Hysterectomy scheduled for 8/11 but hormone battle makes me want ovaries removed (PMDD) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy scheduled for 8/11 but hormone battle makes me want ovaries removed (PMDD) Hysterectomy scheduled for 8/11 but hormone battle makes me want ovaries removed (PMDD)

Unread 07-27-2021, 05:13 PM
Hysterectomy scheduled for 8/11 but hormone battle makes me want ovaries removed (PMDD)

Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice/encouragement. I joined this site in 2015 at the suggestion of my OB when I was having bad menstrual issues. I finally made the decision to go through with surgery once my OBGyn confirmed bleeding fibroids and she is pretty certain I have adenomyosis (I have chronic bleeding round the clock and severe pelvic pain that feels like knives stabbing me). My hormones are also a huge burden I have never been able to resolve though, I’d take all the physical pain to get rid of the hormonal swings. My MD diagnosed me with PMDD and put me on antidepressants. My mood swings are cyclical so I know they’re hormone related. I’ve been on Progesterone for almost 10 years and even with that and the antidepressants my mood swings around my cycle are so bad they impact my family life. I’m curious if anyone else has had their ovaries removed during a hysterectomy because of this. It is now the only hope I have to somehow get steady hormones but I may just be desperate at this point and tired of being a raging b&$!% once a month. My OB wanted me to keep my ovaries so I still have them for hormones; is it silly of me to think removing my ovaries would remove the problem? I’d happily go on hormone replacement to get some even hormones if I knew it would work. Just looking for someone who understands who can give any advice or even commiseration. It’s a lonely condition and I’m weary from suffering. For the record I have tried exercise, I eat a healthy diet, I’m not overweight, and I have tried many essential oils, vitamins, minerals, and adaptogens to help and nothing ever has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2021, 08:10 PM
Re: Hysterectomy scheduled but hormone battle makes me want ovaries removed

Hi JenCo to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

I do not have PMDD, so I can not provide any personal experience. We do have many women on this site, so hopefully one with PMDD will see this post and respond. In the meantime, here is an article that may provide information:
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD).

Consider what your doctor is saying about your ovaries - that they do provide you with beneficial hormones. Surgical menopause can be difficult, and bring about other health-related issues. Here are some articles that may help:
25 Health Risks Related to Oophorectomy and Surgical Menopause
Should I Keep My Ovaries When I Have My Hysterectomy?
What Ovarian Hormones Do for You

Talk to your doctor about your concerns, the pros and cons of keeping or losing your ovaries, and make the best decision for you.

Unread 07-30-2021, 11:41 PM
Re: Hysterectomy scheduled but hormone battle makes me want ovaries removed (PMDD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenCo View Post
Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice/encouragement. I joined this site in 2015 at the suggestion of my OB when I was having bad menstrual issues. I finally made the decision to go through with surgery once my OBGyn confirmed bleeding fibroids and she is pretty certain I have adenomyosis (I have chronic bleeding round the clock and severe pelvic pain that feels like knives stabbing me). My hormones are also a huge burden I have never been able to resolve though, I’d take all the physical pain to get rid of the hormonal swings. My MD diagnosed me with PMDD and put me on antidepressants. My mood swings are cyclical so I know they’re hormone related. I’ve been on Progesterone for almost 10 years and even with that and the antidepressants my mood swings around my cycle are so bad they impact my family life. I’m curious if anyone else has had their ovaries removed during a hysterectomy because of this. It is now the only hope I have to somehow get steady hormones but I may just be desperate at this point and tired of being a raging b&$!% once a month. My OB wanted me to keep my ovaries so I still have them for hormones; is it silly of me to think removing my ovaries would remove the problem? I’d happily go on hormone replacement to get some even hormones if I knew it would work. Just looking for someone who understands who can give any advice or even commiseration. It’s a lonely condition and I’m weary from suffering. For the record I have tried exercise, I eat a healthy diet, I’m not overweight, and I have tried many essential oils, vitamins, minerals, and adaptogens to help and nothing ever has.
You didn't post your age or how close you are to natural menopause (which can be anyone's guess anyhow) which may make a difference. I had depression connected to my cycle too. My doctor didn't buy it being hormone-related or put me on hormones at that time. At least she gave me an antidepressant. It was well overdue!

I would suggest you consider a change in your anti-depressant as it may not be the best one for the condition you're dealing with. PMDD is something I had since a teen and it really needs attention! I was depressed too much of my life! And perimenopause for me was a new kind of depression (started for me around 48) I was prescribed Wellbutrin which helped immensely. (all meds take weeks to kick in)

My depression turned more to anxiety a few yrs ago and they switched me (a slow wean) to escitalopram. That being said, I went into natural menopause at 56 and have been more balanced because of that too.

I had my surgery this past June with all removed. Most of the women I surveyed had kept their ovaries and suggested I do. But most of them had their procedures before menopause and when younger. I've read online ovaries continue to produce all life long. But I've also realized they "retire".

My doctor (who is young) suggested mine were of no use any longer (which was offputting) I was unsure until she pointed out some women have to go back later due to a cyst on the ovary or other issues. I decided one operation was plenty. In getting my results back today, I read one ovary may have still been producing. I also read there were cysts on one of my fallopian tubes (also removed) that hadn't been noticed by any test. These were not cancerous.

I checked with my doctor whether it would be a different operation if I decided to keep the ovaries. She said no and that I had until I was in the operating room to finalize the decision. When in there, she did ask me to tell the room what we were taking out. By then I had decided take it all to be safe from cancer. It was comforting to learn just prior that a local friend had the operation and had it all removed.

I still get hot flashes and was told it is not connected to whether I have ovaries or not. I won't be going on HRT as I'm over 60. I was on it a couple of yrs in my 50s for the night sweats.

So, my dear, that is my 2 cents. If you know some friends who have had to make a similar decision their input might help if they are willing to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2021, 07:22 AM
Re: Hysterectomy scheduled for 8/11 but hormone battle makes me want ovaries removed (PMDD)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I just turned 40...so I have a bit before natural menopause kicks in. You gave me a lot to think about and most importantly thank you for the encouragement and support ❤️.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register