Upcoming hysterectomy 5/16: I am new here and quite lost :) (complex hyperplasia; overweight) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/16: I am new here and quite lost :) (complex hyperplasia; overweight) Upcoming hysterectomy 5/16: I am new here and quite lost :) (complex hyperplasia; overweight)

Unread 04-14-2021, 09:05 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/16: I am new here and quite lost :) (complex hyperplasia; overweight)

You are absolutely right about shutting out the world a bit. I have worked so hard for the past several years it may just be time to give my mind a good rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/16: I am new here and quite lost :) (complex hyperplasia; overweight)

Hello!
I have a few things that might help:

I have high BP too, just follow your doctor's orders as far as meds go.

Post worries here if you are looking for advice/feedback. I would come here daily before my surgery and just vent all my worries and got so much feedback and advice.

If you buy anything, try to buy close to surgery date so you can return it if you don't use it. I have an unused body pillow sitting in a corner since I couldn't return it

Make a list of concerns/questions for your doctor for your next visit.

I took up knitting/crochet during my recovery and it's turned into an ongoing and enjoyable hobby! I saved a list of shows to watch too. Knitting/crochet really helped me feel less restless while resting! When you're just learning (and you can learn everything on youtube), it can take a lot of concentration and helps the time pass very nicely. I still use the blanket I made during my recovery.

I only had gas one time when I overdid it one time (I had Abd H so that might make a difference) but it was pretty annoying. I just took Gas X. What I really needed most of all was something for constipation. Check with your doctor on what you can take but Milk of Magnesia really relieved some discomfort for me.

The first week of recovery was semi uncomfortable but I felt better each day and the last 3 of the 6 weeks were like a mini vacation!
Unread 04-15-2021, 05:00 PM

I was doing pretty good until they finalized the surgery date with me yesterday. Then the feeling of dread came....that heaviness that you can't get out of a situation.......don't want to do it. Mostly I am scared of being stood on my head during surgery. I am concerned about breathing. I hate waking up in recovery because I never have enough air flow and that machine beeps wildly and ppl yell at me to breathe. Did anyone wake up with presure on the chest? That happened to me with laparoscopic gall bladder removal and was horrifying. It was the gas putting pressure on my chest. I made the mistake of watching the robotic hysteretomy on youtube. I shouldn't have done that. LOL How do these doctors do this day after day? They have my respect. When I saw a blood vessel pumping out.....mercy. I don't know how to get rid of the extreme fear and tense...I don't know how to remain calm......I just don't know. But I figure at some point....you just pull yourself up by your big girl pants and do it. Right now I am emotional but my husband doesn't want to hear it. He says I think too much. I do and I know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2021, 06:15 PM

Hi LilyPearl,
I’m so sorry that you’re overwhelmed - probably too much at once - the surgery date being finalized, worrying about past surgeries...topped off with “visual effects”. Many of us know this feeling of system overload.

You should definitely discuss your previous bad experiences with breathing after surgery with your entire medical team. You have valid concerns and your team needs to know about your medical history. You’ve previously mentioned your high regard for your doctor - so try to have confidence in her judgment to help you get through this.

Your husband is probably a bit scared too and doesn’t want to make you feel worse. When things calm down a bit, you can show him the great section we have for spouses, partners, parents, friends - it will give him a better idea of how you are feeling and will give him tips as well to cope with surgery and recovery.

Here is the link: MisterHysters

Try to relax and no more videos

We are here for you. Deep breaths. You can and will do this.
Unread 04-16-2021, 12:08 PM

I feel a bit better today. I got some extra sleep. Spent some time in prayer.

I have ordered or purchased the list I have found on this site to help me. I will even pack my bag early so I don't have to think about any of that anymore.

I truly appreciate this website. There are so many things I have read that have helped me!!!!!!!!!! This really is a wonderful place and so are all of you who have replied to me. You just have no idea how thankful I am. All of the friends close enough to know what is going on with me are just amazed at how much I have learned from the website. All of them live far away and many outside of the US. None of them knew half of what I have told them. All of them had total abdominal surgeries the old school way through stomach incision and each had a long recovery. They are all excited to see how fast I progress. To our generation robotic surgery is a gigantic leap.

