New here - confused and scared about options | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here - confused and scared about options New here - confused and scared about options

Unread 04-13-2021, 04:31 AM
New here - confused and scared about options

Hi, I am new here and have never posted anything on any site before! I am really stuck and confused and would love some advice from anyone, particularly those who have been through a similar situation.
I am 51 years old and 12 years ago I had oestrogen receptive breast cancer. I took Tamoxifen for ten years (now stopped). I have been clear of breast cancer since but the tamoxifen has caused issues in my uterus. I have been diagnosed with atypical hyperplasia. I had three polyps removed, one of which had atypical cells. Subsequent biopsies have been all clear. My consultant wants to perform a total hysterectomy including ovaries. I am very unsure about having my ovaries removed as I have read about the protective benefits of keeping them even beyond menopause. My hyperplasia can’t be treated with progesterone nor can I be given hormones post hysterectomy because of my breast cancer history. My consultant said that with no family history of breast cancer my chances of developing future ovarian cancer is low but he still recommends removing them. I am currently having terrible bleeding which is causing me to be anaemic so I need to make a decision-the alternative to hysterectomy is to have biopsies every three months but that won’t stop the bleeding. I would be so grateful for anyone’s experiences/thoughts particularly about having ovaries removed (or not) without the ability to have hormones afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2021, 04:15 PM
Re: New here - confused and scared about options

I suggest you either listen to your doctor's advice and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion as well. I have been diagnosed with the same thing and am scheduled for a DaVinci hysterectomy in May. I think I am looking at the hysterectomy as a gift of saving my life instead of allowing cancer to develop and take it. I will also be losing my ovaries. My mom lost hers in the 1960s and she's nearly 90 today and quite healthy.
Unread 04-18-2021, 02:33 PM
Re: New here - confused and scared about options

Hi

I had a total hysterectomy in 2015 aged 58, which is a bit older than you. I was still in menopause, but can honestly say I had no side effects following ovary removal.

I think you have to take the best professional advice available.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyPearl View Post
I suggest you either listen to your doctor's advice and get a 2nd or 3rd opinion as well. I have been diagnosed with the same thing and am scheduled for a DaVinci hysterectomy in May. I think I am looking at the hysterectomy as a gift of saving my life instead of allowing cancer to develop and take it. I will also be losing my ovaries. My mom lost hers in the 1960s and she's nearly 90 today and quite healthy.
Thank you for your reply. That’s a very healthy and positive way of looking at things which makes total sense. Great to hear that your mom is doing so well. Wishing you a swift recovery in May
Unread 04-20-2021, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethUK View Post
Hi

I had a total hysterectomy in 2015 aged 58, which is a bit older than you. I was still in menopause, but can honestly say I had no side effects following ovary removal.

I think you have to take the best professional advice available.

Thank you for your reply, I feel reassured to hear that you had a positive experience.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register