Scheduled TAH Upcoming 5/19 hysterectomy: To cervix or not to cervix. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming 5/19 hysterectomy: To cervix or not to cervix. Upcoming 5/19 hysterectomy: To cervix or not to cervix.

Unread 04-04-2021, 10:47 PM
Upcoming 5/19 hysterectomy: To cervix or not to cervix.

My surgery is scheduled (May 19). I am having an open abdominal (due to my size and concerns the doctor has with being in an inverted position) during our conversations he indicated that I could keep my cervix. I have done a lot of reading and am disgusted by how little research or studies have been done on this topic. I understand there are risks for keeping it (cervical cancer for example) but I also think it’s crazy to take out perfectly healthy tissue. It seems to me as well that there are a whole slew of risks (additional and of varied degrees) with the vaginal cuff. It’s a challenging decision to make particularly since there is so little info to do risk and reward analysis. My mind is bouncing back and forth on this topic and was wonder if anyone out there had similar questions. And perhaps decided on some answers.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2021, 03:46 AM

Mu surgeon had originally planned to do an LAVH, which would have mandated removal of my cervix, because I had fibroids and he was concerned about more growing there in the future, along with concerns for cancer and other potential issues. I successfully pushed for a supracervical approach, because my cervix was perfectly healthy, with no history of cancer or other issues, and I was concerned about the potential consequences of removing it, plus my research, which was corroborated by subsequent talks with my family doctor, indicated that a vaginal approach would not work for me because I'd never had children. My surgery and recovery were relatively uncomplicated because I had no vaginal cuff to deal with, and to this date, I still haven't had any issues. We have an article that can help to clarify your decision, so you can do what's right for your individual situation. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Unread 04-05-2021, 06:10 AM
Re: Upcoming May hysterectomy: To cervix or not to cervix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocita View Post
My surgery is scheduled (May 19). I am having an open abdominal (due to my size and concerns the doctor has with being in an inverted position) during our conversations he indicated that I could keep my cervix. I have done a lot of reading and am disgusted by how little research or studies have been done on this topic. I understand there are risks for keeping it (cervical cancer for example) but I also think it’s crazy to take out perfectly healthy tissue. It seems to me as well that there are a whole slew of risks (additional and of varied degrees) with the vaginal cuff. It’s a challenging decision to make particularly since there is so little info to do risk and reward analysis. My mind is bouncing back and forth on this topic and was wonder if anyone out there had similar questions. And perhaps decided on some answers.?
I had TAH.....pre surgery undetected cancer found. Had all removed including cervix so no worries about that now. No chemo/rads required. My sister 2 years later not so fortunate, cervical cancer that required chemo, external & internal rads, that only finished recently. Don’t know success yet. I am glad that I did have all removed and I’ve never had a problem with cuff. I go for vaginal vault Pap tests every 6 months for 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2021, 06:12 AM

The medical community is divided on whether or not the cervix helps pelvic support, and also whether the cervix contributes to our sex lives (the latter is difficult to measure scientifically). The decision is as personal as whether to keep your ovaries, to go on HRT, pain management, etc. Just as there are negative stories regarding keeping it, there are positive stories - you just might not read as many since nothing is going wrong. Here are two articles which may help you through the decision: I've been with my doctor for 25 years - he's current on surgical procedures (not too many doctors do LSH), but very open to his patients' concerns. He's a minimalist and suggested to keep the cervix - he feels that there's some validity to the cervix providing pelvic support. I've had one abnormal pap 20 years ago, no family history of cervical cancer, so a pretty low risk for the future. Being a minimalist myself ("if it ain't broke") and discussing this with him, keeping it was fine by me.

My surgery was all laparoscopic, and what was removed came out through an incision above my belly button. I had no vaginal cuff to deal with in healing, so didn't have to worry about stumbling blocks there. On the other hand, I'll still need annual pap smears, but that'll be part of my annual pelvic exam as it always has been. I've not experienced any mini-periods as some women have - apparently my doctor cauterized everything sufficiently. (You can read about Mini Periods here.)

Nearly 5 years later, no prolapse even with a full return to fitness including weight lifting, no bleeding, no polyps, no return of fibroids (that's very uncommon according to my doctor). If I need to have the cervix removed one day, I'll deal with it then but I'm not living my life wondering if that'll happen. I'd make the same decision again to keep my cervix, even though I know more about the pros & cons now.

Unread 04-05-2021, 06:28 AM

i kept my healthy cervix and ovaries. i did not want a vaginal cuff, i like my cervix bumped during sex and the only issue i had involved my uterus, so why remove it? i have a pap every three years. even if you have your cervix removed, you still need a vaginal cuff/vault smear especially if you've had abnormal paps in the past. a lot of women think once the cervix is removed that they don't need a pap and they can't get abnormal cells/cancer in that area and it's not true. do lots of research so you can make the best decision for yourself. good luck!
Unread 04-10-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocita View Post
I had my cervix removed because I had a vaginal hysterectomy. Here is some fun info for you that I have experienced.
I had a vaginal vault inspection done by my doctor about a year or so after my surgery. Nothing bad. I was informed I no longer had to have checkups down there because there is nothing there.
Sex has been excellent, like intense.
I have had zero issues with the vaginal cuff. I did exactly as my doctor instructed and even waited a bit longer before anything entered. I was worried it would seriously affect sex and I would lose feeling or the orgasms would be dulled down or it would rupture or anything. Nothing like that happened at all. I don't even notice a difference. Like I said, sex is more intense now, so I am loads happier.

There are risks with keeping your cervix as well as having it removed. Basically I think it is really just your choice in the end. If you feel there is no point removing healthy tissue, then you have pretty much made your mind up, you are wanting others to confirm it. You should be happy with your choice. There are drawbacks to both and advantages to both.

I wish you the best of luck for your surgery.
Unread 04-13-2021, 08:21 PM

Keep your cervix vote! Remove your Fallopian tubes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register