My mother, who had a total hysterectomy in 1969, was in the hospital for a week and at home recovering for 3-4 months and that was standard. My friends also fell into that category in the 70s and 80s.

I always felt I was the one who would get to escape the Castle. Everyone else had begun to believe it too. I think my friends are just as disappointed as I am in that regard. However, I always loved cutting edge medical and to be a part of it at my age is very wonderful.

I am glad I watched that video even though it bothered me for a bit. I will certainly be thanking my doctor for being able to do this surgery day in and day out. The only thing that bothered me was seeing the blood vessels leak and them cauterizing. I was like "hurry hurry". I guess that's the difference between a doctor and a patient.

I have already spoken to my Primary Care doctor and the Gynecologist and told them both to stop putting me in the middle and communicate with one another and work together for my care and well-being. I told them both that a freaked out patient isn't supposed to be trying to get them to work together. It seems staff in both offices are a bit lazy requiring me to do their foot work and I was assured communication would now ensue between the doctors themselves. That will make this MUCH easier.

The head of anesthesia at the hospital is going to meet with me and check me out himself. My d&c and hysteroscopy at the hospital were completed by a 100% female team, including a female doctor of anesthesiology. There were zero males in my operating room and recovery and the only male that came near me the entire time was one male nurse who checked my vitals on the way out. I am a former victim of severe abuse by my first husband over 40 years ago and they still protect me in ways that are just surprising...things I don't even think about until I see the way they approach me or hear the way they say things. The little things they do for me all add up to a lot of relief.

The way the hospital has it set up, women's surgery is all housed one one floor. We have our own operating rooms, our own recovery center, all women operating teams, and our rooms are all on the same floor for the night or week as needed. There is also a breast center located on the same floor. It is completely separated from everything else in the hospital by design for safety for mothers-to-be and elderly women. It is a very huge set-up with all brand new equipment. They purchase new equipment constantly because it stays so busy. I do wish this was the set up in every single city although I do believe it must be happening more and more from things I have read.

I was on this floor for pre-op before my D&C and was there as they moved 2 women from recovery to their rooms . I kept seeing these huge square boxes on their stomach areas. I have figured out that must have been ice. They seemed quite awake and both were smiling.

The day after my procedure I had a card in my mailbox signed by my operating team with prayers and well wishes for a speedy recovery. Quite remarkable.

So as I ponder these things, I know they will take very good care of me and I need to just remember. And with all of you cheering me on, how can I lose? Ultimately my life is in the hands of the Almighty.

I am sure I will need to be reminded of this several times during the pre-operative time.
Unread 04-16-2021, 12:15 PM

I forgot to say that I found out I will not have to do a bowel prep. Apparently that is not a requirement for my doctor anymore for robotic surgery. I just have to do a clear liquid diet the day before surgery. That's easy.

Does anyone have any cool ideas for clear liquid diet?
Unread 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM

Well my ideas For a clear diet, are not cool but doable

Just a tip/heads up: Do not drink anything that is red or purple", without asking your doctor first. The “typical” menu is short: non-red jello,
bouillon, consomme, packaged vegetable, chicken or beef broth without any particles of dried seasonings or herbs, gelatin, flavored ices, sugar, honey, sugar substitutes, juices include apple, cranberry and grape (last two are reddish/purple so not sure if you can have those til okay from your doc)- Also ASK about sodas like ginger ale, 7-Up, Sprite, seltzer, and cola, Gatorade, black coffee and tea. Specifically excluded, everything else - big sigh - such as nectars, milk, juices with pulp and alcoholic beverages. The nurse told me I should try to get plenty of sugar, since that will be my only source of calories during the day, to hopefully prevent being weak and feeling poorly. Not even doctor wants their patients on a “sugar fix” so please find out what your dr would prefer

Big HUG to you, good luck with your surgery
Unread 04-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Check out this article please;

What To Eat on a Liquid Diet
Unread 04-16-2021, 12:38 PM

Oh gee MarciaMae, I was trying to be creative. muahahahahaha
Unread 04-16-2021, 12:40 PM

So would I ❤️

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register