Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: Pre op cleansing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: Pre op cleansing? Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: Pre op cleansing?

Unread 07-25-2020, 07:43 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: Pre op cleansing?

I have a laparoscopic vaginal assist hysterectomy on Monday. They didn’t give me any Hibiclens or any directions to shower with anything in the vaginal area. So is that normal? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2020, 01:29 AM
Re: Pre op cleansing

I was given some packs of cleansing wipes. I had to shower, wait to be dry completely (about 2 hours) then had to wipe down a certain area of my body with each of the wipes given. I was not to use them on the genital area - just wash as normal in the shower.

I had to repeat everything with the wipes and all at the hospital before the surgery that morning. They left me feeling a little 'slick' skinned.

Not sure why you didn't get anything -- doctors all have different protocols maybe?
Unread 07-26-2020, 04:55 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: Pre op cleansing?

I got the hipicleanse pre surgical soap at the store. I bought it at a grocery store and it was located near the bandages. It came in a bottle.

I was told to take a shower the night before, use on hands , not a cloth or sponge, from the neck down and let it sit for one minute, rinse and dry and sleep in clean sheets and then shower again with it the next morning before my surgery before heading to the hospital.

They didn't give me any, just told me what I needed and I purchased it at the store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2020, 05:15 AM

I was only told to shower that morning before leaving for the hospital, no special soap or anything. Different hospitals/doctors have there own protocols and its important to do what yours says.
Unread 07-26-2020, 09:38 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 7/27: Pre op cleansing?

Than you guys for responding. I have some Hibiclens type soap already, so I’ll just use that in the morning. Every surgery I’ve had has been different. This was an unexpected surgery. I had breast cancer last year and just started the reconstruction process when things started to go downhill, but I’ll get through this.
Unread 07-26-2020, 03:27 PM

I was not told or given anything special to clean the vaginal area, so I will clean as I normally would. I am thinking they might have the patient clean after arrival if nothing has be said yet, and I know they prepare each patient before surgery. Call them and ask.
I have no idea what the normal procedure is, but as someone said, each hospital has their own way of getting us prepared for surgery.
The one thing they did tell me is do not use anything after my shower, no lotion, no deodorant, no blue fingernail polish, no polish on my toenails. (I don't use any polish at all on hands or feet) Ha! Nothing in my hair, no jewlery. Don't take anything valuable either.
I am going to take an extension cord so I can recharge my phone and reach it. Somehow I think getting up and down may not be so fun right after surgery.
Unread 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM

Hi Royalbailey -

You should follow all of your doctor's orders to the letter: no additions and no subtractions. Also do not do anything with your vaginal area, unless told to.

Every doctor is different, every surgery is different. I was told to shower with just soap and water and to not use anything else. I was also told not to shave anything or wear any makeup or nail polish. Here are articles:
Shaving or Waxing before Hysterectomy
Nail Polish and Hysterectomy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register