Upcoming hysterectomy 2/21: Scared to death | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 2/21: Scared to death Upcoming hysterectomy 2/21: Scared to death

Unread 02-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 2/21: Scared to death

Hi ladies, I was supposed to have my hyster back in January and 3 days before it was canceled due to the MRI showing a blocked ureter. Fast forward and now my hysterectony and ureter surgery are in 2 days.

Two different surgeons will tag team and do both surgeries. The reason I am so scared is when I saw the surgeon for our last consult last Thursday, he said right away I am at high risk for bleeding and injury. And that my MRI is very concerning.

So ive had an abdominal myomectomy and 2 c sections so lots of scar tissue. After my daughter was born in 2015, I just missed needing a blood transfusion. And my OB told me I could NOT get pregnant because delivery would be super dangerous. I think for the same reason this hysterectomy is dangerous.

Essentially, I'm scared I'm going to bleed to death. That an organ will be punctured. know, I shouldnt think like that. But I can't help it. None of my previous surgeries scared me-this one does. My anxiety is through the roof and I'm not sleeping well. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Re: Scared to death

I am so sorry you are having such anexity! I will say a prayer for you.
I had major anxiety this time around as well and mine didn't hit until the day before, total breakdown. For me it did not go away until randomly one person in the OR told me his name and I clung to that, moments later of course they were sending me to sleep.
Many employers have assistance programs that offer counseling, many 24/7 by phone. If you can take advantage of that. If not confide in a good friend, while I was in pre-op I was texting a friend with those fears.
If you can contact your doctors office, maybe they can prescribe you something to calm your nerves.
Unread 02-19-2018, 02:59 PM

Hi, I’m really sorry that you’re so worried about this. I would suggest that you call your surgeon today and ask them to clarify about the bleeding. Are they just saying that you might end up with a blood transfusion or two or three? Try to get them to say exactly what they think is the worst case scenario and how they treat it. Only because I bet what is in your mind is worse than what they are thinking because you said you think you may bleed to death. I can assure you that if they thought you were going to bleed to death they would not even be doing surgery on you because it is too risky. You know they do turn down some people for surgery if they are too high of a risk! Surgeons love to fix things they don’t do surgery on people who they think they may lose.

I would also ask them is there a risk for puncturing an organ? The uterus and bladder are right there in front so I’m not sure exactly what organ that you think is a problem. I asked my surgeon how many da Vinci hysterectomies he had performed in the answer was over 2000. Did you ask how many your surgeon has done if you were type of surgery? Since there will be two surgeons in the room you know you’re going to have two sets of eyes on you at all times looking for if there is a problem.

The uterus and bladder are right there in front so I’m not sure exactly what organ that you think is a problem. I asked my surgeon how many da Vinci hysterectomy as he had performed in the answer was over 2000. Did you ask how many your surgeon has done if you were type of surgery? Since there will be two surgeons in the room you know you’re going to have two sets of eyes on you at all times looking for if there is a problem.

I am the type of person that squashes their worries with facts. I talk myself out of my fears with facts that are opposite to my worry So I am suggesting that you try to say method, learn a little bit more and get them to answer more specific questions and then you can be calm down about it.

So I am suggesting that you try the same method, learn a little bit more facts and get them to answer more specific questions and then you can calm down about it.

I told my anesthesiologist that I was pretty nervous. In the prep room they give you a push of meds in the IV. She told me it was going to be kind of like having a glass of wine or a margarita just take the edge off. But she knocked me out completely! So I have no memory of being pushed down the hall, going into the OR , being moved to the other table, and getting the actual general anesthesia! I never got to do the backwards counting from 10 thing!

