Upcoming surgery 9/30: Vaginal hysterectomy questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming surgery 9/30: Vaginal hysterectomy questions Upcoming surgery 9/30: Vaginal hysterectomy questions

Unread 09-21-2016, 06:04 PM
Upcoming surgery 9/30: Vaginal hysterectomy questions

I have read just about every post on this site which has left me with two questions. I know I can call my doctor and ask, but it is 8:00p.m., so I'm sure she is already home. Plus, these types of questions keep me up at night!

1. Some people said that after a tvh they did not have swelly belly because their doctor did not have to inflate their stomach to do a tvh. Other people said they had swelly belly after a tvh. So, why are there two different results for the same procedure?

2. A couple of people have said they had a tvh and had incisions or puncture holes outside of their vaginas. Why is this?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Re: Vaginal hysterectomy questions

Hi Itwillallbewell -

Swelly belly is not associated with gas that is pumped into the abdomen area. It is the bodies reaction to the surgery performed. I had a swelly belly and I had open abdominal surgery where no gas is used. Not all women get swelly belly, it just depends.

The women you refer to probably had vaginal assisted laparoscopic assisted vaginal surgery. Here are all the hysterectomy types and their descriptions.

Hope this helps.

Unread 09-22-2016, 06:22 PM
Re: Upcoming surgery 9/30: Vaginal hysterectomy questions

I understand the difference between the two procedures. The posts I read were both vaginal hysterectomies. The one said she was shocked to see small incisions right outside her vagina and the other was commenting on how uncomfortable the puncture wounds in her vaginal area were after surgery. This weekend I will go back and try to find the posts.

I also read where people said they had no swelly belly after a tvh. My friend had a tvh last year and said she had no swelling at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itwillallbewell View Post
I understand the difference between the two procedures. The posts I read were both vaginal hysterectomies. The one said she was shocked to see small incisions right outside her vagina and the other was commenting on how uncomfortable the puncture wounds in her vaginal area were after surgery. This weekend I will go back and try to find the posts.
Okay. I misread what you were originally asking. I will see if any of our other hostesses know the answer to your question.

Unread 09-22-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
. . .

2. A couple of people have said they had a tvh and had incisions or puncture holes outside of their vaginas. Why is this?

Thanks!!
((Itwillallbewell))

Often during a TVH the labia are sutured to the inner thighs, pulling the vaginal opening wider and allowing the surgical team to have a unobstructed view of the vagina. Not all surgeons do this . . . I'm sure yours will be glad to explain it in more detail.

on your surgery dear.
Unread 09-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I have read just about every post on this site which has left me with two questions. I know I can call my doctor and ask, but it is 8:00p.m., so I'm sure she is already home. Plus, these types of questions keep me up at night!

1. Some people said that after a tvh they did not have swelly belly because their doctor did not have to inflate their stomach to do a tvh. Other people said they had swelly belly after a tvh. So, why are there two different results for the same procedure?

Thanks!!

I had a TVH, so I will chime in with my experience.

Swelly belly is the body's response to the trauma of surgery. The body sends extra fluids to the area to protect it and help it heal. Think of a sprained ankle and how it will swell. If you stand on it a lot before it's healed, it will swell more. I had no CO2 pumped into my abdomen during my surgery. I had huge swelly belly. I easily looked 7 months pregnant for the first few weeks post op. It gradually went down, but would reappear for a very long time post op. We are all very different regarding whether we swell, how much we swell, and how long it lasts. Most women seem to be done swelling around the 3 month mark. Surgeon skill is likely a factor in this as well.

When I woke from my TVH, I had a sore spot on either side of my vagina. It was clear to me that a clamp had been used down below to keep my labia away from the vaginal opening. The areas were bruised but felt better in a few days. I had no punctures down below. I wonder if the member you're referring to is talking about the incision at the end of the vagina, where the cervix used to be?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register