Considering Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Considering Hysterectomy Considering Hysterectomy

Unread 10-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Considering Hysterectomy

HI, I am a 28yr old female diagnosed with Adenomyosis, Endometriosis, PCOS and a tilted Uterus. I have clotted heavy extremely painful periods. My periods got better after having baby 1 and 10 months after baby 2 things started going downhill. I started breaking out again ALL OVER, Hot flashes and hormonal spikes to start. Now I am having very painful, clotted periods again and my leg is starting to go numb again. I HATE being on hormones, I was so kind and patient when I tried the Copper T iud(after baby1), but alas the extremely irregular periods began and I had to go back on hormones. I am so cranky and mean and irritable. I feel it is hurting my family and me. I just want to be myself on my natural hormones, but the periods and the pain and irregularity do not allow that. I am considering a Hysterectomy, leaving my ovaries. I am so tired of "try this pill, wait, try this pill, wait, etc."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Re: Considering Hysterectomy

I would suggest speaking with your GYN. It sounds as though you are done. I mentioned a hysterectomy in March at my yearly and my GYN brushed me off because of my age (34). I was supposed to have my hyster 6.5 years ago, but have since moved so I have a new GYN. It wasn't until a general surgeon she referred me to for hernias reviewed my CT scans and found I had 7 masses on my remaining ovary (had my first one removed 7 years ago for a borderline cancer) that she changed her tune, ordered CA-125's and HE-4's and when my CA-125's came back positive I was then referred to a GYN/ONC. I met with my GYN/ONC on July 2nd this year and was in the OR on July 24th. My hysterectomy is the best thing I could have done for me. I didn't have heavy periods, but I did have cramping, and it would come when it wanted. I at one time had 3 periods within 6 weeks. It wore me out never knowing when it would show up. Good luck to you honey.
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:55 PM

It's a huge decision but one that I'm grateful for despite my setbacks! I didn't go to my dr asking for it, she's been after me to have one for ten years. However when I started having major pains that went along with the massive bleeding and debilitating periods that lasted months at a time I didn't blink an eye when she wanted to "just go take a peek". Well she did and all of my female organs plus bowel and bladder were glued to the front of my abdominal wall with adhesions. It was inevitable for me and frankly sounds like it will be with you too. It just depends on when for you. I'm 39 so not all that old. . Talk to your dr about your hormonal expectations as well, they're not guaranteed even with ovaries. Keep reading around this site, you'll see someone of every case imaginable. To briefly answer you, yes it's a great decision. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2013, 08:43 PM

I was sick and tired of all the options. It took forever to even have any type of diagnosis (pelvic congestion syndrome). The chronic/painful stomach aches and periods were depressing. I would spend hours in bed, missing out on time with my kids/husband. After dealing with the pain for the past couple of years, I decided to have a hysterectomy. My procedure was this past Tuesday. My ovaries were left (which I was concerned about). I have to say- I haven't felt this good in years!!! I feel like a new person. I cannot wait till the healing is complete so I can really live my life. I am SOOOO happy. I wish I didn't wait so long to have the procedure. The healing pain now is nothing compared to the pain I had!!!!
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:56 AM

if someone was to have a total laparoscopic hysterectomy removing the uterus and cervix, leaving the ovaries; would they still menstruate? or just have the other hormonal changes?
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:28 AM

You will not menstruate if you have your cervix removed. You have a chance of mini periods if you keep your cervix, but not all women get those.

I am keeping my ovaries and they are taking everything else and I was told that I'd still cycle and have my usual PMS and monthly migraines, but no bleeding.

As much as I'd love to get rid of the migraines and me and everyone who knows me would love me to lose the PMS, I'll be content with just stopping the bleeding which is what is causing me the most health problems and is most life limiting for me.
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:35 AM

I wanted to also add- Since my procedure-- no sugar cravings... no candy... cake.. etc.
Unread 11-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Thank you,
I'm mostly concerned with the horribly cramping and bleeding.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:11 AM

I didn't bleed as much as I thought I would and it was very light.
Within a week I stopped wearing liners.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Hi sweetie, I'm 27 and in the same boat. Suspected adenomyosis, confirmed endometriosis, cysts and fibroids. I'm currently taking Lortab 10s for the pain, but my doctor won't give me enough to make it through the month, so I end up suffering- and so does my family. I used to be a happy, optimistic person and now I'm mean, grouchy and impatient. I'm scheduled for my hyserectomy on the 22nd and I'm planning on having my uterus, cervix and tubes removed, keeping my ovaries. If this doesn't help, I'll have to return for an oophorectomy down the road. I'm so sorry you're going through this, but please know you're not alone. ((hugs))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register