Cortisol is the stress hormone. It is not good for healing. I am urging you to contact your doctor and ask them questions so you can get calmed down. You need your body to be as calm as possible to work optimally to heal. Hugs to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2018, 03:35 PM

I understand what you are feeling. I was very scared of not waking up. I am 6 days post op.
I think you will do fine. I had three c sections and lots of scar tissue. But it went just as planned.
Just have faith that you're doctors know everything they need to and prepared to handle any situation.
Unread 02-20-2018, 04:21 AM

I agree with the above posters. We can make ourselves sick worrying about the what-ifs, but once we come to our senses, and arm ourselves with the facts, we realize that the complications we'd feared are extremely rare, and the vast majority of hysterectomies turn out well. When I was told I'd need surgery, I was extremely scared and anxious, worrying about how things would turn out, and what could go wrong, especially because this would be my first time under full anaesthesia, which scared the h*** out of me, but once I connected with this site, and started getting the facts, and reading about the real-life experiences of other sisters, I knew that everything would go okay; meeting with my nurse and my anesthesiologist beforehand gave me further reassurance, and I sailed through it just fine. You can rest assured that these people are highly trained professionals, who will do everything in their powers to ensure that you will get through this okay, and will be equipped to handle any complications that arise. So just take a few slow, deep breaths, and before you'll know it, you'll be on the other side! Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 02-20-2018, 06:57 AM

I am so sorry that you are feeling so frightened. All of the risks that you are talking about certainly are possible. That is why the doctors need to talk to you about them. From what I know, they are rare occurrences not likely to happen with skilled surgeons and good hospitals. Even if you bleed and need a transfusion, that doesn't mean that you will bleed to death. I won't tell you not to worry, because it is normal to be afraid. Just keep repeating the facts to yourself and keep your hands busy if you can. That certainly helps me.

Lots of deep breaths and know that there are alot of us here who are cheering for you!

Unread 02-20-2018, 08:32 AM

I'm so sorry. That kind of anxiety is very disabling and takes over your thoughts. I agree with the above - arming yourself with knowledge might set your mind more at ease. It might be reassuring to hear some "if - then" from your surgeons and the anesthesiologist.

Throughout my own health trials I've found that some doctors are just not very sensitive to my fears. They throw terrifying words around as casually as if they're talking business with a colleague. I guess they do have to tell you the risks, but they're kind of casual about it. Maybe this is your case too?
Unread 02-20-2018, 11:47 AM

Thanks, ladies. I think that's it. How the surgeon worded everything at our last consult. He literally started with this will be a high risk surgery. And ended with "your MRI is very concerning". Didnt put me at ease, that's for sure! He's a fantastic surgeon but no bedside manner.

I just keep thinking about how my OB said it would be super dangerous to get pregnant and have another delivery and remember how worried she was I would get pregnant. And how I lost a lot of blood during that end c section and how many adhesions I had and have now.

I'm worried about my bladder because the uterus is up against it plus the urologist will be putting stents in my ureter. Its a complex surgery because they don't know yet how bad the damage is inside and how bad the ureter is and what he will do as far as fixing it and possibly reimplanting it. There are just so many unknowns as I have endometriosis all over and that's what damaged the ureter.

I havent been so scared before any prior surgery and I have had so many. This one just worries me. I'm trying to remain optimistic but finding it hard.
Unread 02-20-2018, 12:35 PM

I have been afraid of bleeding out as well. I bled out during both of my children's deliveries. 4 blood transfusions with the first, 2 with the second. I mentioned this concern to my doctor and she told me not to worry, that the bleeding then has nothing to do with now.
It's so hard not to let our thoughts feed our fears. This site is such a good outlet.
Praying for you! You will make it!
Unread 02-20-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamyscribbles View Post
I have been afraid of bleeding out as well. I bled out during both of my children's deliveries. 4 blood transfusions with the first, 2 with the second. I mentioned this concern to my doctor and she told me not to worry, that the bleeding then has nothing to do with now.
It's so hard not to let our thoughts feed our fears. This site is such a good outlet.
Praying for you! You will make it!
Oh my gosh! What was the cause both times?
Thank you!! I wish you all the best, too!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register