Did you get a second opinion? - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Did you get a second opinion from another surgeon before scheduling your hysterectomy
Yes, I got a second opinion and it helped give me additional options 1,187 20.11%
Yes, I got a second opinion but it didn't really matter in the long run 1,348 22.84%
No, I didn't get a second opinion 3,087 52.30%
I didn't have time to get a second opinion. My hysterectomy was an emergency 280 4.74%
Voters: 5902. You may not vote on this poll

Did you get a second opinion? Did you get a second opinion?

Unread 12-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Did you get a second opinion?

Five years ago, I got a second opinion and continued with this second opinion doctor when pelvic exploratory surgery was highly recommended and done. After a couple of years, (due to insurance problems), I got back to this same doctor and fully trusted her to perform the TAH/BSO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Post - Did you get a second opinion? Second opinion (s)

1. I went to my Primary first- she referred me to an Ob/Gyne who was very kind, but her office extremely unprofessional. I struggled for a diagnosis for the first 6 months and had to find a different Doctor.
2. Diagnosed with endo in June, received Lupron injections- saw a GI and spoke with my primary again before scheduling hyst.
Unread 01-05-2009, 03:36 PM

I had a second opinion. I went through with the hysterectomy last December 5(a year ago)The surgeon talked me into keeping my left ovary and now I will have it removed January 9. Hopefully no more pain or trouble after this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM

I went to my family practitioner who is also a Gynocologist and she is the one who told me I needed a hysterectomy because my uterus had moved up into my stomach and also because I had some periods that lasted 20 days or so. She referred me to the OB/GYN who examined me and determined that it was in my best interest to have the surgery. I had very large fibroids which were causing all the bleeding. I have TAH/BSO and it's been going on 1 1/2 years now. Both my Dr. and the Dr. that did the surgery were very nice and concerned about my health. I'm glad I got that done.
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:13 PM

I didn't get a second opinion from another Dr, but did have hubby go talk to my surgeon before making a decision. He's had bad surgery experiences in the past, so if he thought it was a good idea, that was enough for me.
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:20 PM

I went to one GYN who wanted to do the Ablation for my excessive bleeding.

I went to another GYN who did more testing and agreed that one or the other was in order. I opted for a hysterectomy where they found focal endo as well as a CIS 3-4 lesion on my cervix. I'm glad I had my second opinion. If I had the ablation they would have not found it until it was advanced.

C
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM

I am so glad I got a second opinion. The first doctor said I would have to have a TAH. The second doctor said I was a good candidate for an LSH which was a much faster recovery. Plus, the first doc wanted to automatically take my ovaries. The second doc (which did the surgery) said it was my choice, so I kept them. It has sure made my recovery much smoother without having to deal with the additional chaos of hormone swings.
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM

Let my try this again *sigh* I'm so technologically challenged today ...

I was 37 when I was told that I would have to have a fully hysto. Not something that I was over eager to do, so I looked around. After several second opinions, I found a surgeon who said that I could keep my ovaries, but it would be up to me as to when the surgery would be. So I kept him. We tried a few "natural" remedies to shrink the fibroids (what a load of rubbish in my case) and there was always the hope that The Change (have been going through it since 34) would shrink them, but as with a previous poster, they just grew faster. Three weeks before my 40th they took my uterus. Still got my ovaries, however, their stay in my body is looking rather tenuous, but until the surgeon says it's time for them to go, I'll keep on keeping on ...
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM

I got 2 other opinions, which made me feel much better, and I had a few options. But in the end, it came down to the same thing. All doctors said I needed a total hysterectomy. Surprisingly it worked out fine because none of the drs. knew I even had endometriosis, and if my ovaries had been left in, it would have just kept on feeding the endo. Originally my surgeons thought that I had just fibroids, but when they opened me up, they told me that the endometriosis was everywhere. Which now explains why my periods were so horrid and my back would ache constantly. I'm glad I had everything taken out and am now doing well, despite no HRT. Oh, by the way, I'm 46. Actually, I still have my cervix. There was too much endo around it and not enough time for the drs. to remove it, so I still get yearly pap tests. But the miserable PMS is gone now. I suffered with that for years. I still have my days, but I feel so much better than I did before It's been almost 2 years now since my surgery and it seems like just yesterday that I was waiting to get a date for the surgery.
Unread 01-05-2009, 04:50 PM

That's why I'm glad I had everything out at once. To avoid a second surgery. Though it was ironic. The day I had my hysterectomy I also had my gallbladder out, so I had 2 surgeries in one. Took me a long time to recover but I finally did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register