recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-24-2005, 09:55 PM
recovery

Hello everyone,
I am new to the site.I had my tah/bso four weeks ago. I am recovering slowly. I work in surgery and I am on my feet nine hours a day. I am hoping someone has gone back to work with a job that involves lots of standing. Please tell me how it went. I am also concerned about weight gain. Is it true you gain weight after a hysterectomy? Thanks. Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 10:35 PM
recovery

I have been told by other ladies that have had this done that they gained weight. It appeared the average weight gain was about 25 pounds. This is depressing. I don't want to gain anymore weight. I am not back at work this is only day 12 for me. Sometimes I feel good but I don't think that I will be able to go to work because I'm a deputy sheriff. I don't think that standing for 9 hours is good either because it will tire you. Of course I am not an expert, but I have been reading alot and I did stay at the Holiday Inn Good luck
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:02 AM
recovery

My TAH was on 12/27. I was 4 weeks yesterday so you and I have close or the same date. Things are going really well for me and I've been staying on my feet longer during the day. I try to relax when I eat lunch and then I'm up and at it again. By 6 or 7 in the evening I'm ready to chill out again but it seems like each week I get alittle more energy. You should have 2 more weeks until your back at work so hopefully that will help some. As for the weight gain. I lost 6 pounds after surgery (which is nothing compared to some women, 20 lbs+) I've only gained 2 back so far and that was this week. (Eating to much junk) I'm only 4 weeks so I guess we'll see. Did you keep your ovaries? I know that can have an effect on weight gain if they are taken. Everyone is different so don't worry about a problem you don't have yet. Take one day at a time. Best of luck.

Greta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 06:43 PM
recovery

I am only two weeks from SAH and am doing well or as well as can be expected. It is hard for me to keep myself "quiet" and not overdo as I am a pretty driven person. I have found this website helps to remind me to listen to my Dr's instructions and not overdo. I have a great DH, two teenagers and parents(living next door) so they all make me behave and my house is very well taken care of.
I have over only the past couple of days lost a couple of pounds from my pre-surgery weight I had gained a few right after the surgery. I had many fibroids including one the size of a melon that must have weighed a reasonable amount. I think the weight lose that I am now experiencing is due to less fluid retention since the surgery and the weight of what was removed. I have one working ovary left which appears to be keeping things on an even keel for me. I have also been very aware of what I am eating since my activity level is so limited. I have been eating a good deal of fresh fruit, whipped yogurt (hate the regular kind) and always oatmeal (old fashioned) and one cup of strong coffee for breakfast.
I am going to try to start to walk more this week but I live in New England and we have been blasted with snow. My Dr. does not want me to take any chances when it comes to falling so he wants me to walk only inside.
I want to thank everyone on this site for helping to answer my questions and confirm what I was thinking and feeling.
This surgery was the best decision and I am very happy that I made the choice. I have so much life in front of me still at only 46.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register