new member | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-22-2003, 02:07 PM

New to the site...
Had a TAH BSO back in Jan. 1998...have to say, I have had digestive problems (i.e. IBS) that I never had before. Also major joint problems, but I'm not sure it's because of the hyst or the natural aging process (I'm 53). Same with the memory loss/fuzzy thinking. I am especially sad about the loss of libido, and can't quite figure out what to do. I am missing my organs in a major way, even though they were in bad shape. I'm angry with the (male) doctor I consulted for a second opinion, because he was so quick to say to remove my healthy ovaries...he had just seen a case of ovarian cancer, and so recommended removal for all his patients. I feel really different after the operation, and it's been 5 years now. I took HRT until just recently, when I decided to wean myself off it to see how I'd feel. Don't feel much different, so I think I'll stay off it.
I don't know if anyone feels this way, but I wish I'd left my ovaries intact. I wish there was something I could do to increase my sex drive. The constipation/diarrhea has been a major problem too. Wish I knew how I'd feel if I had my ovaries. I realize ovarian cancer is hard to detect, but I'm not sure removing them prophylactically is such a good idea.
Thanks for listening...
J-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2003, 02:16 PM

Hi, I'm really not good with knowing the right words to say to someone who is not feeling well but wanted to let you know how sorry I am you have had a bad experience. The others here are so good at knowing what to say, so mostly I just read. I'm sure you will get good advice from others who have been there.

I just felt the need to let you know you are in my prayers
Unread 04-22-2003, 03:27 PM

I know some women who had their ovaries removed and are doing fine on HRT. At 53 your ovaries might have been shutting down about now. I understand your concerns. I had a hard time post op (now I am 9 weeks) and have to think a lot about positives to not get down. It is tougher than I thought, but with positive thinking, hormones, and prayer, I am keeping a good outlook. Don't give up on finding a dr. who will listen and give you answers. goodluck and prayers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2003, 09:15 PM

((J))

Welcome to the Road, it's a place where everyone discovers they are not alone. I don't think any of us want to continue on this journey but realize we must deal with where we are. I am sorry about you feeling so low about having your ovaries removed. I wanted to invite you to also visit the desert https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...?s=&forumid=34 . There are lots of ladies there that can not take HRTs or decided to not take them like you. They have great ideas on how you might be able to compensate for the symptoms you are experiencing etc. Have you discussed your concerns with your DR?? Maybe a second opinion would be in order too. Please don't give up on getting part of your life back, there are lots of remedies and medical help out there to help you with all the issues you discussed.

Big s and to you,
lenee
Unread 04-28-2003, 12:48 PM
thank you

Thanks for all your help. I will definitely not give up on this.
Joan
Unread 04-28-2003, 02:52 PM

Welcome the the land of the sisters!!

I am so sorry that you are feeling such a loss. I had both ovaries removed a well (thank goodness because the were both pre-cancerous) and am on HRT. I hate to say this, but I am 33 and have never really had a sex drive to lose.

I would be really mad too if I had my organs removed because of someone elses medical condition. That is just not fair. I guess it is something you have to accept though since they can not be brought back unfortunatly.

We are all here for you and just know you are not alone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register