Upcoming hysterectomy on 16th May: Bra or no? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy on 16th May: Bra or no? Upcoming hysterectomy on 16th May: Bra or no?

Unread 05-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy on 16th May: Bra or no?

Ok so I know I am now obsessing over little things but I am wondering if I even need to bother wearing one on Thursday. I'm not going to want to put one on Friday morning to go home and go back to bed. So why bother? What is anyone else thinking about this? LOL OK maybe we need a little humor as we approach this surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Re: Bra or no?

Good question... I no longer recall . I definitely didn't wear one home, and being the logical gal, checking in at 6:30am for 8:30am surgery, knowing I'd be in hospital gear for my stay, I might have dispensed with one entirely. If I wore one, it woud've been solely for ride comfort, but really, my "girls" aren't that large, and there are no pot-holed roads between the house and the hospital .

Unread 05-14-2019, 03:27 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy on 16th May: Bra or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1307 View Post
Ok so I know I am now obsessing over little things but I am wondering if I even need to bother wearing one on Thursday. I'm not going to want to put one on Friday morning to go home and go back to bed. So why bother? What is anyone else thinking about this? LOL OK maybe we need a little humor as we approach this surgery.
I wore mine to the hospital, it would have felt weird not to, but didn't wear it home. I wore a soft, loose dress and flip flops to the hospital and planned to wear that home. I ended up wearing the pajamas I'd packed home, though. Everyone said to walk so i put on the stretchy sleep pants with the gown for walking around. Then I ended up trading the gown out for my big sleep tshirt. The gown was so long I kept getting tangled up in it when I'd get up for the bathroom or to walk. I went home that night and just didn't bother changing back into the dress once my doctor said I could leave. I didn't want to stick around any longer and I was SO TIRED, it just didn't seem worth the effort. Once I got home I kicked off the flip flops and slept in the recliner the first night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2019, 03:46 PM

While you're planning ahead, I cannot say enough good things about the tummy pillow. I wasn't sure if I'd need it since mine was a LAVH, but a few of the ladies recommended getting it anyway. It has been a lifesaver! I used it on the ride home from the hospital and every day since then. It's like inside my abdomen is what hurts, and having that to cushion myself, cushion the heating pad, or tuck an icepack in has been so helpful. You will definitely want it whenever you cough too.
Unread 05-14-2019, 03:51 PM

Hey my Dear,

I was happy and still I am to have an excuse not to wear these torture items called bras
But to answer your question with another one. WHY would you want to wear a bra when you go for a major surgery? I choose to wear a loose shirt, so no one even noticed and it makes sense after surgery to wear something easy and loose.
So my advise... Bounce your Boobies
Have a successful surgery and smooth recovery.

Pidy
Unread 05-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Hi Jenn1307 -

I wore a bra to the hospital, but did not have one on for my stay - 3 1/2 days. On the way home, I wore my bra and the same clothes I arrived in. I would have felt weird without my bra. I am small chested, but feel odd without a bra.

However you would feel most comfortable you should do - that will be the key to most anything in recovery.

Unread 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM

I didn't wear one. I just wore a sweat shirt with a tank top underneath. No one is going to pay attention anyway. Patients will be worried about themselves, their families will be worrying about them, nurses tell you to get undressed right away... I say leave that thing home. After the surgery you may have trouble reaching to put it on anyway. I know I certainly would not have been able to get one on by myself within the 1st few days post-op.

I say let the girls enjoy a little freedom! And good luck with your surgery!
Unread 05-14-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn1307 View Post
Funny to read this, bra or no? was one of my last questions before leaving for the hospital. It was a resounding NO! You won't miss it for a second.
Unread 05-15-2019, 01:06 AM

I did wear a bra, on the way in and on the way home, because to me bra = normal and it helped me feel better (less like I had had an op and more like I was getting better)!

I didn't wear a bra while in hospital and actually found my nipples got really sore from my clothes rubbing on them that they aren't used to
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:51 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/16: Bra or no?

Like Marestail, I feel strange without a bra, plus I had my surgery at the height of pothole season, so I wore a bra heading into the hospital, and packed another one for the ride home. I was in a hospital gown for the duration of my hospital stay, and it sure felt good when I was finally able to change back into my normal clothes! One important tip in choosing clothes for the ride home is to choose shoes that you can put on easily, and loose-fitting pants to accommodate the dreaded Swelly Belly ; I chose drawstring pants and my favourite pair of walking shoes - I almost had to go home in my pajamas after my brother absconded with my pants when I went into surgery, and I wouldn't have cared, but he brought them back in time. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register