Is .3 Premarin oral enough? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is .3 Premarin oral enough? Is .3 Premarin oral enough?

Unread 07-29-2020, 07:31 AM
Is .3 Premarin oral enough?

I am 44yo, had my uterus, tubes, ovaries and cervix removed 1/29/20. I was in hell, as my doctor was not a fan of prescribing HRT for me. At my six month follow up, I convinced her my quality of life was so bad I was feeling hopeless, she prescribed .3 Premarin two weeks ago. If anything I feel like my hot flashes and night sweats are worse. I was hoping to feel some relief by now, but am worried it is not high enough of a dose, or do I need to wait longer? I am afraid she may not give me a higher dose. I was so excited she finally agreed, and now I am starting to feel hopeless again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2020, 08:08 AM
Re: Is .3 Premarin oral enough?

Prescribing hormones isn't an exact science, so starting on a low dose (which your .3 Premarin is) and working upward isn't an unusual approach. It may help to keep a daily journal of the symptoms you are having. It will give a good picture of how you are doing over a period of time. My doctor had me wait 3 months before making additional changes, but doctors will vary on that. What's important to know is that any changes, up or down, can result in fluctuations which result in symptoms. It takes time for any dose to reach optimal levels.

If you're still having symptoms further along into using this dose, make your case for increasing the dose with your doctor. If she doesn't agree, it may be time to find a different doctor who is more knowledgeable about prescribing hormones for women in surgical menopause.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

Unread 07-29-2020, 11:54 AM

.3 is a very small dose. As April Dawn said it's common to start at a low dose and go up. The hot flashes can be from the fluctuations. If she didn't give you a time frame to wait it out I'd give it 1 to 3 months and ask again. Most Dr's I've seen want you to wait anywhere from 1 to 3 months before changing it again. If at that time she doesn't want to increase your dose then I would find a different Dr. Oral Premarin comes in .3, .45, .625, .9, and 1.25 mg. strengths. I know for me I tried it once and I was put on the .625 at first and that wasn't enough for me and I'm 53. There are many, many Dr's out there that believe we need estrogen and that it has many benefits. Don't be afraid to go get a second opinion even now. I would if you feel like your Dr. isn't listening or doesn't seem to think your quality of life is important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDot*Mocha View Post
.3 is a very small dose. As April Dawn said it's common to start at a low dose and go up. The hot flashes can be from the fluctuations. If she didn't give you a time frame to wait it out I'd give it 1 to 3 months and ask again. Most Dr's I've seen want you to wait anywhere from 1 to 3 months before changing it again. If at that time she doesn't want to increase your dose then I would find a different Dr. Oral Premarin comes in .3, .45, .625, .9, and 1.25 mg. strengths. I know for me I tried it once and I was put on the .625 at first and that wasn't enough for me and I'm 53. There are many, many Dr's out there that believe we need estrogen and that it has many benefits. Don't be afraid to go get a second opinion even now. I would if you feel like your Dr. isn't listening or doesn't seem to think your quality of life is important.
I take Premarin 1.25 but I'm still a hormonal mess .. was on 6.25 for years it was good then all of a sudden 8 years ago I hit the wall , doc put me on 1.25, took awhile and things got just a little better .. now I feel like my body doesn't really absorb premarin anymore. I have friends who had surgical menopause and in 0.625 for 20 years and doing great.

I'm depressed , insomnia , fatigue all the time, don't want do to do anything, it's all an effort. I'm normally not like this, 8 years ago , I was great, felt good , had a lot of energy , now I feel low , tired ... my thyroid is good , just had it done.. so frustrating.
Unread 08-02-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo2700 View Post
I am 44yo, had my uterus, tubes, ovaries and cervix removed 1/29/20. I was in hell, as my doctor was not a fan of prescribing HRT for me. At my six month follow up, I convinced her my quality of life was so bad I was feeling hopeless, she prescribed .3 Premarin two weeks ago. If anything I feel like my hot flashes and night sweats are worse. I was hoping to feel some relief by now, but am worried it is not high enough of a dose, or do I need to wait longer? I am afraid she may not give me a higher dose. I was so excited she finally agreed, and now I am stabrting to feel hopeless again.
I have tinnitus too , a hissing that gets louder at times , if I get a surge, it will get louder or if I get to excited . The other day , my stomach felt nauseous and the hissing was louder.. it's odd. I know it's the new norm.
Unread 08-02-2020, 09:19 PM

My doctor started me on the estrogen patch the day after my surgery. I don't know about dosage but I sure hope things improve for you soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register