I Need Support From Sister Who Understand | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Smoke out!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Need Support From Sister Who Understand I Need Support From Sister Who Understand

Unread 03-22-2015, 08:19 AM
I Need Support From Sister Who Understand

I had my TAH 2/4/13 since then I have gained 25lbs and still a smoker.

I have been dieting this week and last night I while trying to sleep I realized that more than anything I need to quit smoking. I could hear myself wheezing.

I have a high stress job and a beautiful 8 year old which I was 41 when she was born.

I notice that all the women I know that are 10 to 15 years older the I who are great in their age are non smokers. I don't want my child to see cigarettes take her mom.

I seen my mom being held hostage by cigarettes and leaving me 2 months after my hysterectomy, She was 66 and an aunt 3 months later at 59.

I just don't want to be held hostage anymore and know that I can do it. Just where do I start? Smoking and Weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Re: I Need Support From Sister Who Understand

You can do it! You may try and fail, but do keep trying. I quit 4 months before surgery and was already stressed with weight issues from the Lupron I was taken. To battle that I filled by fridge with carrot sticks, berries, grapes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber wedges and snacked on only those. After about a month of quitting I found that I can take longer and faster walks and then eventually started to exercise. I lost almost 20 pounds before my surgery and I stopped thinking about cigarettes but can't wait to get back to my exercises. I also used NRT up and until the surgery and found it helped.
Unread 04-29-2015, 07:38 AM
I Need Support From Sister Who Understand

I am also 41 and I was able to quit smoking before my surgery. I smoked for 20+ years and thought smoking was great. I know this sounds wonky but I was able to quit by reading The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Alan Carr. I truly recommend this book and I am not affiliated in any way with the author nor do I stand to benefit if you buy this book. I believe in this book so much I would buy it for you as a gift. Please feel free to contact me at any point while trying to stop smoking. I know you can do it!
Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2015, 10:41 PM

When I woke up from surgery there was an issue with my oxygen saturation. The dr. Had put a nicotine patch on me to avoid withdrawls. He then spoke to me about my oxygen levels. It scared me so bad that I have not had a real cig since the night before the surgery. I wear a patch and smoke a zero nicotine ecig if I need the motion of smokibg. At 51 I want to be healthy. I had quit 8 times previously and started back 9. You have to decide what and when is right for you. I feel a 100 percent better. There are free online stop smoking support websites as well as apps. For me all it to was an 80 percent saturation level on 6 liters of oxygen and I was done. Do it for yourself. I have a high stressed job 2 hour commute a disabled husband and son. So I understand how smoking is a break from it all. The problem is my breaks almost broke me. Do some research look into some ecig and decide for you. I will keep you in my prayers. Best wishes.
Unread 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM

I do understand it was my grandparents who smoked, 3 left us to soon all from cancer and my Gram made to 93 and only stopped smoking because my dad would not allow the RNs to give them to her.. I stopped smoking for two years, then I went through a rough patch and started smoking again. As soon as I smoked the first one it was like I never put them down, I swear within a month my health right back to where it had been, wheezing all the time. This did make me stop it was just easier to smoke then to fight it. I smoke for 3 more years.

One day I was talking to my sweet husband who does not show emotions and he teared and said he hated to see me smoke because every drag I took I was killing myself and he did not want to lose me....wow that hit me in the face like a brick. So a month before my surgery I started Chantix, I had minimal side effects. I did not smoke while you n the hospital. When I got home I would lght a cigarette take a drag or two and then put it out. So I smoke a total of 2-3 a day. I starting to enjoy them again and was scared I was going go back to smoking 1.5 packs a day.

I was back at work part time 3 weeks post op. One day co worker who is only 25, left our job in ambulance, with " stroke" like symptoms. Well, that hit me hard since she isy work wife.. Lol. So I looked into Vapes, spoke to her about it and I am happy to say with the help of the vape I have not smoked in three weeks....
My work wife did not have a stroke, she had what is call TIA, and she to has not smoked with help from a vape....now we are weaning oourselves off the vape which is easier.... Good luck
Unread 09-07-2015, 09:29 PM

I can't provide any tips on weight loss as I am struggling with weight gain myself since I had surgery last year.

As far as stopping smoking goes, I highly recommend a nicotine patch. They worked wonders for me and I have been smoke free for almost a year and a half now. I experienced no cravings whatsoever. There is the cost of the patch involved but when you weigh that against the cost of cigarettes, there is no comparison. I was unable to complete the entire 10 week program as I developed an allergic reaction to the adhesive (I am also allergic to Elastoplast band-aids) so willpower took over and I have never felt better. Good luck to anyone trying to quit. I smoked for over 30 years and if I can do you, so can you!

Hugs
Unread 09-07-2015, 09:39 PM

I quit 2 months before surgery. For my last pack, every time I had a cigarette, I would break some off to smoke less. My last cigarette had 1 drag left. I then started on the lozenges/gum. I only smoked 12 a day, so it didn't seem that hard. I smoked for 33 years and it will be 2 years in November since my last one.
Unread 09-07-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinl11 View Post
I quit 2 months before surgery. For my last pack, every time I had a cigarette, I would break some off to smoke less. My last cigarette had 1 drag left. I then started on the lozenges/gum. I only smoked 12 a day, so it didn't seem that hard. I smoked for 33 years and it will be 2 years in November since my last one.

Congratulations!!
Unread 09-08-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabesoon View Post
You can do it! You may try and fail, but do keep trying. I quit 4 months before surgery and was already stressed with weight issues from the Lupron I was taken. To battle that I filled by fridge with carrot sticks, berries, grapes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber wedges and snacked on only those. After about a month of quitting I found that I can take longer and faster walks and then eventually started to exercise. I lost almost 20 pounds before my surgery and I stopped thinking about cigarettes but can't wait to get back to my exercises. I also used NRT up and until the surgery and found it helped.

This is best advice since it helps both issues. I am almost 5 years smoke free and i lost 24 pounds this year. Cucumbers are a really big thing because so filling and so much water. Watermelon also helps.

I used champix to help me quit though and kept 1/2 a pack with me. When i would really want them i would "talk" to them, saying i could do it etc. I had tried previously and threw away my smokes which made me think of them more. Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register