Adenomyosis | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Adenomyosis

I have severe adenomyosis which was treated with thermo ablation in 2005. It got worse. My doc then prescribed Provera, progesterone, for the heavy bleeding. After skipping two months, I had a period that lasted 45 days. I wasn't taken Provera those two months because I thought maybe I was going through menopause (I just turned 50). I had my regular pap test and mammogram last week. I am supposed to go back Oct. 30 for an MRI (this will be the third in three years) and a pelvic ultrasound. He then wants to give me an injection of Lupron, which will send me into an immediate menopause and do another thermo ablation a month later. Has anyone experienced any of this? He also wants to do another hysterscopy. I had one of those three years ago as well. It was done in the office and was extremely painful. He said if I went into the hospital to have the hysterscopy I might as well do the thermo ablation since I'll already be asleep. Unless cancer is detected, he is hesitant to do a hysterectomy because of scar tissue in the bladder/uterus area. Help anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Adenomyosis

Hi rita_faye
I'm sorry you are having these problems.
I had severe adenomyosis too, which is why my ablation failed. Although some diagnostic tests can be suggestive of adenomyosis, unless it's surgically confirmed the adeno diagnosis is usually a suspected diagnosis. Mine was confirmed during a hysteroscopic myomectomy I had the same day as my (rollerball) ablation. The ablation was no big deal and I would have opted for a repeat had I been a candidate for one. My cramps and pain were drastically worse after my ablation. My adeno bled each month, but the blood would get trapped behind the scarred (ablated) lining & my uterus would go into overdrive with cramps trying to expel the blood. The pain was like labor pains. Since my problem was pain and severe cramping, a repeat ablation would have made things even worse. Had my only problem been bleeding, then yes - I would have jumped at the chance for a repeat ablation.

BTW, I did do a 3 month course of Lupron prior to my ablation in hopes of reducing my thickened endometrium and shrinking the fibroids prior to the myomectomy.

If you are considering a repeat ablation due to bleeding, then it may help relieve that problem. If you are considering a repeat ablation due to pain, your odds of success may not be as favorable. I think a second opinion is a good idea for any woman going through these big decisions. Even though I was pretty sure hyst was my only option left, it really helped put my mind at ease to have another professional tell me.

One of my sisters and two of my friends have had great success from their endometrial ablations. The two that were closer to menopause never had another period. The other did, but it was so light that it wasn't a problem. None had adenomyosis though - not that we know of anyway.

Good luck with your MRI this week, and getting the info you need to make the right decision for *you*

Sending gentle your way
Beth
Unread 10-27-2008, 03:01 AM
Adenomyosis

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, Sistabeth. Your contraction-like pain from trapped blood is exactly what I've been experiencing. The previous two MRIs revealed the adenomyosis, according to my doc. I think the first ablation made it worse. I forgot to mention I've had two c-sections.
Did you finally have a hysterectomy?
Yes, I am seeking a second opinion this week. I wanted to see someone before Thursday's appt if possible before having the Luprin shot.
Your description of the pain associated with your period will be helpful to me in explaining my problems to both docs. Thank you so much.
[quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2008, 06:16 AM
Adenomyosis

Yes, I had a hysterectomy 7 months after my ablation. I had a couple "good" months where I had no bleeding d/t the lupron still being on board, when my periods returned they were lighter but the pain intensity just grew & grew. I would've had the hyst even sooner but it took that long to arrange everything between my schedule, my second opinion and my GYN's schedule.
Kudos to you for getting a second opinion. Let us know how it goes.

More s
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register