Fibroid Bleeding after 50 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid Bleeding after 50 Fibroid Bleeding after 50

Unread 08-15-2021, 06:14 PM
Fibroid Bleeding after 50

Hello! I am 54 and as of 2 years ago in 2019 i was not yet menopausal. I am now menopausal (based on hormone levels in blood test) and am having a heck of a time with fibroids that are causing bleeding - would love to hear about experiences from others who have had fibroids bleeding post-menopause. I have a hysterectomy scheduled at the end of Oct - a little nervous about a sarcoma. .... the lead up to where i am now is as follows... they were doing ultrasounds and blood tests to track a complex ovarian cycst on me , starting in 2019.. During 2020 I skipped my regular ultrasound due to covid and since i wasn't having any issues. In March of 2021, i had another ultrasound that showed no cyst but did show a polyp. During the course of the past 2 years the ultrasounds also showed fibroids but no one ever mentioned it to me and nor did i have any issues. I had been having periods on a regular schedule my whole life but (progressively getting heavier this past year). I was working remotely for work form March to June this year but saw a surgeon in jUne for polyp removal. She asked if i was interested in Hysterectomy given my fibroids but i wasn't having any real issues so I said no - just hystereoscopy ... So, i had my period just before the hysteroscopy and it was out of control heavy - they put my on norethindrone - which controlled it immediately. She removed 1 of the polyps but couldn't get to the rest since one of my fibroids had obliterated the uterine wall and it's so stiff and fiberous - she couldn't really 'inflate it' with saline as she would normally. Unfortunately, the bleeding started all over again a week after the polypectomy. The biopsy came back negative for that polyp and she 'tried' a D&C but she said i rea;ly don't have endometrium - my uterous is all fiberous. She tried to get some tissue sample (which she did) which also came back negative. She did some blood tests to confirm if i was post-menopause (apparently i am now, in 2019 i wasn't ) - but oddly i had regular 'periods' up until June - & the out of control bleeding started. She also ordered a more recent ultrasound which shows that my 3 larger fibroids are still growing . The larger one grew by 25% since march and is now at 4cm (which i realize is not as big as many) . Given my post menopausal status, and ongoing bleeding that has evolved over the last 60 days and new discomfort (cramping and peeing all the time), I am feeling ok about hysterectomy. I am controlling bleeding with the norethindrone and have my hysterectomy scheduled for the end of Oct. It will likely be LAVH - everything but ovaries. I don't have uterine cancer in the family but a little worried given my 50+ and post menopausal status... and that the fibroids are still growing! Would love to hear any similar experiences and insights....!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2021, 07:57 PM
Fibroid Bleeding after 50

Fibroids will continue to grow when they have a blood supply. It’s not all that unusual as there is no magic cut off point. My fibroids were bleeding profusely at 50. Finally at 51 I was embolized with a procedure called UAE. After I was embolized I never bled again. Two years later fibroid has shrank by approximately 90%. I’m not sure if I was post menopausal or not as I never had hormone testing but I was definitely middle aged. It was interesting to me that I never had another period though so maybe I was? Sarcomas are very rare. Odds are it’s a benign fibroid with an established blood supply. UAE blocks blood from being routed to the fibroid and thus it shrinks. I’m not recommending as it’s a personal decision how far one will go to spare their uterus although I was surprised how successful it worked in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibroid Jane View Post
Hello! I am 54 and as of 2 years ago in 2019 i was not yet menopausal. I am now menopausal (based on hormone levels in blood test) and am having a heck of a time with fibroids that are causing bleeding - would love to hear about experiences from others who have had fibroids bleeding post-menopause. I have a hysterectomy scheduled at the end of Oct - a little nervous about a sarcoma. .... the lead up to where i am now is as follows... they were doing ultrasounds and blood tests to track a complex ovarian cycst on me , starting in 2019.. During 2020 I skipped my regular ultrasound due to covid and since i wasn't having any issues. In March of 2021, i had another ultrasound that showed no cyst but did show a polyp. During the course of the past 2 years the ultrasounds also showed fibroids but no one ever mentioned it to me and nor did i have any issues. I had been having periods on a regular schedule my whole life but (progressively getting heavier this past year). I was working remotely for work form March to June this year but saw a surgeon in jUne for polyp removal. She asked if i was interested in Hysterectomy given my fibroids but i wasn't having any real issues so I said no - just hystereoscopy ... So, i had my period just before the hysteroscopy and it was out of control heavy - they put my on norethindrone - which controlled it immediately. She removed 1 of the polyps but couldn't get to the rest since one of my fibroids had obliterated the uterine wall and it's so stiff and fiberous - she couldn't really 'inflate it' with saline as she would normally. Unfortunately, the bleeding started all over again a week after the polypectomy. The biopsy came back negative for that polyp and she 'tried' a D&C but she said i rea;ly don't have endometrium - my uterous is all fiberous. She tried to get some tissue sample (which she did) which also came back negative. She did some blood tests to confirm if i was post-menopause (apparently i am now, in 2019 i wasn't ) - but oddly i had regular 'periods' up until June - & the out of control bleeding started. She also ordered a more recent ultrasound which shows that my 3 larger fibroids are still growing . The larger one grew by 25% since march and is now at 4cm (which i realize is not as big as many) . Given my post menopausal status, and ongoing bleeding that has evolved over the last 60 days and new discomfort (cramping and peeing all the time), I am feeling ok about hysterectomy. I am controlling bleeding with the norethindrone and have my hysterectomy scheduled for the end of Oct. It will likely be LAVH - everything but ovaries. I don't have uterine cancer in the family but a little worried given my 50+ and post menopausal status... and that the fibroids are still growing! Would love to hear any similar experiences and insights....!
Unread 08-16-2021, 08:36 PM
Re: Fibroid Bleeding after 50

Thank you @sisterduke for your insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Re: Fibroid Bleeding after 50

I think UAE is definitely something you should look at as a viable alternative. A hysterectomy is major surgery which takes a number of weeks to recover from initially, and full recovery taking longer.

I had a single fibroid which remained at 5cm for 16 years after the birth of my daughter. After I got off the BC pill, it doubled in size in 5 months and acquired a bunch of rowdy roommates. I was 53, had no idea if I were menopausal because bleeding came anywhere from 2-6 weeks apart. It was heavy and unlike previous periods. I had my hysterectomy at age 54, and the doctor lost count at 15 'broids.

Your surgery is far enough out that you may wish to get a second opinion and investigate the UAE - we encourage getting a second opinion for an alternative treatment. If you're not a candidate or simply wish to be done with it, we'll be here for you pre- and post-hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register