First-timer w/a question about squatting - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First-timer w/a question about squatting First-timer w/a question about squatting

Unread 02-14-2005, 03:53 PM
First-timer w/a question about squatting

Just when you think you've heard it all!! This is a new one...didn't think it was even possible, but you never know. I am curious to find out more about this now...if I find out anything I'll let you know. In the meantime...makes for an interesting mental picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 04:33 PM

holy moly!

I read the first post in here and almost spit my tea all over my monitor! I also have to admit that I laughed. Not because I find it funny, but because I do a lot of squatting at work and I all of a sudden got a visual of the look on my boss's face were it to happen!

... although she'd probably tell me to pick it up and put it back in and get back to work.. gawd knows that's no excuse for missing work!

I sit and wait for any details you gals have!
Unread 02-14-2005, 04:35 PM

I've lived in a developing country in Asia where women squat for long periods of time. I'm going to ask, but several women I know had hysterectomies and squatted for several hours a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2005, 04:45 PM

VTGeri you're so funny. I am really curious to see what the Doc has to say about this. I always thought that squatting was better for you than bending...you know...chiropractor school of thought.

Something new and interesting here all of the time.
Unread 02-14-2005, 05:05 PM

I just have to jump in here! And I'm not saying that I have a for sure answer, and I sure don't know about the squatting aspect of it, but...

I had prolapse - variety of reasons, but one of the reasons my doctor wants me on estrogen is-- to keep the atrophy of the vagina at bay.. he states that without some kind of replacement (especially since I already have this problem) that the vagina gets paperthin instead of like 'leather' (his term not mine)

so if this is the case?? other than the muscles.. wouldn't there be a droop?
And yes I have heard of the uterus (which is attached to the vagina, pulling out (or at least coming down some) during childbirth. Happened to my daughter who delivered a very large baby!!
But you know- the ladies over in Hormone Jungle would probably give more info on this-
Maybe not the squatting part though!

Just my thoughts on this..No hard facts at all!!
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:26 PM

WHA?!?!?!?!

I'm a TVH princess too, and await any news of the dangers of squatting with great interest! The mental pictures ARE pretty funny, but the reality would be another story...

Keep us posted!

A.

P.S. Happy Valentine's Day!
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:48 PM
vaginal prolapse

Yes, the vagina can prolapse if its connections give way. I don't know about squatting, but that is one reason why lifting is a no-no after having a hysterectomy. The vagina is not as well supported after a TH so you have to be careful for eternity to avoid more surgery.

ABOUT COWS........
Cows do have prolapses but they are usually uterine prolapses and they usually occur during labor. The entire uterus turns inside out with the delivery of the calf. The uterus is then stuffed back in and the cow is given antibiotics. Cows that prolpse are seldom bred again but instead are sold for slaughter.

I am glad I am not a cow......
Unread 02-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Dang...I'm glad I'm not a cow, either...although I could pass for one, some days!!!

Unread 02-14-2005, 07:04 PM

Yes, sadly, I have seen this happen to cows, it aint purty. Now, I am mentally picturing this in a human.....Generally what happens in a cow is the muscles they have are very weak, ever watched a cow do a sit up? And them pokey hooves probly dont help....Sometimes the whole dang uterus comes out with the calf, and that is even an uglier site...Can you tell I was raised on a farm? Good news is, put a stitch in, and it doesnt come out again until they are with calf again...

I was told always to squat when picking stuff up. Do I do it?? No of course not....I cannot see the vagina falling that bad. Are you sure she didnt mean some type of prolapse happening? I am thinking it is like a sock up there, never actually looked. But if my socks turn inside out, how hard is it to turn them rightside in?? Ya know I am gonna be thinking about this alllll night long now....

Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmm

Hugs
Kat
Unread 02-14-2005, 08:00 PM

OK.

I got the word. And you might find some humor here as I try my best to recount the conversation.

I told my doc about the concerns that were raised here because I for sure don't want my vagina to dislodge at the inopportune moment. Laughter here.

So, I mentioned that a male doc told one of the sisters to avoid squatting. After a very odd look from my doc (I think she tried really hard not to giggle) she did confirm that if the vagina has prolapsed or relaxed due to childbirth, natural conditions or even obesity, there is a remote possibility that the connective tissue and muscle strength might not be able in some cases to securely hold the vaginal canal exactly in it's regular spot.

She even went so far as to use herself as an example of being fearful of hard coughing or heavy lifting as she sometimes feels a shifting of that organ during heavy exertion. She's pretty fit and has had 2 kids, but she agrees that the vaginal canal ain't what it used to be...

However, she is NOT afraid of squatting and has never heard of squatting to be harmful to a prolapsed or relaxed vagina.

So, that's that word.

As far as I'm concerned, I had not had any childbirths (little sob) and she said that with all my scar tissue, my vagina is in very little danger of going anywhere. It's very secure in its web right now.

Hope the cows are still outstanding in their fields (or snow) and that all of us princesses have soft pillows for all our hard landings in life!!

Here's hugs and love,
Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register