth delivery of hormones, rather than other types.

Some of us need more hormones than others, and my doctor goes by symptoms rather than tests when deciding what or how much I need.

Unread 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM

Do you think I should inquire about changing brands? I feel okay in the am, but the 4pm hour tends to start the headache, anxiety, etc. like my hormones drop. Should I ask for an increase in estrogen or does it take longer than 2 months to calm down? I just don't know what to do at this point. The worst symptoms are ear ringing, headache above left eyebrow at night (somewhat improved on hrt), and anxiety. Still getting a flushed face, but not actual flash anymore. It seems like you have to know what to ask the doctor for, and I'm not sure what direction to take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't think I know more than Mayo Clinic Drs, but 8 wks seems like enough time to ask for a change. If you have your ovaries, they make a bit of hormones, too, as was said, and that can be a varying amount. Hormone pills can give you more ups and downs, maybe you could ask about a patch so you'd have a steadier level. That seems like a good discussion to have with your Dr and see what they say.
Unread 06-09-2010, 09:45 AM

I have been using the estriodol patch estraderm. It is one of the reasons I have turned to this website. You ladies know so much about estrogen patches. I am wearing in on the backside. I just seem to struggle getting the hormones to stop flucuating. I know that I need hrt, as I struggled with hot flashes post menopause for 3 years before the heart palpatations. Those are gone, But I just feel hormonal all of the time. I am on prometrium. On a smaller dose of estrogen, the prometrium made me angry. Do people take larger doses of estrogen than 1 mg? Am I someone who should look into compounding?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register