Cervical Cancer: Dilators - a softer alternative | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dilators - a softer alternative Dilators - a softer alternative

Unread 11-16-2010, 11:13 AM
Dilators - a softer alternative

Hello Ladies

Like a lot of you, I have been having problems with the dilators supplied by the hospital, particularly since I developed vaginal necrosis, which hurts like h**l.

I also find that the plastic is too rigid - the tube of the douche which I have to use while about the same diameter as the small dilator, goes in much more easily because it is in a more supple material.

Some of you have mentioned the gel-type dilators, but as you say they are pricey and can only be used a few times.

I just had a spam from a "marital aids" site and lo and behold, I found what might just be the answer. I don't want to shock anyone, but they have "things" available in sets of three, going from about 2 cm to 4.5 cm diameter in supple, jelly type plastic, which are not actually designed for vaginal use (if you know what I mean). They are not particularly long, but I think they would be ideal for us very "tiny" post-rad ladies. They are also very cheap!

The site I visited is based in Europe, but I am sure these things are available in the States as well.

I shall certainly be ordering a set - hope they do come in a plain brown wrapper

Hope I've not offended anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Re: Dilators - a softer alternative

Thank you for posting about this! I've been looking into some that are sold in the states, and as you said, they can get pricey. I figured to replace them every 2 weeks (as suggested) and shipping (since I don't have an extra fridge to store a bulk boxed order and can't imagine keeping a box of dilators on my kitchen fridge LOL) it would run appx $500/year.

While it may not be much compared to other items we have to purchase, such as meds or vitamins, that's quite a chunk of change for someone living on a budget!

Could you pm me the link? I'd like to get an idea of what I'm looking for to hopefully find a store state-side.
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:29 PM

I can very much relate. I still get all nervous about going to the store...look for the check out with a female and no male baggers, and get embarrassed as anything if a man gets in line behind me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2010, 04:08 PM

There is a store on line called "Time for me"... they have reg. female "tools" and yes some are glass. I had a gel-type one that was very pliable, but I worried about the makeup of the plastic. I think a lot of these things come from China and I know the guidelines aren't as rigid (no pun intended) as here in the states. I would be interested in the link you guys are discussing ... esp. if the stuff is made here.
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:07 PM

Just a tip on mystery plastics. One bit of advice for using such items is to cover them with condoms, latex or non latex, for protection from chemicals or contaminants. Most places online that sell toys also sell condoms, or there are sites for them. Who ever thought you'd need those again. But you're right, who regulates those things. There are stainless steel as well, but I guess that's right up there with the glass.
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:15 PM

The dilators I'm using I got from a regular sex toy website. They were far less expensive than the "medical" ones but they do the job just as well. I agree with the advice about using condoms on them if you're concerned about the type of materials used. Read the instructions though - there are some "toys" that aren't compatible with latex.
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM

There is also special toy cleaner. (This may be too much information)
Unread 11-19-2010, 11:46 AM

I went in line and purchased the cool water cones. Or whatever they are called. I just purchased 1.
The packaging suggests that they can be used for up to 3weeks. I have to say that it really felt great, did not hurt at all. Still caused bleeding, but everything does..
I would say they are worth it even for part of the time
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Thanks for posting about that! I've been checking out their site and debating on ordering them. So far they seem like the best option (for my needs at least), I just haven't ordered them. The package says 3 weeks? I have to say that while its only 1 week longer, in my mind, that makes a big difference!
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:28 AM

what I did was to just order one
to try it out
Plus the only reason it is only good for 3 weeks is the lubricant, why not use for 3 weeks and then add a lubricant?
I am kind of limited right now because of all the bleeding, not sure what I should do and my gyne/onc just more or less shrugged her shoulders

janet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register