Running and half marathon 15 weeks Post-Op: My POSITIVE experience - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Women Who Run

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Running and half marathon 15 weeks Post-Op: My POSITIVE experience Running and half marathon 15 weeks Post-Op: My POSITIVE experience

Unread 06-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Re: Running and half marathon 15 weeks Post-Op: My POSITIVE experience

I easily will do 10 days without a rest day. In early prep for my first ultra, I ran a 5k for 40 days straight, a leisure 9-10 minute mile as the goal for my early ultra prep was running on tiered legs. At same time, I was working with a strength trainer at the gym twice a week and keeping up with my intense twice a week training with my tennis coach. After those 40 days, I dropped gym and tennis and focused on long slow distance pacing on long runs for the 3 months leading up to the ultra.

Like I said though, in general my body responds well to a rest day every 10 days or so. So if you have fuel in the tank, angst to run out, and if running relieves other pains.., keep going or take a rest day of running, cross train or take a long walk.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Running and half marathon 15 weeks Post-Op: My POSITIVE experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalgamble View Post
I easily will do 10 days without a rest day. In early prep for my first ultra, I ran a 5k for 40 days straight, a leisure 9-10 minute mile as the goal for my early ultra prep was running on tiered legs. At same time, I was working with a strength trainer at the gym twice a week and keeping up with my intense twice a week training with my tennis coach. After those 40 days, I dropped gym and tennis and focused on long slow distance pacing on long runs for the 3 months leading up to the ultra.

Like I said though, in general my body responds well to a rest day every 10 days or so. So if you have fuel in the tank, angst to run out, and if running relieves other pains.., keep going or take a rest day of running, cross train or take a long walk.

Good luck!
Thank you for your kind reply. Yes I think if my head wants to run I'm going. Was trying to be kind to my body post operatively but it's back fired. Sat in pain lol wishing I had run today . Thanks again
Unread 06-25-2018, 05:02 PM

I’m 3 week’s post op and planning a half in September and as much training as possible in the winter... I want to be conditioned come spring 2019 race season.

If you want a good read, check out Pursuit of Endurance. Written by Jennifer Pharr, just came out in April. She doesn’t just tell her story which is super impressive, but she chronicles all the great pioneers of running and fastest known time record holders... inspirational is an understatement! I’m only week 3 going on week 4 so I can only read about long distances. I can’t wait to be cleared to run. I don’t even care I have to start back at square one for mileage. I’m so thankful to have that stupid fibroid out, and looking forward to taking back my life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2018, 11:18 AM

I'm going back and forth of when to schedule my hysterectomy because I am doing the Disney princess Fairytale challenge in 2019. If I schedule it for the second week of Dec, I'm not sure I will be able to finish the races. but, at the same time, I know I need to get this hematometra out before it causes more damage.

This post gives me hope! Thank you!
Unread 09-29-2018, 12:28 PM

Thank you all for giving me hope of running again! I’m 10 days post total hysterectomy and the web is full of negative stories...I have renewed hope that I’ll be back to half marathon training again soon!!
Unread 10-12-2018, 04:36 PM

Thanks for posting and all the replies.... I'm pre-op at this time, but running has been significantly decreased over past several months due to severe pain. I am sooooo looking forward to feeling strong again. It is amazing how fast your body changes when you go from running every day to only 1-3 days a week. This thread is very encouraging.
Unread 11-30-2018, 02:02 AM

So good to read your post thank you for sharing. I have read so many scary things that made me think I would never run again or be looking at more surgery if I tried! I am 2.5 weeks post op and a runner desperate to get back to it but am currently walking up to 1.7 miles. I really hope I can follow your example. Inspiring thank you x
Unread 01-31-2019, 07:00 AM

I have been stalking this site since my LAV hysterectomy not posting just reading and I just found this forum!! It made me soooo happy to read your post!!! I go to my post op apt today and I am hoping they let me start running in the next few weeks!! I ran a marathon 2 months prior to my surgery and I swear being in that shape helped so much with my recovery! So happy to have found running hyster-sisters!! YAY!
Unread 01-31-2019, 10:33 AM

Good luck on your appointment.
Unread 05-15-2019, 03:03 AM

Thanks very inspiring.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register