Upcoming hysterectomy 4/19: Advice please - concerns re previous c-sections - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 4/19: Advice please - concerns re previous c-sections Upcoming hysterectomy 4/19: Advice please - concerns re previous c-sections

Unread 03-30-2021, 05:59 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 4/19: Advice please - concerns re previous c-sections

I am 47 and had 2 previous c-sections with painful recoveries. The hysterectomy was way less painful and I was pleasantly surprised to be able to walk out of the hospital right out of the surgery. I did however end up developing an infection in my pelvis, an abscess the size of an avocado and their only explanation for this was that the surgery was a little more complicated due to the c-section adhesions. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days a week PO and a drain for 2 weeks. That was way worse than the surgery! So this is not the norm, but I really send my love to my c-section sisters. I now am having back problems too due to all the cutting of my abdominal area so my suggestion is follow up with physical therapy when your doctor releases you to do so. It is such a bummer that our health care system doesn't automatically have you follow abdominal surgery with rehabilitation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2021, 08:40 PM

Hi,
I am almost 7 months post laparoscopic hysterectomy. I also have had 2 c sections and I had scar tissue. My surgeon did have to remove some scar tissue to get to the huge fibroid resting on my poor ovary but it was not problematic. Initially after surgery it was just pain! I loved an hour away from the hospital and I made sure they gave me
something for pain before I left the hospital. I did have my belly pillow with the pocket for the ride home which was a great help. I pretty much slept the entire ride home especially once we left the bumps of the city. The first 3 days were the worst. I did get wiped out easily so just listen to your body. Every day is different. Manage your pain so it doesn’t get out of control. It did not feel like a c section to me. All the best for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
Unread 03-30-2021, 08:42 PM

I had 4 c-sections and some other surgeries before my radical hysterectomy. I had many adhesions and pretty severe endometriosis prior to surgery and seem to have developed additional adhesions from my hysterectomy. At least I assume they are new ones, since I have pain that I didn't have before my surgery. It's not a constant thing just happens from time to time. Recovery from the surgery which was done the old fashion way with a vertical incision due to large fibroids and possible ovarian cancer was not too much different than the recovery from the c-sections except there was not cute baby to distract me and I had to take it much easier to try to let things heal properly. Unfortunately, my surgery was followed by chemo. The recovery from the surgery itself went much better than I had anticipated. I'm a year out and would have done it a few years ago if I had known it wasn't going to be as awful as I thought it would.
Unread 03-30-2021, 09:12 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 4/19: Advice please - concerns re previous c-sections

I had a complete hysterectomy in Dec 2019. I don’t know all the correct terms (sorry) but it was vaginal with the scopes through three other small incisions. I have had two c-sections and an appendectomy with some decent scar tissue. My Doc said he had to be pretty careful peeling (cringe!!!) my bladder, etc, away from my uterus. Even with all that I haven’t had any issues afterward. I will tell you, however, to make certain you are super hydrated before surgery!! With all the bowel cleansing (worst part of the whole thing) I am pretty sure I was dehydrated so that along with the stress from “peeling” my bladder away from the scar tissue I was HOURS in recovery waiting to be able to pass any urine. Hope this makes sense.
Hope it goes great for you and you recover quickly. Blessings.
Unread 03-30-2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendys86 View Post
Happy Saturday!
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on April 19. I've had 5 c-sections, and have LOTS of scar tissue/adhesions. Looking to hear how other hysterectomies went from those of you who had previous C-sections as well. So glad I found this site! Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a nervous wreck!
I've had 1 c-section and other surgeries and my doctor told me right before the surgery that I had a LOT of scar tissue. My surgery went just fine.
Unread 03-31-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendys86 View Post
Happy Saturday!
I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on April 19. I've had 5 c-sections, and have LOTS of scar tissue/adhesions. Looking to hear how other hysterectomies went from those of you who had previous C-sections as well. So glad I found this site! Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a nervous wreck!
Hello. I am 37 and had 3 c-sections. I am 3 weeks post-op. I had a full hysterectomy and my ovaries removed. I had a ton of scar tissue and adhesions. My surgery went well. I was in a lot of pain for about 2 weeks. Now just sore. I was able to walk and shower before I left the hospital. After about a week and a half I was able to be out of bed and moving. Still a little weak so I am not driving. Best of Luck!!!
Unread 03-31-2021, 03:15 PM

Thank you all SO much for all of the replies! It's been so comforting to hear from others with similar issues. So glad I found this site!
Unread 04-01-2021, 07:14 AM

Hi,
I have had 2 csections and alot of scar tissue. I didn't even realise how much until the pre-op ultrasound was done. I asked the surgeon if it was going to be a problem and was assured it wasn't. My surgery went smoothly and everything normal afterwards. Don't overdo it! Can't stress that enough. Like one of the other women said you will have ups and downs of energy. You need to continue to be easy on your body for recovery. I had my surgery last March and very happy since. Good luck!
Unread 04-14-2021, 08:19 AM

I had my robotic hysterectomy yesterday. I'm at home recovering. I had a c-section & gall bladder removed years ago. Everything went well with surgery. I had a fibroid, a 4cm cyst & once in there he found I had stage 4 endometriosis everywhere. Unfortunately he had to remove everything & the original plan was to keep 1 ovary if possible but that didn't happen. Staying on top of the pain meds so I'm comfortable. I have been able to take small walks to the living room etc. Don't worry everything will be fine for you. My thoughts, fears & anxiety before surgery was so much. I know its only 1st day after surgery but it's gone much better than I ever anticipated. One day at a time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register