Upcoming hysterectomy 12/16: fibroid - not sure if that is my best decision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/16: fibroid - not sure if that is my best decision Upcoming hysterectomy 12/16: fibroid - not sure if that is my best decision

Unread 12-07-2020, 01:36 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/16: fibroid - not sure if that is my best decision

I am scared to the death. I have a Hysteroctomy coming up next Wednesday and at this point not sure if that is my best decision. I have a 4.9CM fibroid that is causing heavy menstrual period and pain. I don’t know if I am making the right decision. I am afraid of all the outcomes, post-op and everything after. Any help will be appreciated it. I don’t know if I should seek another opinion but I have surgery already schedule for Dec. 16th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2020, 04:21 PM
Re: Hysteroctomy options

i would highly suggest getting a second or third opinion since you have doubts. another dr may offer you a different solution or even a less invasive type of surgery. dr's can only offer the surgeries they are trained to do. vaginal and total hysterectomies remove the uterus and cervix. there are less invasive ypes where you can keep your cervix. and if your ovaries are healthy i would recommend keeping them so you dont go into surgical menopause. do a lot of research.
Unread 12-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Re: Hysteroctomy options

I suggest speaking to an Interventional Radiologist to see if you are a candidate for embolization, aka UAE. I had a 9cm fibroid embolized and it has shrunk over 90%. Had very messy periods too. My last one last 84 days. I never suffered from heavy bleeding after I was embolized. I highly suggest looking into this if you have doubts. It was a game changer for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2020, 06:26 PM

Thank you!! I appreciate your input.
Unread 12-08-2020, 04:01 AM

and greetings from a fellow fibroid sister!
In addition to speaking to an interventional radiologist, I suggest getting a second opinion from an OB/GYN who specializes in treating fibroids, like the one who did my surgery. These doctors have more specialized expertise, and might be able to recommend a less invasive approach, whether it's an embolization, a laparoscopic hysterectomy, or a myomectomy. If you do decide on a hysterectomy, I agree that you should keep your ovaries and cervix if they're healthy, as I kept mine, because it will be much better for you in the long run; however, I do suggest having your Fallopian tubes removed, as was done in my case, because recent studies suggest that ovarian cancer often starts there. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Unread 12-08-2020, 10:21 AM

Thank you!
Unread 12-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 12/16: fibroid - not sure if that is my best decision

Hi,

I was scheduled to have surgery in Dec but did more research including this site with all the wonderful support you could ask for, and decided to look for alternatives. I too, have fibroids but we'll see what a 2nd opinion brings. I was in doubt like you and remembered it's never good to undergo a major operation such as this (especially when it's not life-threatening) while in doubt.
Sending you lots of light and positivity!
Good luck!
Unread 12-09-2020, 02:29 PM

About 2 hours before my surgery I met the surgeon to sign the papers... we talked through and even at that late stage he said I could cancel. So, regardless of what’s booked when the decision is still open and if you want a second opinion then seek it. I went ahead with mine but the circumstances were very different.
Good luck xx
Unread 12-09-2020, 03:10 PM

I had a biopsy and it show I had disordered proliferative endometrium with the fibroid, that is why doctor suggested Hysteroctomy. She said we can prevent cancer in the future since there is some evidence of developing cancer.

Your thoughts,
Unread 12-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Don't be afraid to get a second opinion, and don't feel rushed. You need to be confident that this is the correct choice for you.
Light and Positivty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register