What scares you the most about surgery? - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

What scares you the most about surgery? What scares you the most about surgery?

Unread 10-31-2005, 02:52 PM
An Idea!

Hello Sisters:

With all this talk about anesthesia, I decided to take action and do what I can to alleviate my fears. I contacted the hospital where I had my last surgery (mind you, it was 17 years ago, and it's still on file ), and they are sending me a release form so that they can release to me and my present doctor the anethesiology and relative reports for procedures used back then. Of course, I realize that these may be outdated by now, but if not, they worked great for me then, and I would be totally comfortable with them now. I do remember that the epidural did not take, so that is something for my present doctor to know.

Just thought I would pass this on in case any others out there would like to do the same thing. Since my fears stem from the unknown, I figure the added information can only help my anesthesiologist to float me effortlessly through surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
What scares you the most about surgery?

((Brennybunny))

Thanks for that information - I needed to hear it...((hugs)) donna42
Unread 10-31-2005, 05:51 PM

Good idea farmrz_daughter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2005, 05:55 PM

brennybunny3, I'm glad that you had such a great experience! That must have taken a load off your mind! Best wishes for your recovery.
Unread 11-08-2005, 10:55 AM

My biggest fear is dying on the table. Ever since I was a little girl I have always had the same horrible recurring nightmare. I could see myself (as an adult) on the table, could see the drs and everyone around me and then all of a sudden I hear the horrible constant beeb telling me that I've died. Because of that nightmare I have never let any doctor cut on me. Having this surgery done will be my exception to that. I'd rather die trying to fix my problem and rid myself of the pain than to do nothing at all.

On another note...one of my other fears is having a bad reaction to the general and the meds afterwards. I've always been one to NOT take medicines and would rather have my body heal itself if possible. So I'm hoping I don't wake up and vomit everywhere.

Joy Joy..the countdown has begun
Unread 11-08-2005, 11:12 AM

I'm not afraid of anesthesia, or of the surgery itself. I'm not even afraid of the pain. It's what happens "after" that has me the most frightened. I'm afraid of a lengthy recuperation. I don't want that to go on for months and months. I'm afraid of swelly belly and weight gain; I'm in Weight Watchers and have lost 21 pounds and have more to go, so I don't want that stalled out or, worse, reversed! Most of all, I'm afraid of not being able to do what I want to do and need to do within a few weeks. Or maybe my fear is that I won't be able to do what others want/need me to do within a short time.
Unread 11-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Hello ladies. Going Thursday the 10th and I have a lot of fears. The pain, hormones and being put to sleep. What worries me the most is how my DH and children will do when I'm down and out. I am the domestic engineer (cute,huh) in the family. I do it all. There are people to help but if your like me, nobody does it better then me. LOL !! As they say " This too shall pass." Good luck to you all and thanks.
Unread 11-08-2005, 11:46 AM

I was afraid of this too but even more afraid of waking up during the middle of it and not being able to moveto tell anyone. I opted for a spinal anesthesia and then they sedated me (This type of anesthesia you come out of quicker and has less chance of anesthesia recovery complications) That way if I woke up in the middle I still wouldn't feel anything. Regardless of which type of anesthesia you use -talk to the anesthesiologist and you will feel completely at ease... they have a vested interest in keeping you alive and working with you to customize your anesthesia for your benefit.
Unread 11-08-2005, 11:49 AM

The best thing on the planet to stop you from throwing uf is Zofran (sp?), They probably already plan to give you that. They will if you express concern about barfing. They don't want you to heave either-It puts a strain on your incision after surgery. They will take very good care of you.
Unread 11-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Going to sleep and not waking up is mine. My husband gets upset when I tell him what to do if I don't make it. I could care less about the pain and being sick after. That stuff will pass.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register